Bringing my dog to UK without quarantine

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
cielo

Bringing my dog to UK without quarantine

Post by cielo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:11 pm

I am moving to UK and want to bring my dog. He has all her rabies test up to date but apparently she still has to go into quarantine for 6 months anyway because she is coming from a country that is not on the pet passport list. I really don’t want to do this as he could not cope with that. Also the price is ridiculously expensive. Is there anyone with experience of going through this that can suggest an alternative to quarantine? Thanks for the help

cafecreme

Re: Bringing my dog to UK without quarantine

Post by cafecreme » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:43 pm

I am by no means an expert on this (we just looked into it in case we get a pet here and want to take it back)... but could you take her overland to Argentina and fly out direct to the UK from Buenos Aires? I think Chile isn't seen as a rabies risk so if there was a direct flight you wouldn't need to put your dog in quarantine, but as there isn't, well. That's where the complications start.

maxine

Post by maxine » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:14 am

The rules regarding the 6mnth quarantine of animals in the UK was changed a while back and, as long as your pet is prepared properly prior to travel, you wont have to put him in quarantine. This is only for certain countries but Chile is one of these: http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/p ... /other.htm

The link attached shows you what you need to do such as microchipping and vaccinations etc.. (There is a microchipping and vaccination service at Los Dominicos from 25th to 30th October). You can also email them if you need to check anything.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/p ... owners.htm

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:26 pm

I've sent a dog to the UK from the USA on a pet passport. It went smoothly, but the timing for all the requirements is quite specific.

So, if you try it, make sure you understand exactly what must be done and when.

It might be possible to take the dog to Europe, and then through the chunnel into Britain. It's easier to get a dog into Europe and if the dog has a European pet passport, that should get it into Britain.

You could take the dog to the USA, get a rabies shot, wait 10 days, send the blood out for the immunity test, which doesn't take long, and get a pet passport from the USA. It would be quicker and probably less money than quarantine.

I took 2 dogs through quarantine in Scotland. I went 3 times a week and sat with them for an hour each time. The dogs came through the quarantine just fine.

Funny though. I was always the only pet owner visiting. You'd think that if someone cared enough about a pet enough to pay for quarantine, they'd care enough to visit the pet.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:52 am

I had an issue recently where i wanted to bring my dog from a country that was not on a pet passport country to Ireland which is same as uk regulations.The only option was to stick her in quarantine for 6 months and get charged about 3k or bring her to an eu country for 6 months before brining her to Ireland on a pet passport, allowing me to skip quarantine in Ireland.This is a a toy dog that has never been left alone and slept every night on our pillow so there was no way i was putting her in quarantine or even in boarding kennel abroad. So I got a friends mother in czech republic to mind her for 6 months for 1500 . She lives in the house and has another dog to play with and a big back garden. For me that was a much better option than putting her in quarantine for 6 months .Its a quite country village where the neighbors are very close so the dog is in the next door neighbors house all the time also .The mother or next door neighbor would probably take another dog as they love them and have taken dogs in similar circumstances before. If you want me to ask you can drop me a mail on bushlizard@gmail.com

audeo13

Post by audeo13 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:03 pm

I had a friend who moved to Ireland to work for Google and had to plan well in advance in order to take his cat. He was going from Canada who is one of the pet passport members for the UK, however Ireland would not accept that. He was able to get her in by taking her through England however. Apparently the Brits have something worked out with the Irish? He didn't have to do any quarantine, but did have to make sure all her shots and paperwork were administered and prepared according to the pet passport schedule.

I have friends here who are planning on taking their dog home to England and they've been told landing in Europe is not an option if they want to avoid any sort of quarantine, either in England or Europe. Since they can't get a direct flight from Chile to London, they're probably going to fly direct from here to Canada (Air Canada flies direct to Toronto 4 or 5 times a week from SCL) and from there direct to London. You may not be able to get the best ticket price, but it will probably still be cheaper than quarantine and less stressful for your dog.
Does anyone want a very sweet little puppy, she's vaccinated and fixed...

http://www.refinedhedonist.com

sophieb

Post by sophieb » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:31 pm

I am writing to ask if anyone has first experience of taking their pet from Chile to the UK?

I want to take my cat in August. I know all the information about the vaccines and certificates that's no problem, as I have a great vet here. However, I am desperate for information on which airline to take and how the procedure works, especially as the journey will require a change. The main problem is because there is no direct flight from Santiago to London. The options seem to go either via Buenos Aires, Paris or Madrid. I don't know what would be the best option.

I looked at British Airways World Cargo but they require you to go through an official pet travel agency, that will directly deal with BA world cargo. I guess this could be the expensive option.

Anyone with experience? Thank you!

diamondtoy

Post by diamondtoy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:41 am

hello, i was wondering if you have any advice or can tell me where i can get her the blood serum test in chile and can you recommend a good vet. my spanish is also poor and i have just been going round in circles with this!the dog is 5 months now and had her rabies injection in january and i need to know how to get her a passport now my email is natalia _scarlett@hotmail.co.uk
thanks i have been told there is a rabies test facility in santiago but i have not bee able to find and contact them as of yet. my dog is in peru now and i am in the uk about to return to peru.x