Chilean Driver's License

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

lost gringo

Re: Chilean Driver's License

Postby lost gringo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:57 pm

Link to the English version of the New Driver's Handbook:
http://www.conaset.cl/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/new-drivers-handbook-7-04.pdf

As noted elsewhere in the forum, the written, manual dexterity, and actual driving tests are the relatively easy parts.
Education proof, not so much.
Good Luck.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

ghibli

Postby ghibli » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:40 pm

Awesome! Thank you. Any hints on the Octavo Basico test? And BTW, "South Park" ???? the home of uncle reggie's gay animal refuge? Where the guanaco roam....hahahha ...sorry, I think.

Cheers!

mt208

Postby mt208 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Finally, I got my driver's license in Providencia.
I feel like I accomplished the impossible mission. I got it in two days. One day for written and psychology and medical exams, the psychology exam is very interesting but confusing with my horrible Spanish. The second day for driving exam, you need to know how to drive from the Municipalidad to the test destination without any instructions(I thought I could use GPS but I was wrong, the examiner asked me to drive to the test destination by myself, he will only test me after I know how to get there. Interesting, I told him I only had US drivers license and he said just drive and get familiar with the route, its fine...). On the way back to the Municipalidad, I had to drive under his instructions completely. So the test itself is not that hard, the only hard part is to be able to take the test.

If you want to get your diploma legalized in your home country, it's possible to find an agency online to do that for you(Just google apostille+ your country/state name.). At least for New York, all I had to do was to send the agency a photocopy of my diploma. But of course, its kinda expensive.

dmwbmw2

Postby dmwbmw2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:00 pm

How typically Chilean.

What does knowing how to get there have to do with getting a license?

It's a drivers license, not to be a London cabbie.

wiscondinavian

Postby wiscondinavian » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:26 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:How typically Chilean.

I was quite happy when they didn't make me do that when I took my test (despite technically being required according to the website at the time.) Dunno if they gave me a pass for being gringa or if it's just not always used.

I think the only points I got taken off from the driving test was not putting on my seat belt right away (despite being a habit that I otherwise never forget to do... despite being a fine driver, the test made me nervous, haha)

ghibli

Postby ghibli » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:37 pm

Here's an update on the driving license/Octavo Basico quest. First, a recap: I need the Octavo Basico Certificate in order to apply for the driving license. Obtaining a notarized diploma from my birth country is not possible. I have spent now several weeks on the 8B quest. I went to Providencia Municipality - where I can obtain a driving license, but first they said there is no such thing as an examen for 8B, then I was sent to a very
unpleasant woman who sent me to mineduc.cl. I called those guys and they sent me to a location in el Centro on Fray Camilo Enriques. Don't bother to go there because it's the wrong place. Those people sent me to Nunoa (two buses and the metro or a taxi) The address is Rosita Renard 1191 which is the Departamento Provinciales de Educacion for --- Providencia (!!!) plus Las Condes, Vitacura etc etc. Thank you Providencia. I was really surprised because the arts programs put on by Provi are great. Maybe the education peeps were having a bad day.
So, here's what you can do. Sign up for the Octavo Basico exam between 1 - 31 March. They say you can do this on line but I find the website confusing. I'm going to go in person. And here's the key: When you sign up they give you the curriculum. The actual test is in June so you can study. Once you have this, I think the driver's license part will be easy. I've already memorized the driving book and thanks to Lost Gringo for the link.
It cost me about 10.000CLP in metro, bus and taxis - but good news: the test is free. Cheers

ghibli

Postby ghibli » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Re the driving test, to mt208, can you tell me where the test location was? Are you saying that the examiner gave you an address and told you to drive there? Interesting! Unusual perhaps. Tell me more if poss. What car did you use? Borrowed from a friend? Rented? Can one buy a car in chile without a chilean license? Colour me curious. Thanks.

wiscondinavian

Postby wiscondinavian » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:28 pm

ghibli wrote:Here's an update on the driving license/Octavo Basico quest. First, a recap: I need the Octavo Basico Certificate in order to apply for the driving license. Obtaining a notarized diploma from my birth country is not possible. I have spent now several weeks on the 8B quest. I went to Providencia Municipality - where I can obtain a driving license, but first they said there is no such thing as an examen for 8B, then I was sent to a very
unpleasant woman who sent me to mineduc.cl. I called those guys and they sent me to a location in el Centro on Fray Camilo Enriques. Don't bother to go there because it's the wrong place. Those people sent me to Nunoa (two buses and the metro or a taxi) The address is Rosita Renard 1191 which is the Departamento Provinciales de Educacion for --- Providencia (!!!) plus Las Condes, Vitacura etc etc. Thank you Providencia. I was really surprised because the arts programs put on by Provi are great. Maybe the education peeps were having a bad day.
So, here's what you can do. Sign up for the Octavo Basico exam between 1 - 31 March. They say you can do this on line but I find the website confusing. I'm going to go in person. And here's the key: When you sign up they give you the curriculum. The actual test is in June so you can study. Once you have this, I think the driver's license part will be easy. I've already memorized the driving book and thanks to Lost Gringo for the link.
It cost me about 10.000CLP in metro, bus and taxis - but good news: the test is free. Cheers

Yikes!

For others, here's the distribution of where you should go for the octavo basico test:

https://www.ayudamineduc.cl/oficina-reg ... ficina=664

https://www.chileatiende.gob.cl/fichas/ver/2254

When I went a couple of years ago, they wanted a certificate from the direccion de transito stating the purpose of why I needed the exam, and when I went to the direccion de transito, they told me that they would not emit such a certificate or even a written note. Luckily, I ended up being able to use my university diploma after it was translated.

All in all, the system seems to be a "good" way to keep the poor working class and foreigners from getting a license. It's incredibly frustrating all around.

mt208

Postby mt208 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:57 pm

ghibli wrote:Re the driving test, to mt208, can you tell me where the test location was? Are you saying that the examiner gave you an address and told you to drive there? Interesting! Unusual perhaps. Tell me more if poss. What car did you use? Borrowed from a friend? Rented? Can one buy a car in chile without a chilean license? Colour me curious. Thanks.

The test location is at the Providencia Municipalidad, you can find it on google maps.

The examiner gave me three addresses and asked me to chose one to drive to.(I think the three addresses are on their website. You have to pick one to drive to without any instructions or directions, NO gps, you have to memories the route. But on the way back, the examiner would give you directions on which way to go and so on.)

I bought a car and drove a while before I got the license(I got my car with my Chilean ID with one year temporary residence, the dealer asked for my drivers license for test drive, I simply showed them my New York state license. Two weeks after signing everything and paying for the car, I received the documents from Servicio de Registro.

mt208

Postby mt208 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:How typically Chilean.

Totally agree. But I think this is probably the easiest part of getting a Chilean license. :lol:

Return to “Legal Issues”