Why Is It So Expensive To Fly To Chile....

General topics related to Living in Chile
jimmythegreek

Why Is It So Expensive To Fly To Chile....

Post by jimmythegreek » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:50 am

From North America, Caribbean, Central America?...I looked at a ticket on Copa Airlines and it is well over $1000 USD's....It appears the majority of the cost is impuestos to fly into Santiago, Chile...The taxes are almost as much as the ticket itself....This can't be too good for tourism....But keeps a lot of travelers away, which has its positives....

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Re: Why Is It So Expensive To Fly To Chile....

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:04 am

I don't know either why it's so expensive. Miami to Santiago on a search gave me a lowest rate for one airline of $925 (without taxes and added fees). But get this...to fly from Panama City, Panama to Santiago is $1158 without taxes and fees. It used to be said that you could fly into Argentina (BA) for considerably less, but when I was researching for a trip home in August, it was almost the same.

jimmythegreek

Post by jimmythegreek » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:07 am

Looking to do a ski vacation during the sweltering heat months here in El Caribe, but with these ticket prices to SA, it seems like it may be a no go....Hell, I could fly to New Zealand from the Caribbean at these prices....

RWS

Post by RWS » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:14 am

jimmythegreek wrote:Looking to do a ski vacation during the sweltering heat months here in El Caribe....
'Consider water-skiing at home?

Chuck J 3.0

Post by Chuck J 3.0 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:18 pm

I can think of a few reasons. Jet fuel is expensive, and airlines pass on the cost of it to consumers as much as they can get away with. Also, probably because there is not much competition against LAN Chile? Delta's done a heroic job even keeping thier route to Stgo. open; they get treated pretty bad by the airport managment. Try flying into Lima, it's cheaper.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:17 am

As popular as the Chile forum might be, Chile is still a fairly low volume destination. I would blame part of this on the government tourism office. The stats are something like 600,000 tourist visas issued per year, including all you kids that do the boarder run and simply live in Chile. It makes cost of operating routes expensive.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

RWS

Post by RWS » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:27 am

There's a good deal of other "traffic", too, for airliners. Each time I've flown to Santiago, the majority of passengers have been others than tourists: Chileans returning home from work, study, or visits in the States or Europe; foreign businessmen; and others.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:47 am

admin wrote:It makes cost of operating routes expensive.
Most of the Lan or American flights are full, though, in my experience, both to the US and Europe... This seems especially true of Lan, which is often one of the more expensive options.

James.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:26 am

my point is that the total traffic to Chile is about the same as a good size city, because Chile is a final point of travel. It is not like flying in to say L.A., on your way to somewhere else. We are talking a population of 15 million people, say half those people have never left the country on a plane. That is a market of likely less than 7 million fliers, throw in say another 1 million of tourist, businessmen, and so on. The market will simply never be very large. It is rather amazing Chile has a major airline at all. If LAN had not expanded out to cover other countries a few years ago, it likely would not be around.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Hughjb

Post by Hughjb » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:34 pm

There is also a lack of competition from the airlines, a while back United had a Chilean route, no longer.

My experience tells me that if you need/want to get to Chile you have have to fork the bucks :(
Hugo or Hugh, depending where I am

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:24 pm

Greg and I spent over $3800 for RT from Santiago to Atlanta. Ouch. Of course that didn't include the Futa to Santiago fiasco. We told folks, won't be coming back next year as this is 1/3 of our income for a year! They don't deserve our wonderful presence anyway!

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:43 pm

Chuck J 3.0 wrote:Delta's done a heroic job even keeping thier route to Stgo. open; they get treated pretty bad by the airport managment.
But according to today's news, they're now cutting back:
http://www.economiaynegocios.cl/noticia ... p?id=56884
Hughjb wrote:There is also a lack of competition from the airlines, a while back United had a Chilean route, no longer.
Yeah, that was annoying.

James.