Buying a Car - Paperwork

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Buying a Car - Paperwork

Post by Britkid » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:29 pm

I am thinking about going to see a second hand car tomorrow afternoon (Friday). I asked about the process if I buy it, because I checked and the Registro Civil is not doing the car registration work at the moment. I thought we might need to do something in a notary.

But when I called the company selling the car, they said the process would be handled at their office. I would have to pay in full first, and only receive the padron at some point later on. No third party involved.

Does that seem normal? I remember buying a car from a private seller and doing everything at the Registro Civil and I didn't pay anything until I had a Padron ownership document. I checked with someone I know that works in car trade and he thinks it's normal.

Anything I need to do to make sure I don't get ripped off and ensure my ownership of the car, other than pay and trust them?

They are quite a decent sized looking company. It is the same company or sister company of Europcar, the car rental company. https://www.autotattersall.cl/ is the company. It's in Providencia, which has just come out of quarantine, and the company says their office is open.

Also, they told me it's OK to drive through quarantined zones if passing through, so I don't have to plot out a route through Santiago. I assume this is true; as long as police aren't stopping moving cars or putting up roadblocks which I think they aren't?

PS I did think about the appropriateness of going to do a non-essential purchase during the pandemic. As far as I can tell, if there have only been 100 deaths so far in Chile, the risk of me causing a death by interacting with 1-2 people, including 2 of us sitting together in a car, must be a thousand to one or a million to one, probably about the same as the risk of causing a death by a traffic accident or pollution or climate change every time anyone drives anywhere?

Jamers41

Re: Buying a Car - Paperwork

Post by Jamers41 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:44 am

Britkid wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:29 pm
I am thinking about going to see a second hand car tomorrow afternoon (Friday). I asked about the process if I buy it, because I checked and the Registro Civil is not doing the car registration work at the moment. I thought we might need to do something in a notary.

But when I called the company selling the car, they said the process would be handled at their office. I would have to pay in full first, and only receive the padron at some point later on. No third party involved.

Does that seem normal? I remember buying a car from a private seller and doing everything at the Registro Civil and I didn't pay anything until I had a Padron ownership document. I checked with someone I know that works in car trade and he thinks it's normal.

Anything I need to do to make sure I don't get ripped off and ensure my ownership of the car, other than pay and trust them?

They are quite a decent sized looking company. It is the same company or sister company of Europcar, the car rental company. https://www.autotattersall.cl/ is the company. It's in Providencia, which has just come out of quarantine, and the company says their office is open.

Also, they told me it's OK to drive through quarantined zones if passing through, so I don't have to plot out a route through Santiago. I assume this is true; as long as police aren't stopping moving cars or putting up roadblocks which I think they aren't?

PS I did think about the appropriateness of going to do a non-essential purchase during the pandemic. As far as I can tell, if there have only been 100 deaths so far in Chile, the risk of me causing a death by interacting with 1-2 people, including 2 of us sitting together in a car, must be a thousand to one or a million to one, probably about the same as the risk of causing a death by a traffic accident or pollution or climate change every time anyone drives anywhere?
I am not an expert at all but when I bought our vehicle I remember going to the Civil Registry and understanding that basically if you go to a notary and pay them instead, you're paying them to go get the "padrón" from the Civil Registry for you......it sounds weird to me. I suppose with a large company it's highly unlikely that someone else would show up to dispute the ownership of a car you just bought.........even so I personally would think twice about making such a large purchase on those terms, I have always understood that the Civil Registry is the only institution that can issue the padrón title card because it's their vehicle registry. Maybe at least demand more specific details about when they would provide the padrón? Now that I think of it, when I bought our car the seller also gave me the padrón with his name that day (at least that way there's no other title card with that vehicle's info floating around out there).

Also I would try to avoid quarantine zones......I'm sure any business under these circumstances would say the same thing, they want to make a sale, but they are not an authority, if you get stopped saying "well so and so said it was OK just to transit through here" is obviously not a legal defense. I have heard of people saying that enforcement is too light and that there aren't that many check points, but the punishments are not light if you get stopped without a valid reason to be in that area.

