Lawsuit threat under COVID

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

nikotromus

Lawsuit threat under COVID

Post by nikotromus » Fri May 01, 2020 2:12 pm

I am currently in the United States. An expat in Chile is threatening to sue me. Honestly at this point I think there's no other course but to go to court as agreements and talks have completely broken down.

Here are my questions:
1. How do I defend myself from a lawsuit from afar? Even if I wanted to travel to Chile, it is pretty much impossible with the COVID travel restrictions.
2. I believe I have a good case against the plaintiff. How do I go about counter suing once he files his lawsuit?
3. The squabble in question has to do with building materials. The total amount in question is probably less than $10,000. Is this likely a small claims court type of lawsuit that will be filed against me like in the USA?

Thanks in advance. I've never been involved in any sort of lawsuits in the United States let alone Chile, so my knowledge in these areas is pretty low. It's pretty much an expat nightmare that I am dealing with, but, welcome to Chile...

admin
Site Admin

Re: Lawsuit threat under COVID

Post by admin » Fri May 01, 2020 3:12 pm

Ahhhhh, yea that is 'how long is a piece of string' sort of conversation that would require you to provide way more details than I am going to allow in this public forum (for everyone's protection).

and is particularly hypothetical given that most of the courts are closed right now.

That said, law suits can be done by power of attorney. You don't need to be here.

FYI, very rare any lawsuit is going to cost you less than $10,000, and collection of attorney fees and expenses are very limited in Chile, even if you win.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nikotromus

Re: Lawsuit threat under COVID

Post by nikotromus » Fri May 01, 2020 3:15 pm

Nah. Not going to bore anyone with details. I basically need to lawyer up, which is what I figured in the first place. It will have to be done through power of attorney.

Thanks for the advice.