Cobertura Parcial vs Cobertura Total on F22 income declaration

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

Cobertura Parcial vs Cobertura Total on F22 income declaration

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:59 pm

I'm working on my income declaration (F22) in SII.cl, and it's giving me an option for COBERTURA PARCIAL (17%) or COBERTURA TOTAL (100%). Does anyone here know what the difference between the two is, for healthcare benefits? I think if you pay 17%, you only get 17% of the total benefits for some things. But you still get 100% for other things. I'm not really sure what I'd lose, if I go with parcial (17%), if I have FONASA D. I'm not even sure what I have now:)

There's an FAQ page here that seems to talk about it, but there's a lot of stuff I'm not very familiar with:
https://www.previsionsocial.gob.cl/sps/ ... recuentes/
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

GAminer

Re: Cobertura Parcial vs Cobertura Total on F22 income declaration

Post by GAminer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:15 pm

I chose the one that gave me a larger tax return.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:20 pm

GAminer wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:15 pm
That's what I want to do, if it doesn't affect my basic healthcare coverage. The AFP is worse than useless for me, so opting for less of that's a no-brainer.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:16 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:20 pm
GAminer wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:15 pm
That's what I want to do, if it doesn't affect my basic healthcare coverage. The AFP is worse than useless for me, so opting for less of that's a no-brainer.
In my case I have ISAPRE so I did not want to pay for healthcare twice.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:34 am

I ran the simulations at this site, and compared the results for partial and total coverage:
https://www.leyhonorarios.cl/

And if "licencia médica" is like "paid sick leave", then the main difference I could see for my healthcare benefits, is the amount I could get paid during sick leave. There might be some other important differences, depending on your own situation. But in my case, that seems to be the main thing. If I'm wrong about "licencia médica", then I still have no idea.

I didn't see anything yet that reduces the amount of coverage for healthcare costs (hospitalization, etc.), other than the amount of sick pay. But I could be wrong.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:43 am

Yeah I just faced this dilemma (a week or 2 ago) and I decided to go with the partial coverage.......but I'm young (early 30s) and don't have any health conditions. I would consider the health care to be the biggest benefit of choosing the full coverage (and getting less money back this year). I figure if I have some health issue then it will cost me but right now I definitely need the $$$ since I currently only have sporadic income from my "side job" and lost my official job thanks to this virus BS (also I have an insurance policy to give me cash in case of a hospitalization). In a few years from now we won't have this choice anyway so might as well get some cash back from a year's "boletas" while it's still possible......at that point in the future maybe I will value the health coverage more.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:05 pm

I don't know if you gain anything from total coverage, if you already have insurance that includes paid sick leave. And if you're from the US, you could lose some social security benefits by having an AFP, because of the Windfall Elimination Provision.