Extend temporary residence visa, or apply for a new one?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

cmp

Extend temporary residence visa, or apply for a new one?

Post by cmp » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi, I'm currently living in Chile on a tourist visa because my temporary visa expired this past year while I was in the US (and not planning to return to Chile). I'm in the process of being hired by a company here in Chile who has told me that they will help me apply for a work visa. However, I think a temporary visa is more flexible if I change jobs in the coming year. Should I apply for a new temporary visa, or can I renew my old visa (and keep my carnet, etc.)?

john

Re: Extend temporary residence visa, or apply for a new one?

Post by john » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:34 pm

cmp wrote:Hi, I'm currently living in Chile on a tourist visa because my temporary visa expired this past year while I was in the US (and not planning to return to Chile). I'm in the process of being hired by a company here in Chile who has told me that they will help me apply for a work visa. However, I think a temporary visa is more flexible if I change jobs in the coming year. Should I apply for a new temporary visa, or can I renew my old visa (and keep my carnet, etc.)?
Unfortunately, you will have to apply for a new temporary visa. My original temporary visa expired while I was in the US and I had to apply for a new temporary visa when I returned to Chile.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Post by john » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Just to be clear, a request to extend a temporary visa must take place before its expiration date.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:01 pm

It looks like a new one is your only option.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

cmp

Post by cmp » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Hmm I figured :/ Thanks for the info.

In that case, am I able to work while my temporary visa is being processed? I noticed that I can ask for permission to work on the temporary visa application, but I'm not sure if it's better for me to file a separate application for a work visa so that I can work sooner, or wait until I receive my temporary visa.