Good GPS for car

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: Good GPS for car

Postby Britkid » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:12 am

Tom Tom's Chile map was so bad they had to withdraw it from sale, even though they didn't have a new version to replace it with. For those of you are coming to Chile with a Tom Tom then it's time to buy a new GPS.
I blog on life in Chile at http://www.idledreamer.com

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:23 pm

There is a Tom Tom map for Chile now, and one for South America. I called them and asked if the South America one contains the same Chile detail, told yes.

A few years ago they withdrew from sales their Chile map because it was so bad, so I am assuming this is a new one. I asked them that as well and he said yes, but didn't seem to know what he was really talking about to be honest, probably guessing.

Has anyone bought this tomtom map for Chile? Is it any good?

https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/maps ... map/chile/
https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/maps ... an-mexico/

jehturner

Postby jehturner » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:44 pm

Interesting. We have TomTom UK/Europe on an ipad with a car windscreen holder & a 12v charger but hadn't paid for the Chile map so I'm curious whether it works well; it seemed a bit frivolous to pay for a map of a 1-dimensional country when we don't tend to travel that far afield :-).

$70 seems a bit steep for Chile too (I'm sure it used to be less than that), especially if you can get most of Latin America for the same price.

James.

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:49 pm

You can downloads Nоkia's HERE offline maps both on iOS and Android if you have a phone with GPS.

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:09 pm

I know there is waze and plenty of free maps; I assume the free/phone maps can't be put on the Tomtom though. I don't want to be driving along trying to look at a phone while driving or just listening to it.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:59 pm

My vote is for Waze, as all the Chileans use them so things like road work, traffic jams, police speed traps, are super up to date.

I have tested waze from heavy traffic in Santiago, to super remote locations in the south (like no cell signal, but still worked, remote).

The only time it has choked, was when approaching certain intersections that were so poorly designed that they defy the laws of physics. There is one in Puerto montt, that has like 8 roads converge on a round about, with another round about on the outside (insane, you got to see it to believe it). To waze credit, she just goes quiet, and then the intersection when you reach is fairly self-explantory as to why she was at a loss for words.

Also, handy for taxi cab rides. If you don't speak Spanish, plug in your destination, and turn on the spanish voice for the cab driver or show him the map and routes. Also keeps those sleazy santiago taxi drivers honest. Is there really traffic to justify the route he is taking, or is he just driving you around?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

lost gringo

Postby lost gringo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:38 am

admin wrote:My vote is for Waze, as all the Chileans use them so things like road work, traffic jams, police speed traps, are super up to date.

I have tested waze from heavy traffic in Santiago, to super remote locations in the south (like no cell signal, but still worked, remote).

The only time it has choked, was when approaching certain intersections that were so poorly designed that they defy the laws of physics. There is one in Puerto montt, that has like 8 roads converge on a round about, with another round about on the outside (insane, you got to see it to believe it). To waze credit, she just goes quiet, and then the intersection when you reach is fairly self-explantory as to why she was at a loss for words.

i'm familiar with that roundabout in Puerto Montt, you're right you have to see it to believe it.
But I'm curious of your statement that Waze is working for you in remote areas without a cell signal. How successful were you?
Thanks
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:24 pm

lost gringo wrote:
admin wrote:My vote is for Waze, as all the Chileans use them so things like road work, traffic jams, police speed traps, are super up to date.

i'm familiar with that roundabout in Puerto Montt, you're right you have to see it to believe it.
But I'm curious of your statement that Waze is working for you in remote areas without a cell signal. How successful were you?
Thanks

Once uploaded, no need to have signals to direct you with voice guidance. Today's navigation systems are super clever, or technically super advanced.
I for an instance ventured across the frontier crossing to Mexico from San Diego.. There was no satellite signals in some mountainous remote area but the in- car navigation worked flawlessly..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

lost gringo

Postby lost gringo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:48 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
lost gringo wrote:

Thanks

Once uploaded, no need to have signals to direct you with voice guidance. Today's navigation systems are super clever, or technically super advanced.
I for an instance ventured across the frontier crossing to Mexico from San Diego.. There was no satellite signals in some mountainous remote area but the in- car navigation worked flawlessly..

So Waze relies solely on GPS?
How do they get live updates if isn't connected to a cell data signal?
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:45 am

To update the review on the first page, the Autonav 57TVD eventually suffered from a cable that didn't work/charging problems. The first time this happened (within 1 year of purchase) I got Falabella to give me a replacement cable for free, the second time (within second year) I bought a replacement cable cheaply in Casa Royal. However now, the touchscreen mostly doesn't work meaning it can't be used at all, and seems to have developed a slight crack. Could be me not being careful with it, but I don't think it's very robust, which is a shame as its map's pretty good.

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:21 pm

lost gringo wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
lost gringo wrote:

Thanks

So Waze relies solely on GPS?
How do they get live updates if isn't connected to a cell data signal?

The GPS gets updated from predetermined timing. No need to function in update mode all the time. Its GPS information varies from brand to brand and each one has its imperative modus operandi value and function at its best capability ..

Don't know about Waze system or any others but Toyota~Lexus uses its GPS unit from affiliated Denso Corp. It has capability to navigate in spite of momentarily or mild length signal loss ..However, new updated info needs to have GPS wave to refreshen the imminent positioning of desired terrain changes..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

AnciaVagar

Postby AnciaVagar » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:03 pm

Waze can be great if you can afford the data. Unfortunately it crashes on some phones.
OsmAnd works offline and has very good maps of Chile, but it doesn't have as many features for routing. There may be other apps using OSM maps that route better.

Maybe use Waze in the city and to check ahead before a trip, and OsmAnd (or other offline) where coverage is spotty?

Return to “Living in Chile”