Re: Camping in Valle del Elqui/La Serena/Vicuña

Postby fraggle092 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:34 am

Found another page with more information on camping in the Elqui valley, last updated two years ago.

http://elqui.espacioblog.com/post/2011/ ... -del-elqui

This is probably the nicest time of year to visit. I avoid going in the summer months, the Elqui valley area is really too small to absorb the number of visitors it gets.
Luchando por el derecho a un almuerzo gratuito de calidad y sin fines de lucro
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the bitterness of the high price you paid for it is forgotten.
fraggle092

Postby wiscondinavian » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:02 pm

So in the classic game of telephone the story got scrambled up.

Apparantly Rancho Rodriguez was open, but my friends wandered around by the entrance for about 30 minutes and there was no one there.... no one to help them check in...

We ended up at Refugio el Angel and I was quite pleased. There's a small stream running through the property and we stayed in the back left corner where there's a small "waterfall" (it's like a 2 foot drop) blocking out all sound of the other campsites in the area.

And due to the season, there was hardly anyone there.

Clean bathrooms, hot showers, OK price($5,000 per person), nice even spots for tents, and nice big sinks to wash dishes in. It's close to the plaza, so it's not a very far walk if you're getting dropped off by bus. There's even a nice little kiosko for everything from firewood, some bottles of wine, and dish soap. I saw quite a few cars parked on the other side of the river, so it's definitely vehicle accessible!

The spot we were at had a buried barrel to build fires in... but it had no holes in the bottom... so the fire died out due to lack of oxygen... but luckily someone else built a ring of large rocks next to it, so we just used that to have our bonfire.

100% recommended to visit Pisco Elqui around this time of year if you want a nice place to relax. :) (some of the other women complained about the cold, but I don't think they're used to camping...)
wiscondinavian

Postby fraggle092 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks for taking the time to post the useful feedback.....
Luchando por el derecho a un almuerzo gratuito de calidad y sin fines de lucro
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the bitterness of the high price you paid for it is forgotten.
fraggle092

Postby Groschi » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:39 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
zer0nz wrote:also "Rancho Rodríguez" apparently is open and allows camping....

...el rancho es un peladero, es para ir a carretiar y punto, en pisco elqui el que es muy bonito es el refugio del angel y cuesta lo mismo que el rancho.
http://www.conducechile.cl/sitio/foro/e ... iv-region/

Maybe its quieter in Low Season but Rancho Rodríguez is notorious in summertime, the council have shut it down in the past.

There is a nice one in Las Rojas; its where the locals go...

yes, Rancho Rodríguez is terrible in Jan and Feb. with DJ until 6 in the morning.
Refugio el Angel is nice, down by the river. Horibble owner though.
Groschi

Postby HybridAmbassador » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:52 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:
zer0nz wrote:95% of camping in chile is not family friendly...... just googling and see what you find, most places here are so informal might not even be open certain times of year, you just drive till you find one and go in!, prices vary....

Public transport, yo.... :o

Public transport, yo....
Winsconsin-san, but you still have the stick shift Renault car right? Or is it successfully sold at last! Don't tell me your BF wrecked it !

Here are a few pics gathered via google and shows camping tents spread out in valle Elqui..

http://www.google.com/search?q=where+Pi ... 98&bih=607
HybridAmbassador.
AKA in the States as, Rickey-San!
HybridAmbassador

Location: San Francisco Bay Area, Circa NAPA Wine Region ,Northern CA

Postby HybridAmbassador » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:08 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:So in the classic game of telephone the story got scrambled up.

Apparantly Rancho Rodriguez was open, but my friends wandered around by the entrance for about 30 minutes and there was no one there.... no one to help them check in...

We ended up at Refugio el Angel and I was quite pleased. There's a small stream running through the property and we stayed in the back left corner where there's a small "waterfall" (it's like a 2 foot drop) blocking out all sound of the other campsites in the area.

And due to the season, there was hardly anyone there.

Clean bathrooms, hot showers, OK price($5,000 per person), nice even spots for tents, and nice big sinks to wash dishes in. It's close to the plaza, so it's not a very far walk if you're getting dropped off by bus. There's even a nice little kiosko for everything from firewood, some bottles of wine, and dish soap. I saw quite a few cars parked on the other side of the river, so it's definitely vehicle accessible!

The spot we were at had a buried barrel to build fires in... but it had no holes in the bottom... so the fire died out due to lack of oxygen... but luckily someone else built a ring of large rocks next to it, so we just used that to have our bonfire.

100% recommended to visit Pisco Elqui around this time of year if you want a nice place to relax. :) (some of the other women complained about the cold, but I don't think they're used to camping...)

(some of the other women complained about the cold, but I don't think they're used to camping...)
Were those women city girls from Santiasco and chilenas to boot or were they gringos? You know even here in the states, i have been in a few camp grounds and seen most city dweller campers shivering at night 'cause they did not bring warmer clothings ! When I go camping i bring my own power saw and go after downed trees and cut them up in quantity for a real gigantic
Bon Fire all night, and in the morning afte,r the fire is still smouldering and it makes really easy to get it going again for morning egg & sausage breakfast, then later onto tri-tip meat bar-b-que for lunch!
HybridAmbassador.
AKA in the States as, Rickey-San!
HybridAmbassador

Location: San Francisco Bay Area, Circa NAPA Wine Region ,Northern CA

Previous

Return to Travel in Chile