Do I need to go to a clinic for a UTI?

General topics related to Living in Chile
porotos

Do I need to go to a clinic for a UTI?

Post by porotos » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:10 am

So this is an awkward question, but it has to be asked. Here in Chile can I buy medication for a UTI in a supermarket or can I buy it without a prescription somewhere else (like in a <SPAM WORD>). I ask because I already had to go to Clinica las Lilas once this week and had to pay 30 mil just to go in so I am really hoping that I can get the antibiotics for this without going back to a clinic. Does anyone have any idea?

zer0nz

Re: Do I need to go to a clinic for a UTI?

Post by zer0nz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:14 am

You dont have insurance? thats your biggest mistake, go get some damn insurance!

and if you want antibiotics in chile you need to go to the doctor to get the script!

porotos

Post by porotos » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:17 am

I have insurance with my job, but every time I go to talk to them they won't give me the information about it. That's the other issue. I don't want to wait to get the information from my HR department, because UTIs can cause a million issues in the future.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:48 am

porotos wrote:I have insurance with my job, but every time I go to talk to them they won't give me the information about it. That's the other issue. I don't want to wait to get the information from my HR department, because UTIs can cause a million issues in the future.
Top priority sort that out,

for now keep all your boletas/facturas!

bearshapedsphere

Post by bearshapedsphere » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Technically you need a script. I have "procured" abx from the Doctor Simi near Plaza de Armas without one (beginning of a holiday weekend, got my test results back but couldn't get in to see the doc to get the meds and didn't want the infection to rage). Funny thing, when I got to the doc and he was ready to write me the script, I said, don't worry, I'm on day 4 of the abx already. He was upset, and asked where I got the meds, but I didn't want to drop a dime on my supplier. (kidding, mostly).

Your best bet is actually to go to a neighborhood <SPAM WORD> (not a chain), and try to play the sympathy card with whoever you talk to. Sometimes they will take pity on you. If not, try not going to Clínica Las Lilas, which is pricey, I guess. To get seen at Clinica Integramédica (which most gringos seem to avoid as they see it as lower class, but it's where I almost always go) should cost about half that, though I don't know what the tests will run you, a full urinanalysis is listed as 1274 (looking at the paper right now), but there might be a different cost for insured vs. uninsured.
11 years and counting in Chile
http://bearshapedsphere.com
tweeting occasionally at /bearshapedspher
food whatnot at instagram/dishsantiago

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:02 pm

Try D-Mannose. It's a type of sugar that people don't digest, so it just passes through your system, and is eliminated when you go to the bathroom. But most of the stuff (bacteria?) that causes UTI's love the stuff. So the bacteria/whatever attach to the D-Mannose (sugar) as it passes through your urinary tract, and they're eliminated along with the sugar, when you go to the bathroom. No drugs needed. And it works most of the time. Drug stores in the US typically sell it over the counter. But I haven't looked for it in Chile.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:06 pm

If you are a average looking chilean you can often just ask for them over the counter, my girlfriend just explained i had problem with wisdom tooth coming through, they gave me some normally subscription strength drugs over the counter, although i was meant to go to the clinica for a prescription for them. I think its because I asked for their advice rather then telling them what i needed, then i looked what they presented and agreed on it, or i could disagree and then go to the clinica.

If you have medical insurance with your work, is it chilean buisiness you work for? If so you should just be able to take your insurance paperwork or number to the clinica or ask them on the telephone if they cover it. Normally a insurance company is tied with a specific chain of hospitals and specific pharmacey.

audeo13

Post by audeo13 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:10 am

Honestly, some of the smaller mom and pop <SPAM WORD> shops will often sell you antibiotics without a script. Just had to get some a while back, it was no problem. Just talk to the pharmacist and explain the problem. You may have to try a couple before you find one that will do it, hard to say. It was pretty easy for me but I'm not in Santiago. Good luck, UTI's suck. You have my sympathy. Drink lots of water.
Does anyone want a very sweet little puppy, she's vaccinated and fixed...

http://www.refinedhedonist.com

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:59 pm

This is a link about d-mannos.

http://www.d-mannoseworks.com/

I didn't read it all, but what I did read sounded about right. My aunt's doctor (she's in California) had her use it before, and she said it worked. And apparently it doesn't have any side-effects like you get using antibiotics.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:01 am

And this is another link about a study done on it

http://www.healingtherapies.info/D-Mannose.htm

rocksana

Post by rocksana » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:58 am

Ouch, hope you fixed it already.
If you went to see a doc already normally they are ok if you call them back when you have your test results, and he should just give you a prescription. But with UTIs normally they would juts give you an antibiotic hoping the bacteria is not resistant so you can start treating it before having the results that take a few days. As far as I know you cannot get antibiotics over the counter, but once I did get other stuff that are sold only on prescriptions at one of those small drug stores near 'la vega', maybe they might give you some... people tell me that if you tell them you 'lost' the prescription they might just give it to you :)

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:59 am

Mega Salud, General doctor $18000, went yesterday to get a script for antibiotics for a chest infection, only costed $1800 because of my insurance, but the private price is $18000, not expensive at all

antibiotics were $14000 :( very expensive, was the type she prescribed, i know the antibiotics they give for UTI is about $2000