knives and customs

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
4heid

knives and customs

Post by 4heid » Sun May 13, 2012 10:02 pm

I am taking a nice SOG hunting/survival knife to chile this summer (US) as a gift for a friend who likes to camp.
Does anyone believe I will have any issues getting through customs in the airport with this gleaming on the xray?

I am not concerned about personal carrying issues as I am merely transporting it in my suitcase as a gift but didnt know if anyone had any problems with this, its probably about 10" in length.

admin
Site Admin

Re: knives and customs

Post by admin » Mon May 14, 2012 10:51 am

I buy all my knives online from Amazon and have them shipped in because for the price of one crappy knife in Chile (the lock broke on one and nearly took my fingers off), I can buy a whole collection good knives. I have a tendency to loose knives or simply never have them where I need them, so I buy a few at a time. Never had a problem.

Just make sure you check them in the luggage. Don't think they will care.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon May 14, 2012 1:38 pm

No issue I do it all the time, dive knives, chef knives, gifes of Puma White Hunters, checked bag.

Curious as to why you would think it's an issue, its not a Glock.
It's all about the wine.

4heid

Post by 4heid » Mon May 14, 2012 10:59 pm

a friend of mine told me he had an issue a few times traveling internationally with knives and i just wanted to make sure there were no random customs oddities that anyone had experienced.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Tue May 15, 2012 3:41 am

That reminds me of a "conversation" I had this weekend with a "seasoned" young traveller who began to tell me all the things she would do in Chile. I enquired where in SA she had been? "Peru"... OK, well Chile might be different...(wait while I am told about chile) and what do you think you will do there? (wait while chile's oysterlike properties are explained) "But you should be careful, I got jumped by 6 flaites" (wait while the widespread "shanking" of said flaites is demonstrated by this elegant lady. After this, I mentioned that the best all around carry knife from a tourist perspective is the ubiquitous retractible Stanley knife. "No, my knife is bigger than that Benchmade you've got"..... "uhh this? or my Cold Steel kukri?"
I will take the 5th thankee... :alien:
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

ABIII

Post by ABIII » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:54 pm

at La Guardia I once got a jumpy TSA agent who had x rayed my bags at the curb
ask me why do you have a knife in your suitcase?
with a look of "are you planning to unbolt the floor of the plane, jump into the unpressurized cargo hold, find your bag, find your knife in your bag, get back into the cabin, find a suitable victim..."

I explained it was a wrapped kitchen knife, a gift for someone in Chile.
and that I understood that it being in a suitcase made it ok...
apparently it was deemed dangerous for a knife to be with me
within the airport

USA! USA!
Based in Chile - 1990
Lake District - 2009

Aysen

Post by Aysen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:08 pm

ABIII wrote: apparently it was deemed dangerous for a knife to be with me within the airport

Sometimes I fear that the new national pastime has become Paranoia.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:26 pm

I brought a Ka-bar down with me in my checked bags and there wasn't even a second glance by Aduanas.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Let's not be alarmist here. What you carry on your person, and what you pack in checked baggage is different. I brought an entire set of carving knives in my checked luggage. And a wicked filtet knife. all were perfectly acceptable and inspected going through customs in Chile, though the small bag of dog food for the dog traveling with us was confiscated.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Yep, personal luggage have brought in various knives from many innocent kitchen knives to a double edged Gerber boot knife, a sap, a collapsible baton all without questions from Aduanas. Confusing the issue with public carry is absurd.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Px, fuck off. Nothing you have said has any relevance to this conversation at all.

If you get in to a knife fight or pull a knife on someone, yea, your going to have some legal issues. If you stab someone with a fork in the restaurant, yea, your going to have some legal problems. Not just in Chile. Pretty much every country in the World. You better have a pretty dam good reason for it. It is illegal everywhere. Otherwise known as assault with a deadly weapon in the States, and some variation in most other countries. Chile's law just happens to spell it out a bit more.

You know, I know, everyone that has spent more than 30 seconds in Chile knows, that if for whatever reason carbinarios decided to spot check any restaurant or other establishment in the country of its patrons (which they don't) or someone was so inclined to study it, 3/4th would have knives of some form on them. Everything from the lady doing her nails, the well dressed executive with a swiss army knife on his keychain, to the campo guy with a 10 inch boot knife. No one cares. not even the police.

There are places they do care, and for good reasons, and with a little common sense you should have no problem not loosing your knife at the check point. For example, football stadiums that might develop in to riot at the end of the game would be one of those. Obviously they don't want a bunch of knife packing hoodlums to deal with. The airport screening for unchecked knives (checked ones are just fine). Bars are bad place to carry a knife, because drunks tend to get carried away.

Please.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:35 pm