Chile Motorcycle Helmet Law?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

todofixthis

Chile Motorcycle Helmet Law?

Post by todofixthis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:04 pm

Does Chilean law require motorcycle riders to wear a helmet? What about passengers?

(please focus on the "is", not the "ought"; thanks!)

Donnybrook

Re: Chile Motorcycle Helmet Law?

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Yes to both. A few months ago I saw a rather plump lady riding as a passenger on a motorcycle in Providencia. On her head was the round plastic lid of a trash bin with a swing top. A double award for originality and stupidity.

todofixthis

Post by todofixthis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Awesome. Thanks!

zaebis

Post by zaebis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Are there special rules for small motor sized motos? Like under 50cc motor you can do things you cant with 1000cc bike etc. Also I see a few electric bikes running alongside the traffic. Never see any plate or any IDs on them though. Does permiso de circulacion not apply to them?

And another thing. I never see 3 wheeled (cargo) motos in CHile and yet plenty of those in Peru (or any other SA country for that matter). Are those not legal in CHile??
Arica siempre Arica...

zaebis

Post by zaebis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:36 pm

ratbert wrote:
El artículo 12, Ley del Tránsito: .....
Understood thanks. I was also wondering about legality of 2 stroke add on motors for bicycles. They are being sold new but are they technically legal being 2 stroke?
Arica siempre Arica...

john

Post by john » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:39 pm

ratbert wrote:
zaebis wrote:
ratbert wrote:
El artículo 12, Ley del Tránsito: .....
Understood thanks. I was also wondering about legality of 2 stroke add on motors for bicycles. They are being sold new but are they technically legal being 2 stroke?
It is my understanding that under the prevailing regulations, vehicles with motors of less than 50cc displacement, when fitted to a bicycle or similar vehicle, are not considered motor vehicles under the purview of the revisión técnica and registration for permiso de circulación statutes and so apparently don't require emissions certification. If that exemption is still in effect (and changes have indeed been considered) , then there does not appear to be a restriction related to the use of those filthy, noisy 2-stroke abominations. Ojo, though this opinion is well-intentioned it is nothing more than a speculative understanding and comes from someone considered más inútil que el ángel de la guarda de los Kennedy.
I hear Romney is looking for a 'Guardian Angel'.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Wedding Photographer

Post by Wedding Photographer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:39 pm

do the helmets have to be to any specific standard or any helmet will do? i often wear a world war II german helmet on my rides but cant find any data as to whats legal and whats not, ive seen people in santiagio riding 125cc scooters with bicycle helmets on. anyone in here ride a cruiser or chopper and up for some road time?
Destination Wedding Photography
http://www.GardnerHamilton.com

Chile Weddings
http;//www.Gardner.cl

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:50 pm

Wedding Photographer wrote:do the helmets have to be to any specific standard or any helmet will do? i often wear a world war II german helmet on my rides but cant find any data as to whats legal and whats not, ive seen people in santiagio riding 125cc scooters with bicycle helmets on. anyone in here ride a cruiser or chopper and up for some road time?
They say there are two types of people who ride a motorcycle: those who have had an accident and those who haven't yet. I have come off a motorbike and felt my helmeted head bouncing off the road. I had the best helmet money could buy and, although my legs and hands were scratched up, no head injury. Do yourself a favour and buy a really good motorcycle helmet.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:59 pm

i saw a bloke a few weeks ago ride past our house wearing jeans, no shirt, no shoes and a saucepan on his head. don't know what the saucepan was protecting, clearly not a brain.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:27 pm

As Donnybrook said, think if you want to avoid a ticket, or to protect yourself in case of accident.

I had a look trying to find a reference to something related to the First-World-War German style helmets. I remember reading that the flared edges increased the chances of a neck injury. I could not find it, but I found that neck injuries seem to be seriously considered now:

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/the-n ... -wear-one/

And this page reminded me that it is not only the head and the neck, but also the face:

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/1026.htm

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:44 pm

jamie_m wrote:i saw a bloke a few weeks ago ride past our house wearing jeans, no shirt, no shoes and a saucepan on his head. don't know what the saucepan was protecting, clearly not a brain.
My favourite was the lady riding on the back of a bike as a passenger who had the swing top of a rubbish bin perched on the top of her head. As local riders say: Vistate para caer, no para taquillar.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:36 pm

Helmet laws are unnecessary; only an idiot would ride without a helmet. I've got a few dead friends who thought otherwise...