Leaving the USA

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

JohnPaul

Leaving the USA

Post by JohnPaul » Fri May 01, 2020 10:09 am

Hallo I am wanting to leave the USA, but I’m unable to get ahold of the Chile consulate, what steps do I need to get done to move to Chile.
Thanks for any help

alextrombone

Re: Leaving the USA

Post by alextrombone » Fri May 01, 2020 12:02 pm

The search bar is most definitely your friend in this forum. I’d also recommend the extranjeria website.

You’ll need to do some research into what Visa is most appropriate for your situation.

Not sure it’s the best time to up sticks right now to be honest. Chilean bureaucracy is working slower than it usually does due to what’s going on.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 01, 2020 1:23 pm

JohnPaul wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:09 am
Hallo I am wanting to leave the USA, but I’m unable to get ahold of the Chile consulate, what steps do I need to get done to move to Chile.
Thanks for any help
You can not right now, and will not be able to move until after the travel restrictions are lifted.

The only way to apply for residency right now, is from inside the country, which means people that were here before they closed the boarder.

They have suspended all immigration visa aplications at the chilean consulate around the world (most are not working at all, or only emergency citizen services).

Without at least an already granted temporary residency, you would not be allowed in the country at the moment. In fact, what few flights are left to Chile, will not even let you on the plane without proof of residency or citizenship.

That said, watch the forum for news on the boarder opening. I suspect there will be a "soft opening" at some point in the next few months, probably with a 14 day quarantine for all arrivals.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Mon May 04, 2020 12:36 pm

admin wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:23 pm

That said, watch the forum for news on the boarder opening. I suspect there will be a "soft opening" at some point in the next few months, probably with a 14 day quarantine for all arrivals.
Wow that just speaks volumes! I'd find it incredulous and hard to believe but that's probably the truth. There are a lot of things that I would have considered impossible to believe that have come to fruition over this pandemic.

I'm stuck in limbo. We had our plans set up in January to head out for a trip to South America. We had planned for a week in each country during the month of August. I had planned to buy the tickets in May. I'm not buying tickets....because the one thing I needed to do was renew passports for the kids. I did that in early March. I didn't imagine that they would effectively shut down passport processing. I watched the message on the State Department webpage change from significant delays to significant delays of several months.

If you don't already have a passport in hand, you ain't leaving the US any time soon even if you can find a country that will take you.

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Tue May 05, 2020 12:01 am

You don't write like an American. You should first return to your home country and try from there. Might be less complicated.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 05, 2020 7:17 am

Ripsigg wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:36 pm
admin wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:23 pm

Wow that just speaks volumes! I'd find it incredulous and hard to believe but that's probably the truth. There are a lot of things that I would have considered impossible to believe that have come to fruition over this pandemic.

I'm stuck in limbo. We had our plans set up in January to head out for a trip to South America. We had planned for a week in each country during the month of August. I had planned to buy the tickets in May. I'm not buying tickets....because the one thing I needed to do was renew passports for the kids. I did that in early March. I didn't imagine that they would effectively shut down passport processing. I watched the message on the State Department webpage change from significant delays to significant delays of several months.

If you don't already have a passport in hand, you ain't leaving the US any time soon even if you can find a country that will take you.
ohh, I think that south america tour is over.

my wife and I did the drive down the panamerican highway to Ushuaia Argentina last year, and I am soooo glad we did it when we did. I had been on my way for 30+ years. we were crossing the boarder up to 4 times a day between Argentina and Chile. I don't see that being possible again for years to come. At least not with the speed and ease that we did it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.