children's shoes

General topics related to Living in Chile
runawaytrain

children's shoes

Post by runawaytrain » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:15 pm

Apologies in advance for the mind-numbingly mundane nature of this post, but PLEASE does anyone know a good place to buy children's shoes in Chile?? (I'll be in Santiago next week, so I guess that gives me a better choice...?
Having just spent the morning trudging around Chillan with a reluctant 3 year old looking for that apparently rare species - a shoe shop that measures feet (one shop said they did have one but it was nicked, everyone else just shrugged and waggled their finger - so that's how they do it over here?!), both myself and my dear son have had enough (and got sore feet into the bargain)...is it just us Brits that measure feet (as for width, now that really is asking for the moon)?
And its not just the measuring I'm worrying about....how on earth do I convert from UK, via EU or US sizes to Chilean, which appear to follow a rule of their own?
And then even if I just give up and approximate with the good old finger measurement, my son has narrow feet...anyone know if a brand that has a narrow last? It seems to me that Americans have wide feet (and expensive shoes)...any good Chilean brands out there??

admin
Site Admin

Re: children's shoes

Post by admin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:21 pm

Your trying to do this in Chillian?

Last time I was in Chillan I had trouble finding food past 10 p.m., let alone something as advanced as shoes. Specialty shopping has to be done in Santiago. There is just not sufficient money in Chillan for people to keep specialty shoe shops operating. Generally buying shoes anywhere in Chile is done at malls, and with stock brands.

There is no such thing as a Chilean brand shoe. The country only has 15 million people. Anyone so stupid as to try and make one is likly eating their shoes to try and stay alive.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

runawaytrain

Post by runawaytrain » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:17 pm

:? Just as well my post wasn't "where can I buy food after 10pm in Chillan?" , then I'd really be worried...
And just as well I'm not a chillanejo (or whatever they like to call themselves), else I might be a wee bit offended :( -
- I've always considered Chillan to have more than enough shoe shops to keep all but the most avid shoe collector happy (including all those overpriced, ubiquitous American brands that I can't bring myself to mention)...its just the level of training of the staff that leaves a bit to be desired...maybe I'm just an over-protective and inflexible gringo mum - but, hey, surely my little one's feet are worth a bit of effort before I roll over on my back and go shoe native...it is surely beats paying all those exorbitant osteopath's bills for the bad back that I will inevitably get from too much carrying of small child with sore feet that will otherwise ensue...
oh, and for the record...I've alway considered Chillan to be my most favourite of all Chilean cities...I could go on for a long while listing its many virtues over and above other larger cities...but let's keep that for another rainy day...

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:23 pm

Isn't Gacel a Chilean brand of womans shoe? My wife tells me they put out a fine product.

Steph

Post by Steph » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi, I can't help you with size conversions, but we have bought shoes from Skechers, Colloky, Bubblegummers, Geox and Hush Puppies. Both Parque Arauco and Alto Las Condes (both big shopping centres in Las Condes) have children's shoe stores, (Hush Puppies Kids), and the main retailers (Falabella, Ripley etc) carry the main brands too. That said, I would not say that the quality is brilliant, although my girls like shoes for show more than wear :D . My preference for value for money is definitely skechers and Hush Puppies, but unless you go to the Hush Puppy kids store you are only going to find 3 different styles for little kids. Maybe someone else out there can help you with something a little further afield than las condes... good luck!

runawaytrain

Post by runawaytrain » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:29 pm

thanks for that. do any of these stores actually measure feet, not just shove a finger down the back??

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Never seen one measure a foot or any type of tool for it in a store.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Steph

Post by Steph » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:48 pm

measuring feet? even if they had the right device it is unlikely that anyone in the store would be trained to use it, though you most likely could do it yourself... I am yet to find a salesperson who will actually try to fit the shoe on the foot (for child or adult), usually they just hand you the right shoe, and then roll their eyes and huff when you tell them you'd really like to try BOTH shoes on. And they look at you really strangley when you ask your kid to walk around the store in the shoe and test their toes and heels are sitting comfortably. All part of the rich tapestry of Chile.

All this aside, your best bet for the shoe-measuring-device (someone please tell me what it is called), would be Hush Puppies based on what I have seen for their relative level of professional ability in show-showing (still a stretch to call it fitting).

rugatorbait

Post by rugatorbait » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:26 am

http://thefixturezone.com/shoefitting.h ... 5QodOGIdpQ
Before anyone deletes the http the device is called the Brannock Foot Measuring Device. Good luck in getting their feet measured. If I bought one could I charge for everyone else to use it!

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:48 pm

I remember seeing a place on the web that had a foot measuring device, but it wasn't as expensive as $67. Unfortunately I don't remember where. :?

runawaytrain

Post by runawaytrain » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:21 pm

:D SUCCESS!!! Thank you all so much for your input...my little boy is now the proud owner of a new pair of correctly fitting (if rather expensive ) new shoes, thanks to Hushpuppy Kids in Mall Parque Arauco and their super sophisticated :!: measuring device...ok, so it took the lady a while to find it under a pile of junk behind the till, but to her credit, she did admit to having one, and knew how to use it! She was even remarkably tolerant of my general pfaffing around the shop trying on every pair until I was satisfied that we had the correct fit...
I must admit though, the whole experience makes me wonder whether I need to rethink my world view, born of a childhood where my feet were regular inserted into an enormous, ELECTRONIC width and length measuring device, only to leave the shop with a new pair of shoes that were guaranteed to give me blisters...was it all worth it? Were a whole generation of British youth brainwashed in to believing that YOU CANNOT BUY A PAIR OF SHOES UNLESS THE LADY FROM CLARKS SAYS THEY'RE OK?...hmmmm...lets see what we do next time round.... :?

Laura55llc

Post by Laura55llc » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:41 am

Hushpuppies is a pretty popular brand here and does seem to be a good shoe...and rather expensive. I find it amusing that it once was very popular in the US(20 or 30 years ago?) and has almost disappeared there. But here in Chile, it found a new market and seems to be firmly planted. Like Coca Cola.
“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” - Aldous Huxley