Also many municipalities have passed ordinances lately saying that everyone must wear a mask when inside any building within their city limits, just another heads up.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:09 pm

Thanks for that. OK, maybe I'll try and plot a route into Providencia that doesn't go through quarantined other provinces.

It would be nice to know what the rules are exactly. You seem to have to pick them up from watching TV and talking to people and so on. It would be nice if all the rules were laid out and written down on a website.

So far I've only seen clearly laid out rules for quarantined zones and the question of entering the country, but not what about the general rules for non-quarantined zones.

Can I go and meet my friend at his house half a mile away and have a beer with him if we both live alone and neither or us is unwell? Can you go out for a 15 mile cycle ride for exercise if I'm confident I can do this without coming within 2 metres of someone? Is it wrong to go into a shop just to buy one chocolate bar I fancied, if I can see it isn't busy in there? It seems that this is left to the common sense and decision of the individual in many cases at the moment.

It looks like the number of cases in Chile is not exploding like in Europe and US and the conversations about re opening school and malls and restaurants might start to advance a bit more by next week if the rate of increase of cases starts to look like it might level off. In which case, I suppose the things i mentioned above are fine.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:30 pm

I bought 4 cars through dealers - they have always handled all paperwork, but they charge you for it (try to negotiate it as a part of the price). I think that some of the purchases, I only paid a part up front (say 1 million) and the rest when the paperwork is ready. Tattersall is very trustworthy, I would say. So unless they go bankcrupt in the days from your payment and until the transfer is ready, there should not be a problem. And even then, you should still be OK.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Thank you - that's definitely helpful!

But presumably if you pay only 1 million up front, you can't drive away with the car until the paperwork's done and then come back and pay. Presumably if I give all the money they would agree to give me the keys and drive off the car, even though the paperwork might be deferred until later.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:39 pm

Correct. To drive off with the car, you would need to pay full amount

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:31 pm

Britkid wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:09 pm
Thanks for that. OK, maybe I'll try and plot a route into Providencia that doesn't go through quarantined other provinces.

It would be nice to know what the rules are exactly. You seem to have to pick them up from watching TV and talking to people and so on. It would be nice if all the rules were laid out and written down on a website.

So far I've only seen clearly laid out rules for quarantined zones and the question of entering the country, but not what about the general rules for non-quarantined zones.

Can I go and meet my friend at his house half a mile away and have a beer with him if we both live alone and neither or us is unwell? Can you go out for a 15 mile cycle ride for exercise if I'm confident I can do this without coming within 2 metres of someone? Is it wrong to go into a shop just to buy one chocolate bar I fancied, if I can see it isn't busy in there? It seems that this is left to the common sense and decision of the individual in many cases at the moment.

It looks like the number of cases in Chile is not exploding like in Europe and US and the conversations about re opening school and malls and restaurants might start to advance a bit more by next week if the rate of increase of cases starts to look like it might level off. In which case, I suppose the things i mentioned above are fine.
Yeah that's kind of another topic.......and what might appear to be common sense to you and me, well, that might not occur to your average Juanito Pérez here......hence the State has to tell us since we're not smart enough to figure it out (and unfortunately there are a few who are definitely not).

On topic with getting to Providencia, right now it's only the northern half of Santiago Centro and the northern half of Ñuñoa that's under quarantine (not including a few other zones that are farther away), so it should not be that hard to go around........I would think that you could just go along Vespucio Oriente........you would pass by the edge of Ñuñoa for a small stretch and then that's it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:21 pm

This is the mess we are facing right now.

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... iago.shtml

all that 16th century chilean beucracy is coming home to roost.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:56 pm

So I drove along Vespucio Sur to the end and took a left on Tobalaba passing along the edge of Nunoa as you say.

So the car seller says if I have in my Banco de Chile account in credit the value of the car (will be around 12 million) then Banco de Chile won't let me send one electronic transfer for that amount (max is 5 million for one transfer, according to vendor) but I can go into the bank in person with my check book and the details of the car company's Banco de Chile account and arrange a single transfer for the car value (I might perhaps have car vendor come with me so they can verify then and there that they have received it).

