Best Cable TV in English

Postby horselover1830 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:34 am

Please take pity and help - I have limited computer access and triplet toddlers so if someone would be kind enough to inform me as to what cable co. offers the most programming in English I'd be grateful. My DH wants to get a package with Telefonica - home phone, internet and cable but when I went to my friend's house who has it there were 2 channels for kids and nothing else except news. I have heard that Direct TV offers a lot of programming for kids in English and that is available where I live but I don't know anyone who has it.
Sorry if this has been covered over and over - Your help appreciated by me!
Lana
horselover1830

Re: Best Cable TV in English

Postby audeo13 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:01 am

Hi, we have DirecTV. By far and away the best service we've gotten from a company in Chile. We have the silver package which gives us something silly like 70+ channels I think. If not more. Anyhow, of those channels I would say about 30 or so (probably more, I didn't hit the sports and nature channels) of them are consistently in english. There seems to be quite a few that are allocated to the 'family friendly' area as well. Boomerang, 2 different Disney Channels, Nickelodeon, etc. There are a couple channels that seem to do half their programming in Spanish and half in English. Like MTV. The only good thing on MTV is South Park, but they only show the english one around midnight. In the early evening it's dubbed to spanish.

I don't know how to the other providers handle it, but DirecTV allows us to just set it to English and anything that is available in English will play in English. If it's only available in English, it shows up with spanish subtitles, if it's available in both languages, you can set it to English or spanish and listen to the original or the one dubbed in Spanish. My boyfriend sets it to spanish sometimes when he's bored and wants to see if he's learned any more of the language yet. He hasn't :roll:

Either way, when I originally checked out the packages offered by Movistar and the like, DirecTV was way better at the time. Movistar's service is so awful it physically pains me to give them any money, but they're also the only ones that offer internet where we are.
Does anyone want a very sweet little puppy, she's vaccinated and fixed...

http://www.refinedhedonist.com
audeo13

Postby Tombi » Fri May 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi, we have DirecTV. By far and away the best service we've gotten from a company in Chile
Us too. During the World Cup Soccer, we also had more English commentary channels than our friends who were with GTD. The DirecTV guys are very professional, we get the same guy and his partner (a woman, I guess this is for safety reasons, so when they go to a house while the owners are out, the nanas won't feel threatened?) every time we call, which is nice. They have also given us their mobile numbers to contact them in emergencies.
Tombi

Postby admin » Fri May 20, 2011 3:10 pm

Big vote for directTV. Most importantly is the box can record the shows, and you fast forward through the commercials. Plus, we just happen to live in an area where there is no other options. You also can get all the international news channels (including fox news, when you want to watch comedy) and all the science and history channels in English. The other providers tend to only give one or two, if that. For example some of them will give you the history channel, but only in Spanish even with your TV set to english.

You can buy prepaid directTV dish, if you do not want to setup a contract. They sell them at sodimac and other stores. Good option for people having trouble getting a contract when they first arrive, or out somewhere with no local direcTV guy.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Tombi » Fri May 20, 2011 7:57 pm

Yes! I forgot to mention the recording facility and pause button.

We have changed our preferred language to English, which means even some of the regular shows (especially kiddie shows for eg.) are broadcast in English, instead of dubbed.
Tombi

Return to Living in Chile