Anyone Living In La Serena?

General topics related to Living in Chile
cappy

Anyone Living In La Serena?

Post by cappy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:54 pm

Hello Fellow Chilean Residents.

I am currently relocating to La Serena in October 2008 and looking for anyone who speaks english and can give me the lay of the land. Where the best pub is. Places to avoid. Must see places...etc.

Thanks a bunch.

Lisa

Anani Noa

Re: Anyone Living In La Serena?

Post by Anani Noa » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:10 am

There is an expat organization in La Serena called IESA, the International English Spanish Association, or something like that. I don't think that I'm able to post links yet, but maybe you can find their website through a Google search. I'm also interested in that area. 8)

briloop

Post by briloop » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:35 am

Hughjb

Post by Hughjb » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:16 am

La Serena and Coquimbo are my adopted home towns, although I live in VA, feel free to ask me.
Hugo or Hugh, depending where I am

helibel

Post by helibel » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:32 am

I don't know about pubs, there are plenty on the coast road. I can tell you we go right by them and head towards Coquimbo, and stop at any one of the four seafood restaurants that kind of sit all by themselves on an empty stretch across from the beach before you reach Coquimbo. I don't have a favorite among them, but that is where i have had the best seafood ever except for the Seviche (Peruvian style) in the market in Arica. My mouth waters as I remember ordering something on the menu they were out of, and the waiter walked across the street to some fishing boats and bringing it back, talk about fresh. I'm a fan of that area.

Hughjb

Post by Hughjb » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Now that I have more time,

The area that you are moving to is actually two small adjacent cities, La Serena and Coquimbo and each has its own charms.

La Serena has the bulk of her pubs and good restaurant located in Avenida del Mar, which is a long boulevard that extends from the Lighthouse, all the way into Coquimbo. There you can find all kinds of restaurants most of which open quite late specially in the summer time. La Serena is also the tourist capital or the IV region so is a very nice place, Coquimbo on the other hand is what I will call a blue collar town but it does have its charms, you can find some of the best seafood anywhere and right next to the port there is a new area name "Barrio Ingles" or English neighborhood, which has a rich collection of jazz club and restaurant, the place opens at 10 PM and is street after street.

Avoid two areas, EL Llano and Las Companias, lik in all places there is crime and that is where it concentrates.

Hugh
Hugo or Hugh, depending where I am

Rook

Post by Rook » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:01 am

i went to La Serena this summer for a stay and here is my impression. As I understand, La Serena is still a summer resort city and college town.

Avenida de Mar is a nice place with pubs .....in the summer. I would bet that it is really boring and dead in winter, much like Vina. That said, downtwon La Serena (away from the ocean) seemed like a nice small city with enough to keep me entertained during the winter months. The city has done a decent job of keeping the feel of an older spanish town with nice places to eat/drink/shop.

As for Coquimbo, barrio ingles was fun at night to walk around in the summer and get some drinks and dancing. The fish market in Coquimbo is absolutely fantastic, I loved seeing, smelling and eating all the fresh fish.

Also when you can, take a trip to Pisco Elqui and the Valley Elgui.....i was in awe about the contrast to the green, green valleys and the desert style mountains. Plus the pisco factory stops were fun..

cappy

Post by cappy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks you for all of the tips and recommendations. I leave Toronto for La Serena this Thursday. I can't wait. I'll post a response once I have had a chance to check the town out. Chile here I come.....

griffin

Post by griffin » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:00 pm

IESA website for the La Serena expat group has moved to:

http://www.iesa-chile.com/

I think the reason this group is so stable is due to the confluence of a large expat astronomy community (many IESA events are hosted at the Cerro Tololo Observatory's recinto in La Serena), other expats doing short-term stints in mining-related work, and retirees, combined with the inclusion of Chileans who wish to practice their English. It also has some great organizers who dream up worthwhile events for fun and to help out local schools and charities.

Anyone interested in La Serena may want to check out the new website, as it now has a lot of useful tips for the newcomer (nowhere near as thorough as Tom's Arica site, of course! :) ).