General topics related to Living in Chile
snocouchs

Re: Smog-Induced Driving Restrictions?

Postby snocouchs » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:59 am

Wow! So winter really is a lot worse.

go play outside

Postby go play outside » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:50 pm

Yup, summer heat causes upwards winds, takes it away. A windy day in winter is OK.
Plus more wood-burning in winter.

go play outside

new preemergencia

Postby go play outside » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:41 am

Hi all, more restictions for Santiago people tomorrow. Odd, as today you could see right down the mountain range. But as someone close to me has just become very sick, likely related to air quality, any restrictions are good restrictions.

http://foundinchile.cl/2011/06/pre-emer ... y-27-june/

Andres

Postby Andres » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 pm

snocouchs wrote:This conversation is completely horrifying. . . . I have asthma. . . . Do people live to be like 60 here?

Here's a bit of fact from the table at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... expectancy
Life expectancy at birth (years)
Chile 78.6
United States 78.3
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

RuneTheChookcha

Postby RuneTheChookcha » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:14 pm

In my books: fact = 1. "thing that is known to exist or to be true" 2. (usu. in pl.) "item of verified information".

Does the "fact" of one's "life expectancy" at birth change, as they move from one country to another? That is the question.

May the Wikipedia tell us nothing but Truth, always.

Andres

life expectancy; life span; life tables

Postby Andres » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:19 am

RuneTheChookcha wrote:. . . Does the "fact" of one's "life expectancy" at birth change, as they move from one country to another? That is the question.

You are correct. "Life expectancy" is not a perfect measure for how long we, who are not born this year, will live. That is addressed by other values, such as "lifespan" and "life table". The values usually vary between people of different ages who live in the same location, which is one reason why there are few tables which provide generalized data for an entire country.
May the Wikipedia tell us nothing but Truth, always.

You are right, Wikipedia should not to be accepted without evaluation, but this information was from the UN, which can not be doubted. (cough)
Or, we could go with the CIA's data; another impeccable source:
United States 78.37
Chile 77.34
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

go play outside

Postby go play outside » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:33 am

Here we go again. Seriously depressing. THIS is what will make my family leave Chile.

http://foundinchile.cl/2011/07/pre-emer ... ay-july-4/

Tombi

Postby Tombi » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:15 am

Does the "fact" of one's "life expectancy" at birth change, as they move from one country to another? That is the question.
Yes it does. We just did a semester on this in Sociology. Life expectancy (across communities) is not genetic. Obviously not referring here to hereditary diseases, rather the huge gap between life expectancy of say a person born in Swaziland (40 for males, 38 for females according to WHO) and a person born in Australia (85 for males, 86 for females) or even within Australia in a low socio economic area vs wealthy suburbs. There is 17% difference in life expectancy between indigenous and non-indigenous Australians.

Living conditions, lack of public health, sanitation, high pressure work (such as assembly lines etc.) all contribute. When a Swazi person moves to Sydney, they get better health care, clean water etc. and their life expectancy rise.

Excuse my rambling ineloquent explanation. Sleepless night with the munchkins and lack of coffee....

Tombi

Postby Tombi » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:13 am

go play outside wrote:Here we go again. Seriously depressing. THIS is what will make my family leave Chile.

http://foundinchile.cl/2011/07/pre-emer ... ay-july-4/

Us too :( By the way, it was lowered again to "alerta ambiental".

La Intendencia Metropolitana levantó esta mañana preemergencia debido al mejoramiento de las condiciones de ventilación y la rebajó al estado de alerta ambiental.

Por este motivo sólo tendrán restricción los vehículos sin sello verde (no catalíticos) cuyas patentes terminen en los dígitos 3, 4, 5 y 6. Esta disposición rige entre las 7.30 y las 21 horas en la Provincia de Santiago, Puente Alto y San Bernardo.
from http://www.emol.com/noticias/nacional/2 ... -aire.html

go play outside

Postby go play outside » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:41 am

rocksana

Postby rocksana » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:24 am

Happy 4!
restriction lifted apparently

http://www.lasegunda.com/Noticias/Nacio ... icos-9-y-0

Dosedmonkey

Postby Dosedmonkey » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Yes restrictions lifted for now for some reason.

Yes the girlfriend and I had been a bit ill, bunged up, but there is some winter colds going around Santiago too, easy to catch on the metro.

Life expectancys alone don't say much, and to be honest in this day and age for america to have one of 79 is acceptable but not desireable, the biggest contributer to that wether you like it or not is dieting, smoking and alcohol. Chiles on the other hand is quite high for the part of the world its in, but smog alone in the capital is not going to effect an entire countries life expectancy also. So I think this is taken completely out of context and even subject of the thread. :P

The only fact here is, there is a smog in Santiago, WHEN are you going to start cycling/walking/using metro IF you consider your health important. ;)

Return to “Living in Chile”