Anniversary of biggest EQ in human history

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

mem

Anniversary of biggest EQ in human history

Post by mem » Fri May 22, 2020 12:08 pm

Today May 22 - Some really interesting stories in biobio/la tercera about people that lived through the 14 minute 9.5 EQ in 1960. It is known as the Valdivia EQ but its epicenter was in Traiguen and from I have read was felt 1000km away in all directions

I hope that eq released enough pressure to give Araucania and the surrounding regions a century or two off from any big ones.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Anniversary of biggest EQ in human history

Post by admin » Fri May 22, 2020 12:41 pm

yea, I have come to the conclusion that among all the disasters I have experienced, I prefer volcanic eruptions.

earthquakes are sort of one and done. pandemics are just really boring. Tsunami kill too many people, and are over in mins. Floods are too destructive to property. Same with forest fires.

Volcanoes, as long as you are not too close to the buisness end, put on a nice show and are relatively safe to watch.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Fri May 22, 2020 12:51 pm

I had no idea an earthquake could last that long. That would be absolutely terrifying. Hopefully it would give you time to get outside if you could balance yourself.

mem

Post by mem » Fri May 22, 2020 3:23 pm

Yeah it hard to imagine a 9.5 lasting 14 minutes. total nightmare

Again, the stories on the chilean newspapers are amazing and chilling. One guy talked about trying to get out of bed and being smashed to the floor as if an unseen hand was pushing him down (I can relate to that from just the 89 Loma Prieta which was only a 6.x). Then he tried to get to his wife and kids cowering by a door on the far side of the house and he said he ended up dancing (translation) across the floor to them. While his wife and kids were letting out these blood curdling guttural moans and the wife was praying to God saying "Please sir, please we are sorry for our sins and please let this stop (the translation).

Another story was a couple that had got out of the house and was in the open and they thought they were safe and their lives had been spared, but then a "zinc plate" broke loose from a ceiling or roof and was gliding through the air and hit his wife in the head and it seemed to have either decapitated her or just killed her from the head wound and the guy just lost his mind in an instant.

One more was a guy that lived near the andes inland, had a small farm with a structure and domestic animals. This guy had HIS ENTIRE PROPERTY including structures relocated intact from where it was to the shore of a Lake that was a few blocks away! Yet there was no damage to his property/house or animals or anything. The translation read 'It was like an amazing genius transported my property without any damage'. My only thought was how that would be reconciled with property lines and zoning. I guess force majeure and the fact GPS didnt exist in the 60's, this guy got a windfall for lakefront property!

Of course this was 1960 so a lot has changed since then and even then, it was a somewhat of a low death toll around 2000 for the size, length and scope of that 1960 EQ. Whereas if that had happened on the west or east coast of the US it would have been hundreds of thousands just from the sheer human/structure density

Oddly enough...we have been in Chile for 5 years continuously (well 5 years in August) and I have yet to feel a single EQ myself. of course I am sure that will change sooner than later ; )

Glad to be living in wood construction house that already survived the 2010 EQ and passed that with flying colors. I tend to think the next 9.x EQ in Chile probably will be much further south or north than Valdivia just based on tension build up and release.

alextrombone

Post by alextrombone » Fri May 22, 2020 3:40 pm

My wife’s aunt, who was a child during the earthquake, has the image of the ground moving like waves burnt into her memory.

mem

Post by mem » Fri May 22, 2020 3:44 pm

alextrombone wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:40 pm
My wife’s aunt, who was a child during the earthquake, has the image of the ground moving like waves burnt into her memory.
I have never seen that in real life, but oddly enough I have seen the ground moving like ocean waves from end of a long suburban street to the other end in a dream. I was very surprised to later learn that is a legit phenomenon called liquefaction and it just totally destroys cement, ground pipes, cars, buildings, etc during major EQ's.

Definitely do not want to experience liquefaction in real life

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri May 22, 2020 3:57 pm

The two areas that need to release at a 9 or 9+ R manner are the far north and offshore Valpo. The tidal waves generated by an offshore Valpo megaquake event because of geophysics would be much larger than 2010.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:56 pm

Earthquake victims, Valdivia 1960.
It was quite common for the children of the poor to go barefoot in those days.
Wasn't so long ago either. That's real desigualdad.
Damnificados por terremoto en la ciudad de Valdivia, año 1960.jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge