Fibre through Patagonia

General topics related to Living in Chile
MJSaywell

Fibre through Patagonia

Postby MJSaywell » Tue May 23, 2017 12:43 am

Quite possibly the best thing this government will do, 4000 km fibre link from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams 6 TB . http://m.tv.emol.com/#/detail/201705191 ... o-gobierno

admin
Site Admin

Re: Fibre through Patagonia

Postby admin » Tue May 23, 2017 8:56 am

yea, bachelet was also pushing for the Chinese to help fund a direct under water cable from Chile to China, as all south american fiber runs through North America.

I still would not give her too much credit, as that project has been underway for about a decade. For example, little Futa has fiber optic, and i believe most of the Northern Patagonia by now (I have not paid much attention to it recently).

Meanwhile, I have fiber optic less than a km from my house, and can not get the phone company to install the last km even though there are like 30 houses that would all buy it.

The really funny one was I have telsur fiber optic at my office. Think it was like 15 mb a second, and they offered up to 120. I tried to upgrade the connection, but they were going to force us to drop an associated plan that gave us unlimited national long distance on our phones. Which would just cost us a pile of money. Couple weeks ago out of the blue they call us to say they are upgrading our connection for free. Great. Except I was totally begging them to take my money for the same upgrade just a few weeks earlier.

The most commonly violated business rule in Chile: DON'T MAKE ME BEG YOU TO TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Still, I guess of all things an ISP in Chile could do wrong, that is one i can not complain about too much.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

lost gringo

Postby lost gringo » Tue May 23, 2017 4:13 pm

admin wrote:Couple weeks ago out of the blue they call us to say they are upgrading our connection for free.

Wish that would be true in my neck of the woods. I live 2 km from the Carretera Austral and have no internet or cell service. The road was recently paved and at the same time they laid fiber optic cable. I offered to pay for my nearest neighbor, who lives along the road, to connect to the fiber optic cable so we both could have internet service. They want $10,000 dollars to connect to his house and his house is only 10 meters from the cable but apparently a few kilometers from a "drop". :shock:
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed May 24, 2017 1:03 pm

they really need a program in Chile for internet connection that is similar to the rural electrification project that pays for the last km or two of connection to rural houses. The part that is too expensive for the companies to make the numbers work.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Thu May 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Why don't they do wifi on power poles along the route, that's what many areas are doing, not the best but with a wifi booster at home works fine.....
It's all about the wine.

christian jutt

Postby christian jutt » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:46 pm

Our fiber optic internet from Telesur has been awesome. We live in the parcelas outside of Puerto Varas and they extended the network to our neighborhood. We had to pay an outside landscape guy to trench from the street up to the house (about 100 feet) and then a tech to run the wire from the street to the house to the second floor to the router, but the cost wasn´t too much (about $100 for all of the install work) and now we pay about $50 a month for the connection. It took a LOT of Telesur techs a lot of visits to iron out all of the configuration issues (over a period of weeks) but they were up to the challenge and a good attitude. Now we have a 100 mbps connection which has been great and it has never dropped or slowed down significantly. We use skype, whatsapp, download a LOT of data from the internet, enjoy Netflix and I might begin online teaching soon with the handy videocam on the pc. The speed and reliability of our internet has made a huge difference to living here. I sympathize with everyone that´s still stick with the crummy wireless routers on the Entel provider network, but that´s all that´s available in a lot of places.

41southchile

Postby 41southchile » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:39 pm

According to this ranking Chile sits slightly ahead of Iraq but below the Palestinian territory in broadband speeds coming in at 128th place. http://telecoms.governmentcomputing.com ... st-5896278

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:48 pm

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:55 pm

lost gringo wrote:
admin wrote:Couple weeks ago out of the blue they call us to say they are upgrading our connection for free.

Wish that would be true in my neck of the woods. I live 2 km from the Carretera Austral and have no internet or cell service. The road was recently paved and at the same time they laid fiber optic cable. I offered to pay for my nearest neighbor, who lives along the road, to connect to the fiber optic cable so we both could have internet service. They want $10,000 dollars to connect to his house and his house is only 10 meters from the cable but apparently a few kilometers from a "drop". :shock:

lost gringo, $10 k is a wholly s!!t! Mashugana indeed. Can't you be a little creative and go dug up where the fibre optic cable
is buried and find a competent ?maestro? to laid the connecting cable? ( don't know how much those fibre optic cable cost in Chile)..Share the cost with your neighbor, urg, sorry you said you would pay for your neighbor share to extend the cable, so having your neighbor pay for anything is a kaput I guess.?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Return to “Living in Chile”