WARNING: Chile shipping companies and door to door

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Gloria

Re: WARNING: Chile shipping companies and door to door

Post by Gloria » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:18 pm

chesswolf wrote:Sorry folks. I've used the search feature and spent a few hours trying to find it on my own, but where can I find the actual link to the $5,000 exemption you get one time when you move to Chile? The actual extranjeria page would be very helpful and save me further stress. Thanks!
That's if you are a Chilean citizen, are you? You need to look under ADUANA, extranjería has nothing to do with it.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:35 pm

Gloria wrote:
chesswolf wrote:Sorry folks. I've used the search feature and spent a few hours trying to find it on my own, but where can I find the actual link to the $5,000 exemption you get one time when you move to Chile? The actual extranjeria page would be very helpful and save me further stress. Thanks!
That's if you are a Chilean citizen, are you? You need to look under ADUANA, extranjería has nothing to do with it.
Read somewhere that in order to take advantage of the exemption, one must have residency process in place before its cargo arriving to Chile ports? Thought the admin did a report on this back circa 2011?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:49 am

This thread has been going a long time, I recall 10 yrs ago making most of the mistakes it's possible to make when importing a half 20' container from London. The shippers in the UK were good to their word. But then Chile got involved. The dock workers were on strike in San Antonio, I got an e mail to let me know that my container had landed in Talcahuano. Great... I went down there with my "man Friday" and for 4 days we waited to be given a number out of that little window to find our container in the port. Talcahuano is big. Finally after moving my flight twice I lost patience and bribed the guy in the window with $50. The other customs agents were so pissed but at 09:15 the next day I had aduanas looking over my stuff and I was on my way in an hour. I had paid all the duties etc before. The trucking from Talcahuano up to El Tabo was a shocker but hey, in chile nothing's cheap.

I have a big 1 metre terracotta sun that I have had packed in a crate waiting to go to San Antonio for the past 8 yrs but I never hook up in time with anyone going from LA. I'll pay over the going rate to get it to Chile, just give me enough time to get it to you!
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes