Long visit to Coyhaique

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
bebuiles

Long visit to Coyhaique

Post by bebuiles » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:27 am

Hello!
Thank you all for your time supporting people who are travelling and planning to visit Chile.
My husband and I are planning to visit Coyhaique and stay for 3-6 months.We are planning to be in Coyhaique around April 20,2009. I hope there is someone living in Coyhaique or nearby who can help us to answer these questions?

1. What type of internet services are available (DSL, Satellite, Cable) and what are the names of companies providing internet services in that area? Is the internet reliable 99% of the time or the weather and other elements affect reliability? Is the speed good and support VoIP?

2. We are bringing 3 laptop, 1 mini PC, and 2 wireless router, we need them for our business, is it going to be a problem entering Chile?

3. We are travelling with our two dogs (15 lb and 50 lb ), a large dog crate, and total of 6 large bags (50lb each) -> we are going to need a lot of space on the plain/car :shock: . Will LAN be OK with us flying with so much load (I read about airplanes being small)? What would be the best way to get from Balmaceda Airport to Coyhaique having in mind how much load we will have? Will be possible to get a van to take us to town or do we need to rent a car? Whom to contact to reserve transportation/rent-a-car?

4. How challenging is to rent a house with two dogs? Do you know for dog friendly hostels or hotels?

5. How is the weather in Coyhaique, a comparison to a USA state will be appreciated. We like to know how much does it rain and how much snow shall we expect year around?

6. Are the houses well insulated in Coyhaique or shall we plan to be cold and spend a lot keeping warm?

Any other suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks
Misha < NO EMAIL > Beatriz

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Re: Long visit to Coyhaique

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:11 am

Misha,

Greg and I just returned from a trip south and spent a few days in Coyhaique both ways, so I can help a little. The city is wired up. They have DSL, cable, and wi-fi. In fact, the city park has free wi-fi...can you imagine that?! While we were there, the weather was a little rough (cold and windy - unusual for December). I believe they had Telesur for phone and DSl, but you will need a RUN to get an account, and it does take some time to get. It might be easier if you rent a place with that and pay extra, or get a landlord to open the account in his name. Our phone/DSL costs us $32,000 pesos a month in Futa, and we use a computer phone service which works pretty good.

First let me tell you that by arriving in April, you will be coming at the beginning of Fall, and towards the end of tourist season, so many of the hostels will be getting ready to wind down. This might be a boon or bust to you, as quite a few homes there are summer homes for people who live in the Santiago area, or out of country. If you do a search for newspapers there, you may be able to find a nice little rental. Or, it may be that some places are just closed up for winter...I don't know. I didn't save my newspapers from there, but do recall seeing an apartment listed for $250,000 pesos a month. I've not been inside a house there, but in general, the buildings and homes appear much better built than say in - Futa. It is a well-supplied city, and much more "alpine"...lots of heavy wood, and Germanic-style architecture. Places are heated with wood-stoves, the good-old fashioned radiators, and it is easy to pick up a little propane gas heater for those hard to heat areas. Temperatures range from 19 C in February to 0.3 C in June. Precipitation average for February is 56 mm, and 178 in June. (I have those handy dandy Copec Maps). And they get a good bit of snow. But they also have a big military compound there...and those are the guys who get things cleared and keep things running when the weather gets rough.

Greg and I traveled with TEN bags, a computer, and a big dog. We just had to pay extra for the bags, and at the time the dog was $50 US. There is a thread here on bringing dog/cat/animals to Chile, with a link to the documents that you should print out and have a veteranarian fill out for you....the dog was the easiest part of the move!

I have no reason to believe you would have trouble with the laptops, several members here travel often with them. I'll defer to them though if they weigh in. The Balmaceda airport is about 50 kilometers from town.

Here is the city site: http://www.coyhaique.cl

Good Luck, Happy Travels, and try not to keep your face stuck in the computers the whole time...get out and enjoy.

Vicki

bebuiles

Post by bebuiles » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:41 am

Vicki,

Thank you for answering our questions.

How did you travel from Santiago to Futa with Ten bags and a large dog?
I am so worry for my big dog he does not travel well.

I did look for coy newspaperbut no rentals listed. I speak spanish but nothing came on internet.

Again thanks you for time; I will make sure Misha takes time to see see beyond his computers...

Beatriz y Misha

Anani Noa

Post by Anani Noa » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:22 am

Vicki,
Did you bring in your ten suitcases and dog on a tourist visa?

Thanks!
Anani

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:30 am

We purchased a vehicle in Santiago since we were moving here for good, and drove. And yes, just came with our passports and Greg's RUT. We applied for our one-year visa's a couple of months later. Try contacting the owner of Hostal Las Salamandras in Coyhaique...he's from Spain...has a big hostel outside of town and is a great guy. He may know of some rentals. info@salamandras.cl. He is one who closes up for winter and goes back to Spain, but may have some contacts. I don't recall where you are coming to Chile from, but if your pet doesn't travel well, it might be a kinder idea to find someone trusted to care for him while you are gone. It is a difficult enough trip for humans....

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:22 am

Just curious...why did you choose Coyhaique? And why in our winter? It's a very nice town, but man, Patagonia this far down is tough in the best of times, winter time you just add on tasks (finding someone to deliver wood, or lugging tanks of propane, chipping the ice off the water in the toilet bowl, rotating those wool socks and winter coats over the wood-burning stove). You will find that no matter what time of year you visit, things proceed at their own, inexplicably slow pace. It took us two months to get internet hooked up,and you should also consider that most places are not rented fully furnished. I'm talking about having to buy a bed, kitchen table, chairs...no to mention bedding and pots and pans.

Again, on the issue of your dogs, at best, if your dogs are allowed to fly at that time (extreme cold or heat), at best, you are subjecting your beloved pets to TWO considerablly traumatic flights. The other alternative is one long flight and a very, very long trip down by rented, or purchased vehicle. We traveled from Santiago with Max, who had to stay at night in blankets in the pickup truck outside our hotels, or hostels on the way down. Then a long ferry ride from Puerto Montt or Chiloe back to the mainland. From Chaiten to Coyhaique by road is another long trip.

No offense intended here, but it doesn't sound like a well-thought out plan, and unless you have some serious business in that area, at that particular time...I'd rethink it.

bebuiles

Post by bebuiles » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:49 am

Gracias Vicki for all your commnets and input. We will do our best to travel before it gets to cold in Coy or we will wait until spring to make it to Coy. Hope Max is enjoying the summer in futa.
Best!
Beatriz

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm sorry if this is morose...but Max did not survive. He survived the trip, but the extreme change in lifestyle and climate and who knows what...he went nuts. He became increasingly aggressive and eventually dangerous, and no efforts to help him succeeded. Although most pets make the trip and do fine, for a trip of just several months, you might consider the emotional side to the extensive travel for them. Also to consider, is that if they are to be walked outside of a gated yard, many, many dogs are loose, not exactly street dogs, but certainly not well-behaved pets on leashes.

But I wish you all the luck, and best times whenever you make it down south.

Vicki

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:15 pm

For those who asked about the forms for bringing a pet...I haven't found where I got them. But...here is the SAG requirements for now:

http://www.sag.gob.cl/portal/page?_page ... ema=PORTAL

ENTERING CHILE WITH PETS:
According to Rule N° 1689 issued by the Quarantine Service of Chile (Servicio Agricola y

Ganadero: http://www.sag.gob.cl ), dated September 16, 1992, cats and dogs entering Chile from the

United States must comply with the following:

o The pet has undergone, within 15 days of traveling, a clinical examination where it is

established that the pet is free from communicable diseases.
o The pet has been vaccinated against rabies between 1 and 12 months preceding embarkation to

Chile.
o The pet has undergone both an internal and external anti parasites treatment.
o At the time of embarkation, the pet does not present any signs of communicable diseases;
o The pet must arrive with a certificate issued by a veterinarian accrediting the following:

Also,
o Compliance with the sanitary requirements set out above
o Name, race and age of the pet
o It should indicate also the consignee’s name as well as the transportation means used to

arrive into Chile
o A reference to the date of the anti rabies vaccination, indicating the serial number of the

vaccine as well as the number of the certificate of quality control.
o The certificate must bear the name, signature and license number of the veterinarian.

For additional information please contact SAG (http://www.sag.gob.cl).

Anani Noa

Post by Anani Noa » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:58 am

Thank you Vicki! You are super helpful.

Very much appreciated!

Anani

bebuiles

Post by bebuiles » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:00 am

Hola Vickie,

Muchas gracias por tu ayuda with pets; can you ask administrator to put this on the pet section of chilewiki. Maybe would be more helpful to others. Since I am so scared to travel with my dogs; I imagine many others are like me, and a pet section is definitely nice to have separate from every other post.
Beatriz

davidbrucehughes

Post by davidbrucehughes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:27 pm

Please do everyone a favor, especially your dogs, and leave them at home. Where we have been staying there seem to be more dogs than people. They bark constantly over nothing, and it is very difficult to do any kind of work requiring concentration. Going for a walk requires arming oneself with a stick, because packs of loose dogs roam about and we have been attacked more than once. The sidewalks and parks are full of dog stool. It is impossible to have a pleasant walk with intelligent conversation because dogs are constantly harassing us from people's yards. Mainly because of this dog problem, we are moving from a very nice and reasonably priced house to another location altogether.
David Bruce Hughes (Gaurahari Dāsānudās Bābājī)
Esoteric Teaching Bridge Community and University of Higher Knowledge

oṁ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya