Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
Rhodolite

Re: Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Postby Rhodolite » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:30 pm

Overwhelming absence of confidence in the ability of Chilean "maestros" to follow instructions rigorously or perform competently.

lost gringo

Postby lost gringo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:52 pm

I recently installed a 24v solar electric system. I purchased everything from a business named Digishop in Santiago. A Chileno named Tilo is the owner, good guy, knowledgeable about all things solar, excellent service, and he speaks English.

(6) 2ft X 4ft 140w panels, (12) 100 amp hour 12v batteries, 24v inverter, charge controller, panel mounting system, battery monitor, wire, connectors, fuses and complete wiring diagram diagram was $7200 usd including IVA, plus $150 shipping to Puerto Montt.

I installed it myself in one day, but any competent(in Chile?) electrician should be able to follow the diagram to connect everything.
Powers lights, refrigerator, washing machine, television, and sound system without a problem even though here in the south of Chile there are not a lot of sunny days.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

jamie_m

Postby jamie_m » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:37 pm

Unless it's all about your carbon footprint, it sounds like you'll have to watch a lot of tele before you start to get your money back.

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:39 pm

Sharp Develops Concentrator Solar Cell with World's Highest Conversion Efficiency of 44.4%*1

Sets New Record with Concentrator Triple-Junction Compound Solar Cell。  Then going after 60% + conversion efficiency.

We probably see these concentrator solar panels affordably cheap very,very soon.

harp Corporation has achieved the world's highest solar cell conversion efficiency*2 of 44.4%, using a concentrator triple-junction compound solar cell. These solar cells are used in a lens-based concentrator system that focuses sunlight on the cells to generate electricity.

This latest Sharp breakthrough came about through research and development efforts that are part of the "R&D on Innovative Solar Cells" project promoted by Japan's New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO).*3 Measurement of the value—which sets a record for the world's highest concentrating conversion efficiency—was confirmed at the Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems (ISE)*4 in Germany.

Compound solar cells typically offer high conversion efficiency while utilizing photo-absorption layers made from compounds of multiple elements, such as indium and gallium. Sharp's concentrator triple-junction compound solar cells use a proprietary technology that enables the efficient conversion of sunlight into electricity by means of a stack of three photo-absorption layers, the bottommost of which is made from InGaAs (indium gallium arsenide).

To achieve a concentrating conversion efficiency of 44.4%, Sharp worked to widen the effective concentrator cell surface and ensure uniformity of width at the interface of the connecting concentrator cell and electrodes.

Because of their high conversion efficiency, compound solar cells have thus far been used primarily on space satellites. Looking to the future, Sharp aims to harness this latest development success and make the use of compound solar cells more feasible in terrestrial applications.

http://www.sharp-world.com/corporate/news/130614.html
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

lost gringo

Postby lost gringo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Unless it's all about your carbon footprint, it sounds like you'll have to watch a lot of tele before you start to get your money back.

for me it was the option of $7500 for solar, $40,000 to bring in power lines and then a monthly electrical bill, or continue with a noisy, polluting generator. easy choice.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.

jamie_m

Postby jamie_m » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Ahh, yes very easy choice.

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:10 pm

lost gringo wrote:

for me it was the option of $7500 for solar, $40,000 to bring in power lines and then a monthly electrical bill, or continue with a noisy, polluting generator. easy choice.

$40,000 to bring in power lines

Gasp! That amount, is it in US Dollars? $40K for the power lines?

lost gringo

Postby lost gringo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:33 pm

Gasp! That amount, is it in US Dollars? $40K for the power lines?

Yes, that was $40,000 dollars. that's over a distance of 2 kilometers to connect to the main lines. plus it's a remote location.
that was the price 3 years ago, it's probably closer to $50,000 now.

MJSaywell

Postby MJSaywell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:36 am

lost gringo wrote:I recently installed a 24v solar electric system. I purchased everything from a business named Digishop in Santiago. A Chileno named Tilo is the owner, good guy, knowledgeable about all things solar, excellent service, and he speaks English.

(6) 2ft X 4ft 140w panels, (12) 100 amp hour 12v batteries, 24v inverter, charge controller, panel mounting system, battery monitor, wire, connectors, fuses and complete wiring diagram diagram was $7200 usd including IVA, plus $150 shipping to Puerto Montt.

I installed it myself in one day, but any competent(in Chile?) electrician should be able to follow the diagram to connect everything.
Powers lights, refrigerator, washing machine, television, and sound system without a problem even though here in the south of Chile there are not a lot of sunny days.

Thanks for your information, that is very useful, we are talking with a company called grammer, they were the company that installed in the colegio Aleman in Puerto Montt, that have put in a big system this year, and have a net gain of 5 million pesos a month they reckon, through reduced electric bills and what they are recieving from feeding back into the grid. http://grammer-solar.com/es/
We are looking for smaller scale solutions, for tiny homes, typically less than 50 sqaure metres, very well insulated. Those solar costs sound reasonable that you have mentioned, and slso similar prices to what we have heard for connection to the grid, costs increase even more if you want to cross a public road too, 2 million pesos just for the tramites for that. Thanks

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:07 pm

The pre fabbed homes using solar photovoltaic panels can become very useful and valuable in Chile's remote location.
Then there are nickel metal hydride batteries already obtainable in salvage yards for about US$1200 a piece.

Instead of purchasing Teslas for home battery at very expensive price. The Prius salvaged NiMet battery can yield as much as 1.7KW of useful juice obtained by the solar panels, if me importing the already pre-fabbed 85 sq meters home, then will link perhaps a pair of Prius nickel metal hybrid car's discarded battery and have total of 3.4 KW of ready to use electric power at your wish.

Oh and those solar panelled ready homes can be had for less than US$95.000 with full IH kitchen and full bath/shower room...
Run HV/AC full day, and have plenty of heated water at your disposal anytime. Then the el remote campo life can become a affordable luxury for small investment..No need to bringing in power line for US$40k, and be completely off grid worry free.
Then and for no sun visible winter days, then there are small wind power generation already becoming at use in remote islets of rural Japan.

Just a thought...

john

Postby john » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:46 pm

And now this...

Elon Musk leads Tesla effort to build house roofs entirely out of solar panels
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -solarcity
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:06 pm

john wrote:And now this...

Elon Musk leads Tesla effort to build house roofs entirely out of solar panels
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -solarcity

Oh well, I see PG & E going bust, muy pronto!  Shingle sized or much bigger shingles to cover your home's roof.
Bet lots of energy can be harnessed from such vast surface area..Now if those roof shingles and the Tesla home battery
comes down in price for affordability sake, then everything would be all OK..

Return to “Chile Real Estate, Property, and Construction”