Quiltro: the authentic chilean dog

General topics related to Living in Chile
pinguin

Quiltro: the authentic chilean dog

Postby pinguin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:37 pm

Quiltro is a word of Mapuche origin that means dog (by the way, today's the common word for dog in Mapudungun is "trewa"). But also means the original race of Chilean dog. The experts have argued what could be that race, but we have some idea how it looks. The Quiltro.
The quiltro is a mixture of the ancient pre-Colombian Chilean dog with European terriers. Curious, isn't?

Condorito, the classical Chilean cartoon, also owns a quiltro: Washington.

The quiltro, or Chilean terrier, is in the process of becomming a recognized race... who would have believed that.

pinguin

Re: Quiltro: the authentic chilean dog

Postby pinguin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:53 pm

History of the Chilean Fox Terrier

To speak of the Fox Chilean Terrier implies to in the last cross the history of our country 300 years. They exist antecedent of its presence in Chile at the time of the Colony, when European immigrants are based in the territory of the South America, bringing with exemplary himself of breed Fox Terrier Smooth (English breed), but also excelent rat hunters . In Chile, these “terriers” European mixed with native dogs give life, to the Fox present Chilean Terrier, tenacious hunter of mice, of small stature, short and clean hair. Of his English ancestors it inherited the anxious , whereas of the local dogs it traced the balance, bravery, loyalty and spirit of guard. Untiring companion, during centuries XVIII and XIX, the breed was developed in the greatest properties of the South center of Chile, becomeing aclimated itself to a rustic life easily, often of “stable”. He is so, as much farmers as large estate owners had occasion to share with this small “great” dog, reason why never during that period of our history he identified himself to him with a determined social chaste class or. By the end of century XIX and the Industrial Revolution many farmers emigrate to the cities, taking with himself their families and their Chilean Terriers. Quickly he manages to adapt to “the urban” life, being used in the new industries and the new slumses (you mention) for the extermination of rats. Due to this last factor, he is that to the Chilean Terrier he identified himself to them during almost all the century last with the proletarian working class of our country, element that played in his against against those who began to take the first steps to establish the activity cinófila in Chile, in their majority immigrants and members of the bourgeoisie of the time, whom were interested more in the internment and development of foreign breeds that in obtaining the recognition of our Chilean Terrier. In spite of the almost null interest that the local professional breeders of the time presented/displayed in him, the Chilean Terrier still more continued being present in the homes of the middle-class of our country, becoming popular, through the comic strip Condorito and his always faithful “Washington”, a Chilean Terrier leaves in evidence “the Chilean” of this small dog. At present the Chilean Terrier is present in all the chilean territory, because he has the virtue to adapt to the great variety of climates of Chile, being still used in countryside like hunter of mice and, in the city, like an excellent dog of company, kind and enduring.
Temperament of the Chilean Fox Terrier

The Chilean Terrier and its relation with the changes of temperature A dog deals itself with an extraordinary capacity of climatic adaptation. It is so the eternally winter cold of the South end of Chile has managed to settle down to barren and desert climates of the north of our country like a. It tolerates the cold well, although it is thankful to be prote'ge' of the humidity and rain, reason why it is advised not to let sleep it to the interperie. He enjoys the heat and he is able to spend long hours to the sun, but a worried owner would not have to let it per so extensive periods of set out time to the sun not to damage his skin and to avoid insolations and dehydrations. The Chilean Terrier and its adaptability to adverse situations Due to his reflected expresses one adapts quickly to situations that could put it in danger, as it is to avoid the aggression of the rodents at the time of hunting them, or, against the attack of some dog of greater stature. The Chilean Terrier in the home It is a dog become attached to the family welcomes who it. They are clean and they do not expelen bad scents. Its relation with children is excellent product of its enduring temperament, alerts and energetic. An ideal compeñero for any age and able to adapt as much to the life in city like in the field. The Chilean Terrier and its tolerance with strangers One is not dogs that attack the strangers, nevertheless do not give his confidence, being distant and so quickly independent at the time of facing people who do not belong to the familiar group. And if anybody does not deserve its confidence will bark energetically in signal of warning to its owners. The Chilean Terrier and its memory It owns an extraordinary memory. It does not forget vejatorios treatments like either to people who have coexisted with him from his earlier age. The Chilean Terrier and its sense of smell It very owns a developed sense of smell that the 24 hours make kind of the day. When finding his " prey" it will not scrimp efforts to obtain his capture. In those cases one will behave obstinate and obstinate against some instruction of his proprietor, due to the concentrate that will be looking for some rodent.

juliannws

Postby juliannws » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:43 pm

Perfect timing! I just made my family watch "Where the Red Fern Grows," (one of my favorite books as a kid - now a 2003 movie starring Dave Matthews, which was odd...but I digress). We're thinking about getting a dog and now I know why my husband may drawn to this type of dog (I'm more of a Newfoundland or Burmese Mountain dog kind of girl). Any idea if:

a) These dogs are good "frisbee" dogs
b) How big they get (typically)

Very cute. Thanks! Jules

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:11 am

juliannws wrote:Perfect timing! I just made my family watch "Where the Red Fern Grows," (one of my favorite books as a kid - now a 2003 movie starring Dave Matthews, which was odd...but I digress). We're thinking about getting a dog and now I know why my husband may drawn to this type of dog (I'm more of a Newfoundland or Burmese Mountain dog kind of girl). Any idea if:

a) These dogs are good "frisbee" dogs
b) How big they get (typically)

Very cute. Thanks! Jules

Yea, I was so mad at how bad that movie was compared to the book. That was a book about learning lessons of life and death, and they turned it in to Disney sterilized brainless movie.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Return to “Living in Chile”