Antofagasta living

General topics related to Living in Chile
e-bum

Antofagasta living

Post by e-bum » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Hello fellow expats...

I have searched the forum a bit but wanted to get more specific information on the living situation in Antofagasta. I am considering moving to Antofagasta for a 1-year contract position as an engineer (I am 25, with ~2 years experience) in a water desalinization plant (important... it's not a mining company). The company is offering around ~$2300 per month net pay + some benefits (insurance, airfare). I am aware that Antofagasta is very expensive. I am also aware of what many people here in the south think of the north and the barren wasteland that it is (I have been in Chili ~2 months, and seen a lot of the beautiful south and Argentian Patagonia).

I am wondering what I can expect to pay per month for a 1 bedroom furnished apartment in a nice-ish area of the city. I say 1 bedroom because I enjoy living alone, but I'd also like to know what a 2 or 3 bedroom nice furnished apartment in a similar area would run me.

Any other input on this offer would be welcome.

Thank you very much.

zaebis

Re: Antofagasta living

Post by zaebis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 pm

You will be in poverty with this budget.

Appt for one in AF in a crime bloated hood = $1200+
Nice appt in secure area $1500+
House in a nice area $3000+

that is just rent. Plus expenses ... etc.

Avoid Antof and Calama unless you are in mining making 10K + per month in wages.
Arica siempre Arica...

e-bum

Post by e-bum » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:41 pm

This is good to know. Didn't realize the pay was that low compared to the cost of living.

zaebis

Post by zaebis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:25 am

e-bum wrote:This is good to know. Didn't realize the pay was that low compared to the cost of living.
it is a strange thing. The city is never designed to host any extra ppl and locals live in families with houses already paid off. So any exaugenous person gets it in the groin with prices. Miners drive the price for everythign else up as well.
Arica siempre Arica...

atacama78

Post by atacama78 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:58 am

Sorry to disagree. While Antofagasta is more expensive than other parts of Chile, it is not prohibitive. You can rent a nice security-guarded condo in Jardin del Pacífico (near the Estadio) [Diaz Gana y Angamos] a block from the ocean for about $1500 - $1800 / mo. This includes six swimming pools and shaded parking. You will not need to spend $8500/ mo. on expenses. Truly, you do not really need a car if you plan to stay in Antof. Auto theft is a big problem, as many are driven to Bolivia and parted out. Do not buy a 4 x 4 for they are especially targeted. Public transportation is excellent both in the city and to other parts of Chile. From Jardin del Pacífico you can walk to the park, to the beach, to the grocery store and even to McDonalds. Antofagastinos have really cleaned up their industrial image in the last few years, especially along the coast. Getting rid of the milicos and the regimientos has freed up prime real estate along the coast. There are lots of Colombians and Bolivians who have immigrated and manage to live cheaply in the city. Labor is cheap if you need it.

The desalinization plant is on the north side of the city where there are lots of industries [near La Chimba]. However, you can live in the center of town and be about 30 minutes from work (in colectivo). There has been lots of building in Jardines del Sur (further away from the plant) in the last 10 - 15 years. There are affordable nice houses with pools for rent often as miners leave. You could make it to work in 45 minutes easily.

Yes, there are professionals with the mine who live in Antof. However, there are also many who leave and fly to other parts of Chile during their time off. Those who work at the mine, work straight shifts and then have extended days off to go home. Many do not like the desert beauty. Frankly, Antof. actually benefits only marginally from the miners' income, because they tend to spend it in other parts of Chile. There are flights out of Antofagasta and Calama almost every half hour to Santiago and La Serena. So, don't be scared off. The weather and the beaches are great (especially Juan Lopez). There is a lot of sun, with ocean breezes in the afternoon and temps in the 70s. I would check it out before you commit to a contract.

Mateo77

Post by Mateo77 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:20 am

My brother in law moved up there last year in about July, took him till about September to find a suitable house, he pays 550000 (1200US) per month for a three bedroom house which is says is average in an average barrio. I find it hard on US$2500 a month in the south and what I have heard Antof is a lot more expensive than other cities in Chile, so I would be asking at least US$1000 more a month for your contract up there.

rachelmarama

Post by rachelmarama » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 am

USD is confusing me a little, but in pesos you can expect to pay $300.000 a month and upwards, depending on where you decide to live & if you need a carpark (rent only). In an apartment you'll have gastos comunes, plus gas, water, electricity etc. A furnished, relatively new 2 bedroom apartment in a pretty good central part of town (south central) is going fro around $550.000 - $650.000 at the moment.

I am actually in the process of putting together a website about Antofagasta. I'm sure to open myself up to a huge amount of criticism here, but, here goes anyway: http://www.antofagastainenglish.cl/accomodation.html

Do check out Antofagasta before you make any decisions, although at the end of the day, one year is not long.

Mateo77

Post by Mateo77 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 am

rachelmarama wrote:USD is confusing me a little, but in pesos you can expect to pay $300.000 a month and upwards, depending on where you decide to live & if you need a carpark (rent only). In an apartment you'll have gastos comunes, plus gas, water, electricity etc. A furnished, relatively new 2 bedroom apartment in a pretty good central part of town (south central) is going fro around $550.000 - $650.000 at the moment.

I am actually in the process of putting together a website about Antofagasta. I'm sure to open myself up to a huge amount of criticism here, but, here goes anyway: http://www.antofagastainenglish.cl/accomodation.html

Do check out Antofagasta before you make any decisions, although at the end of the day, one year is not long.
Awesome website well done

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:19 pm

Mateo77 wrote:
rachelmarama wrote:USD is confusing me a little, but in pesos you can expect to pay $300.000 a month and upwards, depending on where you decide to live & if you need a carpark (rent only). In an apartment you'll have gastos comunes, plus gas, water, electricity etc. A furnished, relatively new 2 bedroom apartment in a pretty good central part of town (south central) is going fro around $550.000 - $650.000 at the moment.

Awesome website well done
Excellent work!

e-bum

Post by e-bum » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 pm

Could someone tell me about how much one would pay for food and utilities per month in Antofagasta? Are these things also quite a bit more expensive than in other areas of Chile?

rachelmarama

Post by rachelmarama » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:28 pm

It really depends on what you eat (food) and where you live (utilities).....
Costs for a 3 bed apartment, 1 adult, 3 kids:
Water approx $16.000
Gas Approx $12.000
Electricity approx $6.000
Gastos comunes $42.000

I am in a three bedroom house with a garden, blow up pool & a baby and right now we spend $35.000 a month on water. It's more expensive in summer.

I have not lived in other parts of Chile, but everyone tells me that fruit and veges are soooo much more expensive here, so maybe 1.3 times what you might pay in Santiago, as a guide?

atacama78

Post by atacama78 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:25 am

We try to buy regional fruits and vegetables to cut down on the cost. Some green houses grow local veggies and some are imported regionally like from Pica and Iquique. The basics like lettuce, tomatoes, onions,grapes are not too pricey. Even olives and bananas aren't too expensive. Membrillo and Chirimoya (sorry, I'm not sure what the names are in English) are deliciously cheap when in season. Of course, the old standards of zapallo (squash) and choclo (maize) makes delicious soups. When you start to get more "exotic fruits" that are not grown in the desert, like apples and pears, then the price skyrockets depending on the time of the year. Also, we try to buy at the feria rather than at the supermarket. We go to the same vendors every Saturday (when we are in Antof) who will cut us a bit of a deal. There is a large feria on Presidente Salvador Allende (street). There used to be one near the puerto years ago, but that has "dried up."