BILTONG in Chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
khomotso

BILTONG in Chile

Post by khomotso » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Does anyone on the forum know, if and where I could possibly find Biltong (also refered to as Beef jerky by some)?

El pescado

Re: BILTONG in Chile

Post by El pescado » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Try to look for Charqui! I`m sure they sell it at the supers. But I think it will be horse instead of beef.

El pescado

Post by El pescado » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Just got back from Lider and they sell both horse jerky & beef jerky in tubes similar to Pringles cans. Horse jerky Comes in a couple differnet flavors but the beef was just...well... beef flavor.

3700 for a can of horse & 4700 for the beef.

They had another brand there that was marketed towards kids with a can consisting of individuallt wrapped sticks.

A little pricey for my taste. I`d say for that price you could get a pretty good hunk'O'meat and do your own.

dywp

Post by dywp » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:08 am

Maak dit maar self. There use to be a guy from sa who sold it and also boere worse. But he hasnt been getting back to mails sent to him. Laat weet as jy iets raak loop

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:41 am

dywp wrote:Maak dit maar self. There use to be a guy from sa who sold it and also boere worse. But he hasnt been getting back to mails sent to him. Laat weet as jy iets raak loop
o_O

Afrikaans?

sweetbiscuit
Location: Brisbane...Santiago.... Vancouver....Brisbane (Australia)

Post by sweetbiscuit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:50 am

make it yourself. My hubby was bored and decided to experiment and we ended up with some seriously good jerky. Buy the leanest, cheapest meat you can get, semi-freeze it, slice it as thin as you can and marinate for 1-3 days in your preferred mix of spices and sauce, then stick in the oven on lowest heat with door slightly ajar, or in summer in Stgo and north, just stick on a cake rack, covered with paper towel to keep the flies out, leave on the balcony for a day, and Bob's your uncle!
We had the most awesome wasabi jerky, super hot chilli jerky, and some mild teryaki jerky for the kids and visiting Chilenos. Best thing ever!
Since moving back to a humid climate, we now own a food dehydrator, which is a bitch to clean, but well worth it.
Enjoy!

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:13 pm

sweetbiscuit wrote:make it yourself. My hubby was bored and decided to experiment and we ended up with some seriously good jerky. Buy the leanest, cheapest meat you can get, semi-freeze it, slice it as thin as you can and marinate for 1-3 days in your preferred mix of spices and sauce, then stick in the oven on lowest heat with door slightly ajar, or in summer in Stgo and north, just stick on a cake rack, covered with paper towel to keep the flies out, leave on the balcony for a day, and Bob's your uncle!
We had the most awesome wasabi jerky, super hot chilli jerky, and some mild teryaki jerky for the kids and visiting Chilenos. Best thing ever!
Since moving back to a humid climate, we now own a food dehydrator, which is a bitch to clean, but well worth it.
Enjoy!

Oooooo. About how long do you have to have it in the oven?

Andres

Post by Andres » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:20 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:Oooooo. About how long do you have to have it in the oven?
Here are a few of the many recipies which came up on a dogpile.com search "beef jerky":

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/docs-best-beef-jerky/

http://www.jerky.com/beef-jerky-recipes.html

http://www.greatjerky.com/recipes
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

dywp

Post by dywp » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:29 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:
dywp wrote:Maak dit maar self. There use to be a guy from sa who sold it and also boere worse. But he hasnt been getting back to mails sent to him. Laat weet as jy iets raak loop
o_O

Afrikaans?
Yup indeed it is.
Here's a quick way of making it if you have space to hang it:

WHAT YOU NEED:

an electric fan
a light
1 kg meat-many different meats can be used -if you do not have access to ostrich, game etc then try a cut of beef like eye of the round or flank(my favourite)
some vinegar
less than a table spoon of course salt (or Kosher salt)
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of coriander (whole)(get it at a bulk food store)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
string
just to be extra square you also need a good knife, fridge, electricity, scissors, a couple of bowls, some nails or hooks, a hammer and someone to make fun of you for trying to maintain your South African heritage. A couple other ingredients that I have never used but you may wish to use are bicarbonate of soda (apparently to prevent mold setting in) and saltpetre which acts as a preservative and gives the biltong a bright red colour.

INSTRUCTIONS

Wash the meat.
Cut the meat at an angle with the grain into about one inch strips.
Sprinkle vinegar over the meat
Place the coriander in a bag and lightly crush the whole coriander so that the effect of the coriander will be greater.
Make the "biltong mix" by combining the course salt, brown sugar, coriander, black pepper.
Dip the meat into the "biltong mix" until all the mix is used up.
Place the meat in a tray for a few hours, or over night, in the fridge.
After a few hours dump any blood that has seeped out of the meat.
Dip the biltong quickly into a water/vinegar mixture to remove surface salt.
Hang the biltong by making a very small incission through the slice of meat with a knife about an inch from the end of the meat.
Cut the string into about 10 inch strips which are placed through the meat and tied to form a loop.
Hang the biltong in a place not to far from an electrical outlet by taking the loop of string and place it on the hook or nail or hangar or whatever device you have created to suspend the meat.
To dry the meat turn on the light(regular light bulb) and the fan and leave for about 4-7 days depending on humidity, temperature and taste.

dywp

Post by dywp » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:54 pm

So I have been making some biltong to the delight of the family (chileans) who doesn't seem to get enough of it , between them and some friends 4kg of the stuff disappeared last month. Im using national silverside and a secret family recipe

picalena

Post by picalena » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:53 pm

For those of us that live in the south and purposely make fires inside our houses every day, anyone (nudge - Lazarus, Rune) know of a good way to harness the smoke for this jerky of which you speak? I have both a cocina a lenya and a caldera a lenya at my disposal. And since we turn from sun to rain tomorrow, as it happens, the wood is a burning at this moment.

pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

GJJIM

Post by GJJIM » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:15 am

El pescado wrote:Try to look for Charqui! I`m sure they sell it at the supers. But I think it will be horse instead of beef.
Up here, our jerky comes from factories in China. It's labeled as beef, but your post has me wondering...nah the Chinese would never do that, would they? :alien: