Sending USD from Chile to the US (cheapest way?)

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
Duc

Sending USD from Chile to the US (cheapest way?)

Post by Duc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:27 pm

Hello guys,

I am trying to figure out how to send USD to the US to my us bank account from a relative's account in Chile in Pesos.

Due to corona virus, I am not about to ask the elderly relatives to go to a bank branch to buy USD and then do the swift. So my goal is to do this without exposing them to a branch and driving around etc.

One of the banks is Santander, another is Scotia Bank and Banco de CHile.

They don't have a bank account in USD either. Even if they did they would have to go make a deposit in USD they previously bought at cheaper prices and or could they just buy at bank's exchange rate with their Chilean pesos account to deposit into their USD account and then do a swift transfer from their online account without having to go into a branch?

Also, that is the cheapest way I know.

But, I was thinking whether there are other ways that I am not considering or on my radar. Paypal is too expensive to receive although it can be tied to a credit card in chile with USD available credit. When I tried this to see the fee paypal would take, it ended up being close to 7% which is a lot.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: Sending USD from Chile to the US (cheapest way?)

Post by admin » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm

Santander can issues a corporate U.S. bank counter check, that can be deposited in a u.s. account.

but, of course, being Santander you probably have to go in person and do a bunch of pointless paperwork so a bunch of pointless employees, can pretend to justify the existence of their pointless job. :lol: :roll:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

passport

Post by passport » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:46 pm

passport

Post by passport » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:48 pm

Hmm maybe you can send money TO Chile from a select few countries but not FROM Chile to those countries..

Duc

Post by Duc » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:23 pm

I can't understand how a swift can't be made through online banking yet.