Translation rates

General job offers and work related issues in Chile.
jgb78uk

Translation rates

Post by jgb78uk » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi all,
Anyone have any idea of rates of pay for translating documents.
I freelance to a company (teaching) and they may have some work for me in translating company documents (job functions)
but I've no idea of how people charge.
Is it by the word, by the hour, or by the grace of God?

I've got limited experience so far of translating technical documents... but the thing is I hhave never actually charged until now...

Help.

Jamie

helibel

Re: Translation rates

Post by helibel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:49 pm

i haven't a clue but it should be easy to figure out since there are on line sites that offer that service. A bad computer translation is free but if you want a human they charge. babelfish.com is one but I'm sure there are dozens.

Damo

Post by Damo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:58 am

Try asking around at proz.com for some information on rates in Chile. 12 US cents p/word would be a minimum rate for corp translations.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Anyone have a current feel for the outside of Santiago CLP price for Spanish to English translations:

(1) per word
(2) document (like a resume)
(3) other non tech/legal/med document

:?:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:15 pm

Oh yeah. :D
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:08 pm

This might put translation rates in perspective.

We charge clients 15,000 pesos a page ( page is 225 words) (including legal documents), and it is done by one of the top translators in Chile and perhaps South America. For example, among other things she was the interpretor for the Dali Lama, head of translation department for Emel Chile when it was owned by an American company, and has done the live interpretation for the Oscars on Chilean TV at least 3 times in recent years. Legal documents also get reviewed by an English speaking attorney for legal consistency of meaning after the translation.

Now, I would caution we don't generally give those rates for just anyone off the street. Normally they are expenses related to other work we are doing for clients, such as court cases in other countries where we are also charging much more money for legal services.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

helibel

Post by helibel » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:30 pm

I just got very interested in this topic, I own a small bi-lingual magazine in Vieques (that doesn't make money but is self sustaining), a legacy from my sister, http://www.Viequesevents.net. The minority share holder, and managing editor recently had a minor stroke. I just received a communication the he is not allowed to work anymore. My Spanish (and English) is not good enough to do the other part of his job which was the translation and editing. Yikes

helibel

Post by helibel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:26 pm

I am now a full blown publisher and we pay .05 per word.
http://www.viequesevents.net

helibel

Post by helibel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:28 pm

Puerto Rico. Translators now work all over the world by computer, I have no idea if what I pay is very low or just quite reasonable it is what our translator charges us.I really wanted someone who spoke colloquial Puerto Rican Spanish because though, tourist, expats and visitors love our magazine we also cater to our local population. (we are the only local print publication on our small island) Had she not been available I would have asked a family member in Chile who has translated professionally before. Like many small publications we all do it for love, our advertising revenue hardly covers our publishing and printing costs. But that wasn't your question :D

moravagine

Post by moravagine » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm working on a quote for a Spanish/English translation of a doctoral thesis on language education. The subject matter is fairly complex.
It's 100 pages long, around 40.000 words. It's a big job and I would really like to get it, and would like to quote it a little lower than market price but still of course make some money (that's the idea, right?)
Translation work is under appreciated. Translators are often forced to lowball their quotes just to get jobs, since the client doesn't and won't understand the amount of real work that is involved. I am a little resigned to this fact and so I'm OK with going low, but not too low. At the same time I know that if I go high, I might not get the job, because of course there is always someone who is more desperate than I who would do the work for almost nothing.

If the client were in the states, I would probably charge between 10 and 12 cents per word, the language being fairly technical.
However here in Chile I don't think a price like that would fly.
I have heard that translators in Chile charge between 30 and 50 pesos a word, depending on the complexity.
If I charge on the low end, 30 pesos a word, that makes 1.200.000 clp. Charging 50p a word makes 2.000.000.

Any one have any idea what the going rate is for technical translations, per word and per page?
What is the going rate per page? I've heard its anywhere from 8 to 14 mil.

Would really appreciate any feedback at all from other freelance translators out there in Chile-Land.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:12 am

Between 30-60 per word depending on how technical the language and, frankly, how experienced you are. One recommendation: thesis translations are tricky as far as getting paid is concerned. Businesses are willing to pay for a good, reliable translator but people getting a one off translation often don't realise the hours involved. Therefore it is a good idea to get paid for a first instalment (and by bits thereafter) of the translation and not wait until the end. Or you can ask for some of the payment up front. You do not want to do all the work and then find you have to haggle over the agreed price to get paid. It happened once to me doing a translation for a professor and only the fact that I had a lot of connections in the university involved got me my money in the end. It was a very unpleasant experience.

moravagine

Post by moravagine » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Donnybrook wrote:Between 30-60 per word depending on how technical the language and, frankly, how experienced you are. One recommendation: thesis translations are tricky as far as getting paid is concerned. Businesses are willing to pay for a good, reliable translator but people getting a one off translation often don't realise the hours involved. Therefore it is a good idea to get paid for a first instalment (and by bits thereafter) of the translation and not wait until the end. Or you can ask for some of the payment up front. You do not want to do all the work and then find you have to haggle over the agreed price to get paid. It happened once to me doing a translation for a professor and only the fact that I had a lot of connections in the university involved got me my money in the end. It was a very unpleasant experience.
Thanks for your insight Donnybrook.
The client ended up being in the US and was getting quotes in Chile because someone had told her she could get translation work done at $0.02 USD or LESS in Chile. :|