Re: Start-Up Chile

Postby admin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:38 pm

Found it interesting today on bloomberg how a guy in charge of a VC group in New York talked about how NY was becoming the place to start-up small tech companies rather than CA. Sorry, Chile. You really really do not have the infrastructure to play ball in that club and likely never will. That is exactly the problem, everyone has a start-up program. Most are way ahead of Chile.

Let me do some back of the napkin calculations:
40,000 x 22 = 880,000 dollars spent on startups.
9 of the 22 are still here (sounds like some are here because they can not go anywhere else)
let's be generious and say that goverment resouces and money spent to give that money away, was like another 1 million dollars (knowing Chile, it was likely way more).
134 some jobs created or about $14,029 dollars spent per job.

Now the question is, how many of those were rather ho hum, bottom of the economic ladder sorts of jobs with no real skills acquired vs. real get your hands dirty programming or other IT jobs?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby zer0nz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:43 pm

admin wrote:Found it interesting today on bloomberg how a guy in charge of a VC group in New York talked about how NY was becoming the place to start-up small tech companies rather than CA. Sorry, Chile. You really really do not have the infrastructure to play ball in that club and likely never will. That is exactly the problem, everyone has a start-up program. Most are way ahead of Chile.

Let me do some back of the napkin calculations:
9 of the 22 are still here (sounds like some are here because they can not go anywhere else)
let's be generious and say that goverment resouces and money spent to give that money away, was like another 1 million dollars (knowing Chile, it was likely way more).

Now the question is, how many of those were rather ho hum, bottom of the economic ladder sorts of jobs with no real skills acquired vs. real get your hands dirty programming or other IT jobs?

Why leave chile... sounds like they get free office space? even after there 6 months... cheap rent $300 per month a room to live... where can you get that in the USA?..... i argee they stay because its free, not because its good.....

It is a great place to live in santiago as a expat you feel special, you feel different... some of them will be staying because they feel they are king here....

i feel some of the start ups are bottem of the barrel... who knows....

anyway, seems like the chilean goverment is better at building flash offices than a good place to make startup.....

Why reinvet the wheel, chile needss to invest in chile!!!!!!!!!!! not in gringos, should get the news paper to do a thing on this!
zer0nz

Postby john » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:46 pm

FrankPintor wrote:Article about Start-Up Chile: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15887000

Thanks for sharing! Interesting article!
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell
john

Postby FrankPintor » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:32 am

john wrote:
FrankPintor wrote:Article about Start-Up Chile: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15887000

Thanks for sharing! Interesting article!

Yes, I thought it was. Wasn't just the usual gushing blurb. The author seems to be based in Chile, I don't remember having read anything before by her, not sure what her perspective might be.

admin wrote:Let me do some back of the napkin calculations:

Your figures are probably in the ballpark. I don't have an exact comparison to hand, but I think in an international comparison they would probably be on the cheap side. Certainly the IDA in Ireland at times spent comparable sums per job, if not more, when they went out to attract investment. The SDA and WDA (?) won't be much different. And a 40% survival rate for a start-up incubator is not bad at all, even if you consider some of the people involved stick around because they can't get into the US. The US seems to be making things so difficult for foreign entrepreneurs that a ship moored outside territorial waters off California to house these entrepreneurs is considered a viable business concept these days :shock: The "why" doesn't matter, the fact of these people staying in Chile does.

To address the "bottom of the ladder" issue, that's where one usually starts. Ireland had no venture capitalists either in the 1970s. Its only assets were a big open market in Europe and a steady supply of graduates (not to be exaggerated either, the university system in the 70s and 80s in Ireland was not famous for reacting to the needs of industry, it took a radical reform to make it better... including subsidies and eventually free tuition :idea: ). Assembly plants were the start, probably not an option for Chile, they came and went, but it was the small supplier companies that generated the real job growth.

That NY and the East Coast of the US are good places to start hi-tech businesses is hardly news, just read "The Soul of a New Machine" to get a feel for how it was when Cupertino was a good place to grow oranges. But I don't see how it's relevant.

The way South America is evolving, Chile may find itself in a similar situation to Ireland and Scotland, I would say the long-term Chilean government thinkers are strategically right on here. Brazil is a huge market and becoming richer, and Chile is one of the few countries in South America at a similar level of economic development, as the takeover of TAM by LAN would suggest. Also, the major advantage Chile has, copper, is going away, the world doesn't need as much any more, and it will probably become more profitable to steal the stuff from existing infrastructure than dig it out of the ground in Chile. Chile will need to be a network of small companies collectively providing employment.

Tactically, though.... why are Start-Up Chile listening to gurus from Stanford? They should be talking to the people who have attracted industrial investment before, retired executives from the IDA and SDA for example. Now that would give the effort a much sharper focus.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!
FrankPintor

Postby john » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:02 am

Silicon valley vs. Silicon alley:

New York vs. San Francisco in fight for tech start-ups

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16153167
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell
john

Postby rachelmarama » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:30 pm

In English: (ok, i didn't compare word for word, but think it's the same article)
http://thenextweb.com/la/2011/12/26/why ... -6-months/

Start-up Chile's response:
http://thenextweb.com/la/2011/12/27/sta ... departure/

and another mention:
http://www.sarahlacy.com/sarahlacy/2011 ... oney-.html
rachelmarama

Postby admin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:29 pm

I think I predicted this outcome at avery early Point for start-up chile. Namely an exodus of tech savy people slamming chile on the way out. Get ready for the flood.

You see if some biz makes it, then it was the great idea and biz savy of the founders. For everone else chile is the obvious reason they failed.

The gov just bought millions of dollars in bad pr for chile, that real investors will be looking at on the internet long after start-up chile is cancelled in the budget.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Mateo77 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Thought I would just bump this up, startup Chile what is happening there? Also if anyone wants to design some farming software or apps in Spanish that would be great. In particulat Dairy Farming apps I got some good ideas I would happyly give for free, well I think they are good ideas and I am involved in the dairy industry in Southern Chile, just got other things to do myself and not interested in startup chile.
Mateo77

Postby admin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Save them for someone that has the funding and experience to make them work.

Pinera just did an interview on CNN with richard Quest where he defended startup Chile. He still seems to think that it will get Chileans what the IT and biz culture they need.

admin
Site Admin

Postby zer0nz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Mateo77 wrote:Thought I would just bump this up, startup Chile what is happening there? Also if anyone wants to design some farming software or apps in Spanish that would be great. In particulat Dairy Farming apps I got some good ideas I would happyly give for free, well I think they are good ideas and I am involved in the dairy industry in Southern Chile, just got other things to do myself and not interested in startup chile.

all the NZ ones are available here....... why becaue the good big farms that can afford the software are owned by nzders jaja
zer0nz

Postby KJS » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:49 am

Here's an interesting article about trying to open a peer-to-peer lending house. Apparently this thing is the SUP Chile founder's idea. I wonder if he had any preliminary legal analysis done to see if this could actually pass muster?

http://www.economist.com/node/21564610?fsrc=rss%7Cbus
KJS

Postby zer0nz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Berlin startup scene gets nod from Google
FRANK JORDANS 2:15am Berlin's budding Internet entrepreneurs received the closest thing to an industry endorsement Tuesday, with a (EURO)1 million ($1.3 million) investment from Google Inc. for a new `hub' where startups can work, play and meet investors.

mmm,
zer0nz

Previous

Return to Jobs in Chile and Work Related Issues in Chile