Poll: Who will win the USSA election?

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Who will be elected US President in 2016?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:00 pm

Hillary Clinton
43%
Donald Trump
50%
someone else
4%
no one
2%

Total votes: 46

thisisreallycomplicated

Re: Poll: Who will win the USSA election?

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:31 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:I understand there was a quite a sigh of relief in Ruskieland upon the election of Trump.

There was also a big sigh of relief in Coquimbo, in my living room:) But I'm still waiting for the official vote from the electors, before I completely stop worrying.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:34 am

frozen-north wrote:Jonathan Pie

After:
President Trump: How & Why... ( 6:12 min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs

If you don't mind swearing, ranting, or a British person (in character) telling Americans what to do, then I thought that this was quite interesting. I'm not saying I agree with it all, just worth a look.

I actually had not even heard that Hillary had been leaked the debate questions and not reported this or shared it with Trump. As far as I can search, that's a true story. I don't see Hillary on record about it. Surely some journalist must have asked her about this at some point.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:43 am

As for Trump, he must be regretting these tweets sent out in 2012 (at a time when he wrongly thought Obama would win electoral college without popular vote):

“The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.”
“This election is a total sham and a travesty. We are not a democracy.”
“Let’s fight like hell and stop this great and disgusting injustice. The world is laughing at us.”
“We should march on Washington and stop this travesty.”
“He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country.” (He deleted this last one.)

Well, it looks likely that Hillary Clinton will (probably) win the popular vote. So, Trump has to be stand aside or be a hypocrit. Obviously, it'll be the latter.

That's the 5th time that's happened, and it's never happened to a Republican. Just saying.

Hillary incidentally spoke out against the electoral college rather than popular vote system in the past, so both candidates have said popular vote should decide the election.

Not trying to challenge this result, I think both candidates knew and accepted the rules, no argument there.

However I think one of the problems with US politics is too much resistance to change. Hard to change something like this which requires going back to the Constitucion which is treated by some sort as something too sacred. If popular vote would be better, they should do it. I actually think most people would be in favour. Certainly both of this year's candidates were.

Probably not going to happen, but I'd favour a popular vote.

I can see the recount would be painful if there was a very, very close vote but that to me is less important than the two key flaws of the current system 1 Having Presidents that lost popular vote - now 2 times in 16 years. 2. Having the election purely decided by a few independents in Ohio and Florida, while those in places like Texas or California really have less say.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:48 am

On the one hand, legislatively speaking, a Republican house + senate + President gives a strong mandate, legally.

But losing the popular vote in a divided country decreases that mandate, not legally, but perhaps morally.

You don't want to make the Allende mistake. He got 36.6% of the vote vs two other candidates with 35.3% and 28.1% of the vote, and thought that they gave him a mandate for land grabs and massive forums.

I'd argue that Trump should try not to make massive sweeping changes like repealing Obamacare, building the wall, and so on, but respect the more modest mandate he has won. If he doesn't then things could get pretty ugly in the US. However, at the same time, he needs to try and respect the promises he's been elected to deliver, so there is a balance there.

If he's over promised vs what he can deliver, he could cite the popular vote for Hillary and the decided country as a reason for not keeping certain promises, if in any case he finds it difficult to push through certain things.

Gloria

Postby Gloria » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:04 pm

People....get over it...The Don is On!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

papageno

Postby papageno » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Morals? In politics? As evidenced by all the sordid details about Hil, Bill, their foundation and the DNC. Rotten to the core, top to bottom, from beginning to end.
But to one of your points, when large blocs can be counted on, power lies on the margin.
Lastly, about telling Americans what to do: 1776. Sorry.....

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Just an opinion.

Remember, most of those Republicans turned their backs on him as they like many Democrats were a part of that system's elite that Trump's election was supposedly a vote against. He is a complete outsider in US politics so it will be more important to see who he surrounds himself with. All this childish anger, crying and ranting may turn out to be a waste of air if he gets coopted by the same system he says he will change or modify.

And if any usually figurehead or puppet president goes too far, maybe like trying to mess with the Federal Reserve, they will get removed by the Deep State.

The biggest interesting change will come in the intelligence and military areas as reports are that many veterans (most likely neocons from the Reagan through Obomber eras) have said they would resign instead of helping a Trump administration and the Pentagon (again infested with neocons over 30 years) has yet to talk to Trump.

But the Deep State must know that after their election fiasco with Killary, it might be time to throw a bone or two to the ignored masses.

So perhaps a reversal on the costly number of military bases and force projection in every corner of the world to rebuilding US infrastructure and manufacturing base? Reformulating military and weapons strategy for cost-effective defense more than offense and force projection so the MIC should still be happy with the incoming $$ while leaving more funds to solve healthcare and other needs of the population?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Interesting points all. Interesting turnout rate of 55.6% (TBC, may change a bit). In 2012, turnout was 58.6%, and in 2008 it was 62.2%. That is not what I thought. Perhaps that suggests that people would rather vote FOR a good candidate than AGAINST a bad one.

cali_chile48

Postby cali_chile48 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:43 pm

It suggests that the extremely negative nature of the race, especially on the part of Trump, had the effect of suppressing voter turnout, which was part of their plan. The last thing in the world that the Republicans want is full participation by the electorate at the national level.

seawolf180

Postby seawolf180 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:20 pm

Gloria wrote:People....get over it...The Don is On!

:thumleft:
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

seawolf180

Postby seawolf180 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:21 pm

papageno wrote:Morals? In politics? As evidenced by all the sordid details about Hil, Bill, their foundation and the DNC. Rotten to the core, top to bottom, from beginning to end.
But to one of your points, when large blocs can be counted on, power lies on the margin.
Lastly, about telling Americans what to do: 1776. Sorry.....

crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

seawolf180

Postby seawolf180 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:24 pm

cali_chile48 wrote:It suggests that the extremely negative nature of the race, especially on the part of Trump, had the effect of suppressing voter turnout, which was part of their plan. The last thing in the world that the Republicans want is full participation by the electorate at the national level.

You are evolving from surprise, to sore looser, to just cry baby.
Hold your party's idealogy just s little accountable.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

Return to “Lobby”