Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Homeschooling in Chile??

Postby Mariposa Azul » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:56 am

Hola!
We are considering moving to Chile! Our family is in the process of learning Spanish. I know some, as I grew up with it, but definitely need more!! We wish to continue homeschooling our children there and have researched that homeschooling is legal, but have learned that there are little to no homeschool groups around. Where do other homeschoolers in Chile go for support? Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated! Does anyone on this forum homeschool? Or know of any organizations or homeschool groups I can contact?
Thanks,
Mariposa Azul
Mariposa Azul

Postby RWS » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:55 am

One or two others have asked the same question, MA. You may wish to search the forum for information. (Had I children, I'd certainly want to teach them myself; but, alas, I remain unmarried.)
RWS

Re: Homeschooling in Chile??

Postby Juanito » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:47 pm

My siblings and I were homeschooled in Chile. We had contact with another family and their 6 kids, who after more than 10 years, we still remain good friends, although both families are back in the US (with the exception of myself).

Seems like the easiest source of support would be from the internet. I don't know of any homeschooling groups in Chile, although there might be at this time.
Juanito

Postby Yoaprendo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:38 pm

Education at home in Chile is a fact. The undersecretary of education in an interview in El Mercurio, indicates that the interest is that children are educated and that is why there are test validation. The platform offers an alternative educational <LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN> to develop this form of educating people

ADMIN NOTE: This member must reach the 10 post requirement to link
Yoaprendo

Postby Yoaprendo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:47 pm

Pueden obtener información en mi correo <EMAIL REMOVED BY ADMIN>

saludos

Fernando

ADMIN NOTE: NO EMAILS ALLOWED IN PUBLIC POSTS ON THE FORUM
Yoaprendo

Postby j. Ro » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:49 pm

I don't want to say anything bad about your decision on how to raise your children. So don't hate on me to much, but in my opinion home schooling is over rated.

Especially when you are moving to a new country and the kids most likely know very little about the culture. They will be, for lack of a better word, social out casts. They won't know anyone except their parents, and the people that they introduce them to. No opportunity to network or make friends of their own.

Do I think school systems around the world brain wash kids into believing what ever the government wants them to? Yes, I do very much so. But that is where the parents come in to teach the kids to think for themselves and form their own opinion. Plus unless you are a math, language, history and science teacher all rolled into one, the kids won't have access to the same resources that they would going to an actual school.

Granted there are some cases where it might be required. Such as you are living in Antarctica, or some other place that does not have adequate education facilities. But short of that you are depriving the kids of the social interaction that part of growing up.

Maybe I just hijacked the thread a bit but like I said before home schooling would not by my choice.

Jason Roesler
Jason Roesler, AT
j. Ro

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Actually not hijacking as the previous poster definitely broke the linking policy as laid out by admin.
Just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.
--eeuunikkeiexpat
eeuunikkeiexpat

Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby mlightheart » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:15 pm

j.Ro, It is nice to have an opinion and it is okay if you don't like homeschooling, but I don't think you added anything to the thread for the people who are interested in it. Even in some public schools, the students don't have access to many resources either. :)
mlightheart

Postby MarkF » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:33 pm

mlightheart wrote:j I don't think you added anything to the thread for the people who are interested in it.

I thought he added something. I think it's a valid concern that home-schooled children are sheltered from valuable experiences growing up. Especially if they're in a foreign country.

Mark
There are 10 different kinds of people in the world. There are those who understand binary, and those who don't.
MarkF

Postby mlightheart » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:50 pm

Like I said, I didn't think he added anything for the people interested in homeschooling. I am sure that they have heard that argument before. As for valuable experiences in a foreign country, I suppose if they went to a school that was comprised of children that were from the country they were living in, instead of school that were mainly for exats speaking the same language.
mlightheart

Postby admin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:41 pm

I think ideal would be a bit of both if you where moving to Chile with kids. If your intent is to for example some day have your kids enter a U.S. or European University, you are going to need to do more than what most of the schools in Chile (even a lot of the good private ones) do out of the box. On the other hand, it seems a shame to rob kids of the opportunity to learn about the new culture, language, and country they are living in. The point of education, or at least should be, is to teach kids about a world they only have limited access to. Traveling the World with your kids is the best education money can buy. First hand learning, beats third hand books whenever possible.

Your kids are going to need a broader eduction than what Chile or any other country is offering if they are going to even be in the game these days.

Personally, I think sending a kid to a U.S. public high school knowing what we all know goes on there (and does not go on there) is child abuse on many levels and criminally negligent on the part of parents that have the opportunity to do something about it and don't.

Did I just hijack the thread?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby MarkF » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:23 pm

admin wrote:Personally, I think sending a kid to a U.S. public high school knowing what we all know goes on there (and does not go on there) is child abuse on many levels and criminally negligent <b>on the part of parents that have the opportunity to do something about it</b> and don't.

Maybe the shame is that so few don't have the opportunity. Or, that a child's future opportunity is so closely tied to her parent's opportunity.

Back to home-schooling. I can't imagine entering adulthood without experiencing school with others. Dealing with the bully. The first girl to have a crush. Learning to make friends. Knocked down a peg when I was too full of myself. Paddled by the vice principle.

I don't see how home-schooling can recreate those broader "lessons in life." It seems like it would be entering the Marines without Candidate school.

Mark
There are 10 different kinds of people in the world. There are those who understand binary, and those who don't.
MarkF

Next

Return to New Users Start Here: FORUM NEWS