HELP!! Best Option to Ship Cell Phone - Shipping to Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
missesgreen

HELP!! Best Option to Ship Cell Phone - Shipping to Chile

Postby missesgreen » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:44 pm

Hello everyone - what a great forum! I have done my best to sift through different posts but I am still not sure what my best option is and hoping to get your feedback. I am a traveler, going through S. America for a few more months. I lost my iphone NYE in Argentina, and the phone's IOS software is really crucial for some apps, and a project that I am working on while traveling. Needless to say, I am hoping to get an economical replacement asap. I have friends with old phones they have offered to send to me. My Chilean adopted family has offered to have the phone mailed to their house in Santiago. I am thinking about rearranging some flights to be in Santiago in exactly one month.. but now I am not sure how to have it shipped? I am looking to have the most secure/reliable/economical option as possible. So... a couple of questions.
1. How should I have the iPhone sent to this home address?
2. How long will this likely take?
3. How does the costs for customs work? I will not be at the address where I am looking to have it sent to for one month but I really don't want my Chilean family to have to pay for anything.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Erica Johnson

scandinavian

Re: HELP!! Best Option to Ship Cell Phone - Shipping to Chile

Postby scandinavian » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:49 pm

I would strongly suggest buying a used iphone in Chile instead.
The shipping cost + possible customs cost might very well end up higher than the cost of buying a new (used) one - not to mention the risk of it disappearing on the way and the hassle with customs. Check mercado libre. You should be able to get a 5 for around 100K.

Return to “Living in Chile”