Does that sound right to everyone? I will call Banco de Chile on Monday to confirm this. I couldn't find relevant info online.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:28 pm

Max transfer is 5 million in my banks as well. Note that first transfer to a new recipient is like 250k or something. Pay with credit card? Or call the bank and see if they can remove the limit for that particular transfer.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:35 pm

Will do a very detailed write up with the intent that this will help someone in the future who does a search in google or on this forum when they need to buy a car.

The car was at 12.9 million asking price online; the car had an old sticker on it asking for 14.9 million, so 12.9 was already way lower than what they were trying to get a while ago. I asked about discount and he said 12.5 so I offered 12.0. He asked did the offer include the gastos de transferencia of about 280,000 (0.28 million) so I said I would offer 11.9+gastos, which was accepted. I guess in this economy people don't have money to buy cars or don't want to pay depreciation and insurance and tax to have the car sat on the drive most of the time given this semi lockdown of COVID-19, so the prices have got to be lower to account for that.

I sent the first 100,000 as a deposit to reserve the car days in advance of paying the rest. This has the benefit that once they have confirmed that the first smaller transfer has gone through you have more confidence about sending the rest to the exact same details, and also it may be needed to send a smaller amount as the first transfer to a new company, so the bank doesn't block the larger transfer later.

Cheque book was not needed. The bank reccomended I use vale vista approach, which they said would be most secure for me but the car company said no to that, so I didn't do it. The car company, in their office, gave me a paper with their bank details and I took that to the bank and the bank gave me another paper to fill in my own details (ideally I would have filled it in before approaching the counter), and do the transfer. So I gave these papers to the bank and they had me wait to the side for 10-20 minutes and called me when the transfer was done to their account. Both me and the car company have Banco de Chile, that is good, because you avoid the possibility of two banks blaming each other and saying neither has the money.

The security on the transfer was my cedula (RUT card) being shown (with photo), and my fingerprint. I was pleased about the fingerprint, because I wouldn't want to think anyone that knew my current account number could steal my cedula and go into the bank and pretend to be me and steal all my money.

To some extent, I had to trust the company, Autos Tattersall, however overall it felt lowish risk being a bigger company and comment above that they were trustworthy. If it had been a smaller outfit or a private seller, I wouldn't have sent the transfer without having either keys or padron in my hand; I would have had to find another way. (When I bought a car from a private individual in 2015, I went to the Registro Civil with him and didn't give any money until the padron in my name and the car keys were in my hand.)

Banco de Chile gave me a receipt/proof of payment (comprobante) showing me the name of the bank account and the name of the company and a stamp, which is a good proof that I paid. I asked, and the bank said I could keep this rather than handing it over, as this was mine, but the car company, when I went back to the office, asked for it, so I said they could have it if they gave me a photocopy.

Having a current account made this easier, because with a Cuenta RUT with max 3 million balance, I would have to had to pay the car by getting them to charge various amounts to different credit cards (I don't have a credit card with a limit large enough for this car, but I do if I combine the limits of several cards). This would have been a mess if only say the first two had worked and the last one blocked me. In such situation, you would have handed over loads of money but still not be able to get away with the car and have to trust them even more until you come back perhaps a day later or an hour later having called the back to sort it out. Also, he explained that they would discount a little less if I paid with credit card, because the credit card company charges them 2%. On the other hand, if you pay with credit cards, you are possibly more covered if you get ripped off.

So I've got the car, but they said the padron would arrive in the post after 2 months, which is longer than I thought.

The TAG (only used for Santiago motorways and the tunnel to Vina del Mar) they said was already in the vehicle and that for 7 days they would pay any charges while it was transferred to me and after that I can just put my RUT in and pay. They made me sign something saying I would take over the TAG/televia. Sounds pretty easy. They explained transferring the existing TAG was something you do when buying from a car company like this (automotora). (However in private sales it's different. When you sell your car, you should definately not leave your TAG in there. Take it out and sell the car without TAG and leave it to the new owner to get a new one.)

They also made me sign a liability statement saying that starting from now I take responsibility for liabilities including fines and accidents, which I read, and it seemed very fair.

So far I would reccomend the company, however in the unlikely event that there are problems later (e.g. I don't have the padron in 2 months as they promised, or the cars turns out to have a major failing) I will try and remember to update this thread.