Criminal records required for Citizenship

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

musicguy

Criminal records required for Citizenship

Postby musicguy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:33 pm

As of 24 Jan 2017 for those foreigners asking for citizenship we now have to submit a certificado de antecedentes penales judiciales from our country of origin. I started my process for citizenship around October. I already had my pdi meeting. Now they're asking for, in less than 60 days nonetheless, the aforementioned document. Not sure what to do.

I'm from the US and this document doesn't really exist but the closest thing is a criminal background check from the FBI. The FBI website says this takes from 10-12 weeks. Longer than 60 days. That doesn't count that the document also needs to be apostilled, translated and legalized. Nuts... Not sure what to do.

The letter I received says I can attach a letter if I don't have all the documents asked for. Should I even start the lengthy process even though there's practically no way I can get this done in time?

RocketRichard

Re: Criminal records required for Citizenship

Postby RocketRichard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:48 am

Did you get this notice after you already submitted the paperwork? The reason I ask is that I submitted my papers for citizenship in Feb. and there was no mention of such a requirement by the PDI or anyone else for that matter.

frozen-north

Postby frozen-north » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:59 am

Admin posted about this topic on 'Legal Issues':

Criminal records required for residency, 2017

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14562

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Pretty much same arbitrarary reasons apply for this as fir stopping people from appealing rejected residency.

We are looking in to a claim against the goverment over this, but that is not going to help anyone soon.

Just now they are expanding this out to stall aplications of just about every sort.

Now on practical level, we have found they will accept a state or local police recird. Many local police inthe states have much faster systems than the fbi for obtaining a police report. All are valid. Apostile is sufficient.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Very smart for Chile's immigration bureaucrats to add another filter as to ask for criminal record from resident country and natal place as well. Purge all future " ladrones & estafadores " off the land..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Putenio

Postby Putenio » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:48 pm

admin wrote:Pretty much same arbitrarary reasons apply for this as fir stopping people from appealing rejected residency.

We are looking in to a claim against the goverment over this, but that is not going to help anyone soon.

Thanks for going to bat on this.

We haven't really been in the US for anything more than a quick trip for many years, so in some respects it would make more sense to ask the PDI how we have conducted ourselves here.
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.
Tenio Natural Reserve: http://www.visitsouthernchile.blogspot.com

musicguy

Postby musicguy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:39 pm

RocketRichard wrote:Did you get this notice after you already submitted the paperwork? The reason I ask is that I submitted my papers for citizenship in Feb. and there was no mention of such a requirement by the PDI or anyone else for that matter.

Yes, got the notice after I submitted the paperwork... Scrambling to find the way to do this in time. I'll have to use a channeler.

I went to the US Consulate and they gave me the contact info for two places that take fingerprints:

http://www.colcrim.cl/toma-de-impresiones-dactilares/
http://www.criminalisticasav.cl/contacto.html

Of course, it's rather expensive for what it is...

Return to “Legal Issues”