The Wish List goes here

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

longjonsilver

view active topics

Post by longjonsilver » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:55 am

it would be cool to have a "view active topics" GUI so we could quickly see what people are posting today or recently.
just a thot
jon

RWS

Post by RWS » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:20 am

You've got it, jon!

At < http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/index.php >, click "View posts since last visit", which appears immediately above the right-hand column headed "Last Post".

admin
Site Admin

chile rss feed

Post by admin » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:17 am

With the rss feed you can create a live bookmark for your browser and see the most recent posts almost as they happen.

If you navigate to this link, your browser should ask you what you want to do with it. I have for instance a button on my tool bar in firefox that I click every once and a while to see what has been posted without needing to visit the site every time I want to see what is going on the forum.

http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/rss.php
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

longjonsilver

Post by longjonsilver » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:02 pm

RWS wrote:You've got it, jon!

At < http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/index.php >, click "View posts since last visit", which appears immediately above the right-hand column headed "Last Post".
OK OK im blind, gotta keep myself humble somehow ':)'
jon

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:10 pm

Hey longjohn, don't feel bad. I've been on this forum for a year and just last month figured it out.

admin
Site Admin

buttons on the forum

Post by admin » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:39 pm

yea, in the next upgrade I am going to paint a big arrow over top of it. I think I am going to add the feed to like the bottom of every page so that you can see like say the last ten posts by everyone.

The lazy gringo that runs this forum keeps threating to do a lot of things, but he is afraid of breaking a good thing by messing with it too much.

If I do anything to that button or anything else now, I have to think long and hard about how many PM's and emails I want to answer when the other 200 members can not find it.

I just try to keep the monster fed, otherwise it will bite my head off.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

RuneTheChookcha

Re: users

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:26 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:24 pm
The problem is if I try to cut the spammers by dropping all the people with 0 post, ...
Sorry for reviving this ancient topic. A friend of mine is running a phpBB board, somewhere around the latest version, but their problem is they have no clue regarding the right anti spambot measure to implement.

The Google reCaptcha seems to be broken by bots, and it appears to be broken by robots (not humans). The various screwed images are of course broken, and even the question to solve soon becomes broken to allow all sorts of spambots in.

I am just curious, how this forum presently fights automated spambot submissions? By certain IP subnets blocked on the server level, perhaps?

admin
Site Admin

Re: The Wish List goes here

Post by admin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:10 pm

by using a fully automated weon (me).

i regularly change up the anti-spam measures, have written a few myself, or tweaked a few native ones so that bot writers can not simply look at the open source code and write a bot. i throw just sufficient wrenches in to the native systems, to make it not worth their while to write one just for the forum.

i just have to deal with the human ones, which pretty much comes down to a policy of banning anyone that sneezes wrong on the first post. they better convince me they know where chile is, not post any links or even mention a company, and otherwise act like a potential forum member.

here is a good example, and by far the simplist, is on the registration form where it ask your time zone, set the automated pull down menue to default to the time zone in the middle of the pacific where no humans live. bots to stay lean dont handle that field, or require a lot more code, that makes them bloated, so they tend to pick the default time zone. thus, they choke on that question and are redirected to an error message, that only a human would know how to handle if they did not select the right time zone.

mem

Post by mem » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:11 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:10 pm
by using a fully automated weon (me).

i regularly change up the anti-spam measures, have written a few myself, or tweaked a few native ones so that bot writers can not simply look at the open source code and write a bot. i throw just sufficient wrenches in to the native systems, to make it not worth their while to write one just for the forum.

i just have to deal with the human ones, which pretty much comes down to a policy of banning anyone that sneezes wrong on the first post. they better convince me they know where chile is, not post any links or even mention a company, and otherwise act like a potential forum member.

here is a good example, and by far the simplist, is on the registration form where it ask your time zone, set the automated pull down menue to default to the time zone in the middle of the pacific where no humans live. bots to stay lean dont handle that field, or require a lot more code, that makes them bloated, so they tend to pick the default time zone. thus, they choke on that question and are redirected to an error message, that only a human would know how to handle if they did not select the right time zone.
Ack you just revealed the secret ingredient!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:00 pm

naaaa, all the above tricks are at least 10-12 years old.

not even sure they still work that well; but they work for me.

especialy the automated weon.

he pours a cup a coffee at dawn, and just starts banning anyone that registered, made their first post, and did not have anything interesting to say in their first post. the older he gets, what counts as "ineresting" is getting less and less interesting. if they are still on the forum by the time he finishes his first cup of coffee, then he considers them a new forum member.

i am only half joking about all that. most the spammers come out of asia / middle east time zones and pretty much have nothing relevant to say, and typicaly say it on a 10 year old thread, so are easily spotted. i pretty much got it down to one or two spam posts a morning that need deleting now.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Yes sir, I was late at the watchtower due to 18 actually 19 personal obligations. I terminated six or so (still in chiremoto fog) with no reservations with my camo taped 50.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat