Package Fowarding companies for USA Online Shopping to Chile. Recommendation

General topics related to Living in Chile
Harry2017

Package Fowarding companies for USA Online Shopping to Chile. Recommendation

Postby Harry2017 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:29 pm

Based on experience, which mail or package forwarding service companies that you recommend in Santiago?
packages 1- 20 pounds from Miami to Santiago by air.
use for some online shopping, or simply ship personal items or electronics to Chile
good price per pound, quickness in service, deal with customs charges if any
thanks
your input will appreciated

frozen-north

Re: Package Fowarding companies for USA Online Shopping to Chile. Recommendation

Postby frozen-north » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:25 am

I remember that there was some info posted by a poster called 'zer0nz', such as the one in this link:

Re: Buying electronics in the states then shipping them to Chile

http://allchile.net/chileforum/viewtopi ... 457#p56941

Harry2017

Re: Package Fowarding companies for USA Online Shopping to Chile. Recommendation

Postby Harry2017 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:05 pm

Thanks frozen.
I don't really want to use FedEx or ups. I would prefer a local Chilean company with a local office in Miami and in Santiago. That will deal with custom and deliver door to door. Or local pickup.

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Harry2017 wrote:Thanks frozen.
I don't really want to use FedEx or ups. I would prefer a local Chilean company with a local office in Miami and in Santiago. That will deal with custom and deliver door to door. Or local pickup.

You don't need a "chilean" company. Last time I sent a hybrid car's battery to Chile, used DHL then Fed Ex, they pretty much know all about the aduanas.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Harry2017

Postby Harry2017 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:54 pm

I think that route ( ups FedEx ) is very expensive. No matter which country. For international shipping. They are good for important documents and so on.

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:42 am

You can try virtualpostmail.com for sending stuff. They typically (but will do it another way) ship with USPS, and don't charge much over what USPS charges. Then you pay customs fees to correos (if there are any), when you pick it up. There's a monthly fee for the mailbox though.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:50 am

If you do get a virtual mailbox somewhere, make sure there aren't any legal complications with having an address wherever it is. It might look like you actually live there.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Harry2017

Postby Harry2017 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:42 am

I understand. the recipent in chile would need to have the account.

i would prefer not to deal with custom directly or with correos either
a door to door company is preferable.

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Harry2017 wrote:I understand. the recipent in chile would need to have the account.

i would prefer not to deal with custom directly or with correos either
a door to door company is preferable.

I'm not in Santiago, so there may be options there that I'm not aware of. But If you don't want to deal with Correos. And Fedex is too expensive. You may be out of luck. Why don't you want to deal with Correos?

I haven't found anything cheaper than USPS Priority International (transferred to Correos in Chile), for "uncomplicated" shipments. Keep in mind that some shipments don't get charged customs fees. So if the company you use charges the fees up-front, that adds to the cost.

Harry2017

Postby Harry2017 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:30 am

I believe USPS uses DHL to ship international not quite sure

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:06 am

Harry2017 wrote:I believe USPS uses DHL to ship international not quite sure

Everything from USPS goes through Correos.

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:19 am

Harry2017 wrote:I believe USPS uses DHL to ship international not quite sure

USPS has Global Express Guaranteed that uses Fedex from the US to Chile. But once it gets to Chile, someone else takes over. Last time I checked, the prices were probably a little cheaper than using Fedex directly. And more expensive than USPS Priority International. I haven't heard of them using DHL, but I haven't checked recently.

I just got a package last week, that I shipped with Fedex (this one was complicated). And I don't remember for sure, the name on the truck that actually delivered it. It might have been Pullman. Then FedexChile sent me an invoice through Chilexpress.

Return to “Living in Chile”