Mercosur and Permanent Residency

General topics related to Living in Chile
vanman

Mercosur and Permanent Residency

Post by vanman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Read today that having permanent residency in a mercosur country gives you the right to travel freely between it and other Mercosur countries without a passport or visa. Even allows you to live in those countries as long as your permanent residency is valid. Uruguay appears to make it pretty easy to get residency. Just submit a few required forms and show proof of $500USD a month income. Good for 3 years and renewable every 3 years. As I was thinking of living on a tourist visa in Chile I haven't really looked at Chile's residency requirements. From what you know would it be worth my while to get residency in Uruguay as opposed to getting it in Chile? Getting the tourist card renewed every 3 months probably won't be that big a deal but I like being able to travel freely between the countries without the red tape.

Ventisquero

Re: Mercosur and Permanent Residency

Post by Ventisquero » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:54 am

I suppose, vanman, you are aware that Chile is NOT a Mercosur member.
I'm not sure if a Mercosur residency gives you the right to live indefinitely in other Mercosur countries, but probably not in Chile.
Permanent residents of Chile get a 90 day visitor permit when they go to Argentina (a Mercosur member). No passport is required indeed, just a Chilean ID.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:46 am

Permanent residency in Chile, means permanent residency. You don't have to renew it every three years and you do not have to show income once you receive it. You do have to prove income during the application process which takes about year of temporary residency plus about three months for various paperwork approvals. You do not need to leave the country to renew your tourist visa during the temporary residency application period once it is filed.

There are lots of threads on the forum about it. Use the search function to find them. We have articles posted on http://www.spencerglobal.com about it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

vanman

Post by vanman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:51 am

Ventisquero wrote:I suppose, vanman, you are aware that Chile is NOT a Mercosur member.
I'm not sure if a Mercosur residency gives you the right to live indefinitely in other Mercosur countries, but probably not in Chile.
Permanent residents of Chile get a 90 day visitor permit when they go to Argentina (a Mercosur member). No passport is required indeed, just a Chilean I D.
Thanks, just read on Wikipedia that Chile is an associate member, not a full member like Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Paraguay, and soon to be Venezuela. Would be interesting from an expat standpoint to be able to travel freely.

vanman

Post by vanman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:11 am

admin wrote:Permanent residency in Chile, means permanent residency. You don't have to renew it every three years and you do not have to show income once you receive it. You do have to prove income during the application process which takes about year of temporary residency plus about three months for various paperwork approvals. You do not need to leave the country to renew your tourist visa during the temporary residency application period once it is filed.

There are lots of threads on the forum about it. Use the search function to find them. We have articles posted on http://www.spencerglobal.com about it.
Just a question concerning forum etiquette Mr.Spencer. Is it considered bad form here to bring up other countries that border Chile? Being such a long narrow country it would seem that a certain amount of interaction with it's neighbors would be natural. I kind of feel a certain vibe when I mention other countries. May be wrong, but if not I wonder why anyone in Chile would feel threatened by that? Afterall it's widely recognised that Chile has many advantages over it's neighbors. Other than that this is an excellent forum. Sorry I'm not committing completely to Chile but then I'll always be an outsider anyways. Deteriorating conditions in the U.S. are making some of us mercenaries in search of something better on limited funds. But I promise to be quiet, respectful, learn the language, and spend my money in the local economy where it might do some good. And leave the forum topics to the insiders. Buenas Noches!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:47 am

no not at all. In fact we use to have a dedicated South America forum here, but dropped it for lack of activity.

The neighbors are such a bunch of screw ups they are like free advertising for Chile.

The only one that is banned is Uruguay (I'm joking). Those bastards seem to have their act together. The only thing so far I have really been able to find that Chile has over on them is way cooler geography, and now perhaps the residency thing. We have a lot of clients that own property in both countries.

Short list of problems with the neighbors:
To the North, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia: politically unstable poor corrupt crime ridden humanitarian disasters.
Brazil: Corruption, crime, and wide spread poverty.
Venezuela: well it is Venezuela
Argentina: The biggest Ponzi scheme ever. Anyone that invest there, was a sucker to start with (e.g. IMF, World Bank). You will be guaranteed to loose your money sooner or later.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

vanman

Post by vanman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks Charles, and it's the geography that makes it an easy choice. I've read that Uruguay is pretty much Iowa with a good beach. I've also read that Internet access is expensive and not very good. And a travel blog I saw the other day described how much different Arica was compared to Peru. A young American couldn't get over how clean and orderly it was. Was amazed to see a Chilean cop writing a traffic ticket! Being brash, said he missed Peru already, but what he described sounded great to me. I do wish it were closer to central Chile. I want to be able to travel home annually to see family, so I can't live where I'd spend my entire pension to get by.