titulo universitario, validating it in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
emilyta

titulo universitario, validating it in Chile

Postby emilyta » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Hello all,

I am looking for someone who has gone through the process of getting their university degree validated here in Chile. I have avoided this process so far, but will need to do it within the next year. Does anyone have any tips, experience with the system, or at least just what I will need to get started (documents, etc) ? I have been trying to sort throught the How to do it sections on the gov´t websites but as with most things here, it sure helps to get advice from someone who has gone before you.

Also, I have a BA in Spanish, which isn´t to Chile friendly to begin with. Any other liberal arts majors out there?

chile-expat

Re: titulo universitario, validating it in Chile

Postby chile-expat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:47 am

emilyta wrote:Also, I have a BA in Spanish, which isn´t to Chile friendly to begin with. Any other liberal arts majors out there?

I think you're referring to a liberal-arts degree's less than enthusiastic acceptance in Chile; which I too have noticed. I attended a liberal-arts university and was awareded two degrees, on in Business and one in Latin American Studies; I certainly stress the Business degree moreso than the Latin American Studies degree, which isn't seen as too impressive, or at least that's what I've perceived.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:09 am

What are you doing that you would need to validate it? Are you performing brain surgery?

I got a couple of degrees in Philosophy, and have never run in to anyone asking me to validate it (in Chile or anywhere else). Hell, I have never run in to any situation where they bothered asking me for my diploma. Who would lie about having a Philosophy degree? :shock: :lol:

Honestly, I never liked working for other people anyway, so that problem has not come up much. When I was finishing up my undergraduate degree I was one or two classes short of my second and third degrees in history (on purpose) and sociology (by an accident of credits). I really could not come up with a good reason to justify paying for one more semester just to paper my wall a bit more. I went to school because I enjoyed it, not because I thought it was somehow going to get me a job somewhere.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

carica

Postby carica » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:10 pm

I had a friend who went through the validation process with the Chilean consulate while she was home visiting her family. She had to get a copy of her degree notarized at the county level (my university did this for me when I requested a legalized version, I just paid a bit more). Then she had it validated/legalized/apostilled by the state government.

After these two steps she took it to her local Chilean Consulate and they authenticated it for a fee. She never mentioned anything about having to have it translated so I don't know if you have to or not.

As far as getting your degree authenticated IN Chile I think you have to go through the first two steps and then find the corresponding government agency in Santiago.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:37 pm

Yea, that is basically just a normal legalization process. Like most documents in Chile, the "validation" process will depend simply on what you are using it for and most importantly on who wants it. If they don't accept it in the end, all the stamps and stickers are not going to mean much. For example, most businesses in Chile I believe would just take a copy of your diploma at face value. Perhaps a government position or for some government office purposes, you would need to jump through the hoops. If you have a professional degree like a doctor or whatever where you might actually kill someone and need a licenses of some sort, then you need to really jump through the hoops for the professional licensing process.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Amazing what search can find:

topic1699.html
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

emilyanne

Postby emilyanne » Mon May 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi everyone,
I would be interested to know if anyone has any experience with validating (as opposed to legalizing/certifying) a university degree. I already legalized my degree, and I have a temporary work visa.

I work for the University of Chile, where I get paid with boletas. I was told that in order to be given a contract I have to get my degree validated, which involves going over every class I ever took, and seeing if it matches up with the curriculum of an equivalent degree here.

The problem (other than the fact that it would be a major hassle) is that I have a BA in anthropology, which of course is NOT the same as the Licenciado en Antropologia that they have here. And the Bachillerato programs in Chile are not the same as bachelor's programs in the US; a Bachillerato is only two years, and that is probably why Chileans don't have much respect for a BA.

So what do you think? Do I have any chance of getting the degree validated, or am I stuck with boletas forever?

yancs

Postby yancs » Mon May 03, 2010 8:44 pm

It sounds like you may have a professional organization to contend with, so this may not apply to you. To get my degrees validated for use in a temporary residence visa for professionals application, I did the following:

1 - Take degree to a notary in country of origin, having them write a letter certifying that it is a valid degree from a recognized university;
2 - Take the degree and notary's letter to the Chilean embassy in country of origin, having them stamp the back of the notary's letter and thereby declaring the lot valid;
3 - Take the degree, notary's letter, and accompanying stamps to the Ministerio del Exterior in Santiago to have them stamp the lot and declare it a valid degree;
4 - Photocopy everything, and take the copies to a Chilean notary so they can certify the copies are legitimate.

In the end, I got the visa. My employer was happy with a straight-forward photocopy of the original degree after I was hired, and the job description did ask for specific academic qualifications. I suspect the "need" to go through the extensive process you describe is employer-specific.

Good luck!

pajaritoblanco

Postby pajaritoblanco » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:22 am

I wonder what would be the most adequate Chilean equivalent of a BA degree. In Spain they call it Grado, and if you have a BA in X, then you are Graduado en X. .

Licenciatura in Mexico is basically a BA degree, but in Chile it is something like a Master's. Having a BA and saying I am Licenciado would be pretentious, but if I say I have a bachillerato universitario, I am not taken seriously enough.

Catt

Postby Catt » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:22 pm

I thought I would need to do all that official stamping and validating of my degrees too....so far, all that's been required when needed is a copy stamped by a local notary office (no translation or anything else required).

Jspen004

Postby Jspen004 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:06 pm

I also have a question about validating my degree... I live in Chile so I want to know if I have to go to the United States with my degree or I can mail my degree to my family and have them do it for me...??? Thanks in advance

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:15 pm

emilyanne wrote:Hi everyone,
I would be interested to know if anyone has any experience with validating (as opposed to legalizing/certifying) a university degree. I already legalized my degree, and I have a temporary work visa.

I work for the University of Chile, where I get paid with boletas. I was told that in order to be given a contract I have to get my degree validated, which involves going over every class I ever took, and seeing if it matches up with the curriculum of an equivalent degree here.

The problem (other than the fact that it would be a major hassle) is that I have a BA in anthropology, which of course is NOT the same as the Licenciado en Antropologia that they have here. And the Bachillerato programs in Chile are not the same as bachelor's programs in the US; a Bachillerato is only two years, and that is probably why Chileans don't have much respect for a BA.

So what do you think? Do I have any chance of getting the degree validated, or am I stuck with boletas forever?

Go to the Anthro Dept and have a conversation with a Professor, maybe an english speaking one that can look at your courses and give you an idea of what is what, I did this many years ago with a grad degree and they ultimately just signed it off, there is a cut and dried process for some occupations and not others, Anthro may be one of the others......
It's all about the wine.

Return to “Living in Chile”