Jan 2, a holiday.

General topics related to Living in Chile
frozen-north

Re: Jan 2, a holiday.

Postby frozen-north » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Well, I see that the project is not just to make the second of January a holiday, but to do so only when it falls on a Monday. The article does not say why the previous project was not made into law in 2012.

Proyecto para que el 2 de enero sea feriado tendrá discusión inmediata y Gobierno espera se apruebe mañana

La Presidenta enviará hoy la iniciativa al Congreso. Desde Chile Vamos instaron a discutir la medida que ya existe y establece que el día sea feriado cada vez que caiga lunes.

En su opinión, contar con un día más libre, permitiría que las familias que se desplazan por el país "puedan retornar hacia sus hogares de manera segura".

....existe otro proyecto aprobado por la Cámara Baja, de 2012, que establece todos los 2 de enero como feriado cada vez que caiga día lunes.

http://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/2 ... anana.html

In Canada:

If a holiday falls on a non-workday then another day will be observed as the holiday - usually the preceding Friday or the following Monday.

http://www.statutoryholidays.com/rules.php

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:14 am

I'm fine with the idea that they rounded up the holiday to include another day. Every so often you have these odd holidays in Chile that like fall on a Thursday, then like Friday is a regular work week that everyone skips anyway to get the long weekend. Great.

My problem is the pointless ambush, with little to no communication, at the last moment of the entire economy. It does not help people going on vacation, because they already booked their dates. It totally messes with the tourism industry, because they were not expecting it. It completely screws up business planning for employers, because they were already expecting a business day. Then you have everyone that was expecting a business day at government offices. All done under some bullshit premise that it helps the tourism industry.

You know what would help every industry and person in the country? Not being ambushed by random bullshit regulations and changes. For example, like what time is it, how much your taxes will be, can you go on strike, what school your kids will go to and how much will it cost, what the constitution will say next week, what the name of the country will be next week. How about communicating if there is a Tsunami coming. The most mysterious one of all, what that frigen yellow jacket is for they made me buy to keep in my car.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

susiedillon

Postby susiedillon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Chile in a nutshell, Admin!

MJSaywell

Postby MJSaywell » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:22 pm

admin wrote:I'm fine with the idea that they rounded up the holiday to include another day. Every so often you have these odd holidays in Chile that like fall on a Thursday, then like Friday is a regular work week that everyone skips anyway to get the long weekend. Great.

My problem is the pointless ambush, with little to no communication, at the last moment of the entire economy. It does not help people going on vacation, because they already booked their dates. It totally messes with the tourism industry, because they were not expecting it. It completely screws up business planning for employers, because they were already expecting a business day. Then you have everyone that was expecting a business day at government offices. All done under some bullshit premise that it helps the tourism industry.

You know what would help every industry and person in the country? Not being ambushed by random bullshit regulations and changes. For example, like what time is it, how much your taxes will be, can you go on strike, what school your kids will go to and how much will it cost, what the constitution will say next week, what the name of the country will be next week. How about communicating if there is a Tsunami coming. The most mysterious one of all, what that frigen yellow jacket is for they made me buy to keep in my car.

Yup, planning or forward thinking seems to be a foreign concept across pretty much all levels of society here. I have come to the conclusion the political class are no different, they just have contacts that's why they are there in those positions ,the fact they are politicians doesn't make them any more suited to the role than probably the average middle manager down at the local bank for example. They make the same mistakes and lack any forward thinking, so yeah, it is what it is I guess.

Irishman

Ignore this message. Apologies for submitting

Postby Irishman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:41 pm

Please ignore this message. I had forgotten about the "New topic" section

frozen-north

Postby frozen-north » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:13 pm

MJSaywell wrote:
Yup, planning or forward thinking seems to be a foreign concept across pretty much all levels of society here.

Not like in Flint, Michigan?

Michigan has been at the center of a public health crisis since last year, when tests found high amounts of lead in blood samples taken from children in Flint, a predominantly black city of about 100,000.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-michi ... SKBN1491XK

MJSaywell

Postby MJSaywell » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:49 am

frozen-north wrote:
MJSaywell wrote:
Yup, planning or forward thinking seems to be a foreign concept across pretty much all levels of society here.

Not like in Flint, Michigan?

Michigan has been at the center of a public health crisis since last year, when tests found high amounts of lead in blood samples taken from children in Flint, a predominantly black city of about 100,000.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-michi ... SKBN1491XK

Don't know anything about Flint, Michigan but there is probably a difference in not planning ahead through incompetence and a deliberate refusal to fix a problem even when you know there is an issue . Or maybe there's not I don't know anything about Flint, Michigan but the fact it says a predominantly black city hints at something more than a lack of forward thinking and more a deliberate case of neglect, just guessing here (Or is that what Reuters wants me to think?)

lost gringo

Postby lost gringo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:52 am

Does anyone know if this coming Monday is going to be a holiday or not?
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

wiscondinavian

Postby wiscondinavian » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:20 am

Yes, Monday 2 is feriado

http://www.feriados.cl/

fraggle092

Postby fraggle092 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:46 am

admin wrote:I'm fine with the idea that they rounded up the holiday to include another day

Some retail workers are already asking for January 2 to be declared a compulsory permanent holiday, a feriado irrenunciable. Here is a semi-official justification for this according to diputado Miguel Ángel Alvarado (my translation)
"In Latin America generally, work hours are long, although worker productivity is low. For this reason we think this option is a valid one, so that after one hangover day (sic), ie Jan 1, workers will have an additional day for rest and family activities."

So because work hours are long and worker performance is low, more time off in needed in order to recover from the obligatory New Year drunken binge. This from a member of parliament, and a medic to boot.
Chile seems to have slipped sideways into a parallel universe. Diputado Alvarado's logic is not mine.
Original statement here.

The September national holidays for 2017 will be interesting...especially in an election year.
Après moi, le déluge

lost gringo

Postby lost gringo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:57 am

wiscondinavian wrote:Yes, Monday 2 is feriado

http://www.feriados.cl/

Thanks
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Return to “Living in Chile”