Chile 2017 Presidential Election

General topics related to Living in Chile
tombrad2

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby tombrad2 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Thats true, Piñera make it better with his mount shut, same as all other candidates as well :D
I guess this time Piñera has a good momentum and many people will go to vote
Arica in a nutshell (updated) at :
http://tomas-bradanovic.blogspot.com/

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:13 pm

admin wrote:2. Watch out for the pinera supporters that think he has it in the bag because of yesterday, then dont bother showing up to vote. It is why you never hear canidates declare 'we are going to win' before the votes are counted. People dont bother to vote, if think you already won.

I believe his voters are more organized on average due to being middle-class self-empoyed professionals, business owners, etc.

FA voter base and the campaign overall is a 20-something organizational chaos, they need a proper management before even good alt-left candidates (not the current ones) could have a chance to win.

tombrad2

Postby tombrad2 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm

Most of kids from Nueva Mayoría, those who go to march and protests, are not interested in vote at all, they think that democracy is useless end political system is rooten, this sector has been historically around 8% of voters, and in next elections may be even less, because Communists are voting in the government block

41southchile

Postby 41southchile » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 pm

[quote="admin"]tom, long time.

Yea, Pinera and Sanchez took the primaries last night. the DC chickened out.

It was pretty obvious watching some of the returns that there was some half-hearted attempts by left voters to throw a wrench in the right parties candidates by voting against Pinera. Which I guess, on some level is part of the fun and games to of a primary.

Although, holding possibly three elections, with all the expense and time to try and get one candidate, seems a bit excessive in a country of 17+ million people.[/quotle]
Doesn't surprise me, the whole political system is a joke, especially the municipal or comuna system, every tin pot little hick town has a mayor and all the associated costs and duplication that goes on is a joke. No wonder there are so many screw ups, in a country this small it is stupid to expect a comuna of 20000 people to be able to run things properly. The salaries and representatives per capita is also ridiculous, it's all one big gravy claiming to be democracy.

41southchile

Postby 41southchile » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:44 pm

[quote="admin"]tom, long time.

Yea, Pinera and Sanchez took the primaries last night. the DC chickened out.

It was pretty obvious watching some of the returns that there was some half-hearted attempts by left voters to throw a wrench in the right parties candidates by voting against Pinera. Which I guess, on some level is part of the fun and games to of a primary.

Although, holding possibly three elections, with all the expense and time to try and get one candidate, seems a bit excessive in a country of 17+ million people.[/quotle]

Doesn't surprise me, the whole political system is a joke, especially the municipal or comuna system, every tin pot little hick town has a mayor and all the associated costs and duplication that goes on is a joke. No wonder there are so many screw ups, in a country this small it is stupid to expect a comuna of 20000 people to be able to run things properly.
The salaries and representatives per capita in Central government is also ridiculous, it's all one big gravy train claiming to be democracy.

41southchile

Postby 41southchile » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:50 pm

admin wrote:
tombrad2 wrote:Yea, no surprise but I was surprised anyway. I was afraid on a huge abstention, and I feared on the well known abilities of left to mobilize their people, specially against Piñera, who they envision as the devil incarnated. Many weird things happened yesterday. Where it was the people for "No más AFFP", supposedly they was millions all over the country, same as supporters of "Educación gratis y de calidad para todos", Piñera is on the antipodes. Why so many people wake up early in Sunday and voted mostly for Piñera in a soccer day?

Many things intriguing, and pleasurable surprises to me. Maybe don Diego Portales and his "Peso de la noche" is working, at last.As I see now Piñera was elected for president last nigth, now he has no contenders.

2. Watch out for the pinera supporters that think he has it in the bag because of yesterday, then dont bother showing up to vote. It is why you never hear canidates declare 'we are going to win' before the votes are counted. People dont bother to vote, if think you already won.

Apparently that's how Allende got in against Jorge Allesandri in 1970, look how that turned out.

Julito

Postby Julito » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:14 pm

Aaah, I see... so it's still 1970. Silly me, I must wind back my calender.

Seriously, it's time for change, a younger generation of centrist politicians with a broader world view rather than recycling the tired old post dictatorship left and right,

tombrad2

Postby tombrad2 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:49 pm

Allende Won because there was not ballotage then, his advantage was very tigth.

Bachelet won because many people did not go to vote, It was elected with around 25% of potential voters. This time Piñera will bring much more people to vote, because many people is worried with the current situation in Chile. "Peso de la noche" from Diego Portales is working :D

41southchile

Postby 41southchile » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:40 pm

Julito wrote:Aaah, I see... so it's still 1970. Silly me, I must wind back my calender.

Seriously, it's time for change, a younger generation of centrist politicians with a broader world view rather than recycling the tired old post dictatorship left and right,

Couldn't agree more, maybe take a look at what France has just done, but this is Chile so maybe something like that will happen in another decade or so. Piñera is an ok choice and will do the job but he has so much baggage with him with his shady past, and wouldn't of been my first choice, but it is what it is, anyone to get the current lot out.

41southchile

Postby 41southchile » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:42 pm

tombrad2 wrote:Allende Won because there was not ballotage then, his advantage was very tigth.

Bachelet won because many people did not go to vote, It was elected with around 25% of potential voters. This time Piñera will bring much more people to vote, because many people is worried with the current situation in Chile. "Peso de la noche" from Diego Portales is working :D

I hope you are right, but he is still the same old same old, but I guess people will just be looking to get the current train wreck of a government out rather than his wonderful crudentials. Here's hoping for a better race and contestants in 2021.

tombrad2

Postby tombrad2 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Most of Chileans are very conservative, independent on left or rigth preferences we chileans are extremely conservatives, we appreciate order and stability and scare a lot every time that changes or revolution appears, this is what Diego Portales called "El peso de la noche" as he described in 1832:

"The social order is maintained in Chile by the weight of the night and because we do not have subtle, skillful and ticklish men: the almost general tendency of the mass to rest is the guarantee of public tranquility."

"The weight of the night" refers to the excessive conservadurism all over the Chilean society, it is not a political issue but a deep tendency of most of people across the history of Chile

Julito

Postby Julito » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:37 pm

Aaah.... so now we're back to 1832 conservatism applicable to today. Back to the calender, but last I looked it doesn't wind back nearly 20 generations.

Return to “Living in Chile”