Finding home in Chile

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
LaFamosaGringa

Finding home in Chile

Post by LaFamosaGringa » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:29 pm

Hello all,

Just signed up after having been a silent reader for quite a while. Hope I'm not making a breach in protocol by posting here straightaway like this. I'll try to make this short and to-the-point, here goes:

I have heard that there are places called "fundos" in southern Chile, where large groups of americans/gringos buy land together and form communities. I have a friend who is interested in moving to the Los Ríos, Los Lagos, or Araucanía region, and was hoping to meet up with lots of english-speakers so as to soften her transition to living in a foreign country. I'd love to have as much information as possible about any places like this, and as soon as the pandemic thing clears up I want to make some sight-seeing trips to gather more data for my friend. She is very interested but it will be easier for me to do some footwork for her since I'm already "on the ground" here in southern Chile.

Saludos to all :D

La Gringa
‘Will the man in the street ever feel that freedom of the mind is as important and as much in need of being defended as his daily bread?’ --George Orwell

admin
Site Admin

Re: Finding home in Chile

Post by admin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:22 pm

first, both in terms of discussion on this forum (as I will ban you instantly) and for investment, stay away from any land development with the word "gault" attached to it in Chile.

second, "fundo" is just a marketing giminc some gringos like to use to sell land. It means nothing. a "fundo" is just big piece of agro property, traditionally owned by one family.

so, don't buy the above mentioned hype. land is just land. You either own it, or you do not. Thus, watch out for any "copperative" schemes that does not give you a full legal title.

That said, there are lots of projects and developments south of the bio bio river. I recommend you go at least further south than the 9th region.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

LaFamosaGringa

Post by LaFamosaGringa » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:39 am

Thanks for the advice. So far as that first item, a local taxi-driver friend of mine actually gave me similar advice yesterday. Besides that the only thing I've seen is a few 2x4s thrown together and a lot of hype.

I've spent my years in Chile networking and integrating with Chilenos, so I know very little about gringo communities or the schemes that get thrown around. Thanks for clearing things up.

Just out of curiosity, why do you recommend going further south than Araucanía? I've spend some time in Villarrica-Pucon and enjoyed it (Villarrica more so, Pucon had too many noisy foreigners).
‘Will the man in the street ever feel that freedom of the mind is as important and as much in need of being defended as his daily bread?’ --George Orwell

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:00 pm

LaFamosaGringa wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:39 am
Thanks for the advice. So far as that first item, a local taxi-driver friend of mine actually gave me similar advice yesterday. Besides that the only thing I've seen is a few 2x4s thrown together and a lot of hype.

I've spent my years in Chile networking and integrating with Chilenos, so I know very little about gringo communities or the schemes that get thrown around. Thanks for clearing things up.

Just out of curiosity, why do you recommend going further south than Araucanía? I've spend some time in Villarrica-Pucon and enjoyed it (Villarrica more so, Pucon had too many noisy foreigners).
the 9th region has, and probably always will have, massive social / political economic issues. mapuche, poverty, fast growing population relative to the infrastructure.

pucon amd villarica are low to middle class vacation towns for the poorest of Santiago. when those groups get smacked economically, so does the real estate market. Pucon has for very long time had a drug trafficking problem, exactly because it is where the kids from poor and middle class nieghborhood go to party. that has brought the socioeconomic problems with them.

It has for decades attracted scammers, criminals, and the shadiest of shady real estate agents from Santiago and other places. very shark infested waters. They can smell a fresh gringo flopping around in the water.

That is all before we get to the downtown being a volcanic red zone.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

LaFamosaGringa

Post by LaFamosaGringa » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:45 pm

All excellent info, thanks. I've always avoided Temuco for similar reasons, but had no idea that Pucon has such a dark side. It's easy to believe though, when the Santiaguinos arrive here in the XIV region we stock up on groceries and stay in the house--they turn our normally safe, quiet city streets into an absolute mess.

Again, thank you for your time and suggestions.

I am now planning an exploratory trip through my region and los lagos, anybody who wants to meet up after travel restrictions let up, I'd love to know ya.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:46 pm

LaFamosaGringa wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:45 pm
All excellent info, thanks. I've always avoided Temuco for similar reasons, but had no idea that Pucon has such a dark side. It's easy to believe though, when the Santiaguinos arrive here in the XIV region we stock up on groceries and stay in the house--they turn our normally safe, quiet city streets into an absolute mess.

Again, thank you for your time and suggestions.

I am now planning an exploratory trip through my region and los lagos, anybody who wants to meet up after travel restrictions let up, I'd love to know ya.
Hi there, come round and see us if you are in Los Lagos region when its possible. 13.5 km (10min) from Llanquihue township on the paved V40 (according to Google) or V400 on the signs in the road.

We used to be dairy farmers here, saw that was a way to loose a lot of money fast, and wasn't covering our mortgages. So we decided to subdivide and sell smaller plots of land , a loteo.

We are not gringo focused but due to the fact I am from NZ , we have attracted a few gringos from half a dozen different countries. Most of our buyers have been Chilean, actually its probably a 70 30 split Chileans vs Gringos, and of the Chileans probably 60 40 split being from Santiago and those from within an hour of here.

We are far enough but close enough to services, and have awesome views and rural feel. I've always thought living somewhere is not just about the views, you cant eat a view . This is not the town transplanted into the country, it's still the country side and our ideas are to produce a lot of food and have a sense of community , and learn from the locals. In saying all that however, each lot has underground electricity to it and our own certified water supply to it , there is also very good internet through the local wireless provider. 4G in some spots .

I've recently discovered the concept of Agrihood, I want to take it further. We like to buy locally and support the local economy, Llanquihue for services and bigger materials and Loncotoro for groceries . We have also done a few community projects and are aware of building good local networks and relationships .

If I could choose the type of people we would like to purchase lots of land off us (the title is 100 percent yours, minimum lots are 5000sqm) they are basically just everyday people. Ideally they must also have a sense of community, have common sense, be honest and are self aware and hopefully willing to share skills or experiences.

I'm fairly relaxed and have done deals to reserve a property on handshake and deposit before, people seem to trust me so that's nice, we are not going anywhere because we actually live here, we are not a sales office in Las Condes.

We have a great legal team to prepare the sales and purchase paperwork and to get the title transfers done taking care every step of the way to protect everyone with an English speaking lawyer.
I have met some fantastic people so far and am really enjoying the ride and am thankful everyday, I would like to think what we are doing is different to anything else I've seen so far in Chile. Of course we have had copycats and even a spy sent :lol: (you get that in life) but just have to rise above that and keep coming up with new ideas and things to do to keep it interesting.

This invitation is open to anyone, in the meantime if you want to have a look at our website ( it's a work progress) or Instagram, you can find us under Loncotorolivin

Take care everyone, stay home for now , and if you want to make this your home in the future and be a part of something unique, we can arrange that.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

LaFamosaGringa

Post by LaFamosaGringa » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:44 am

Hi there, come round and see us if you are in Los Lagos region when its possible. 13.5 km (10min) from Llanquihue township on the paved V40 (according to Google) or V400 on the signs in the road.
Thanks, I will absolutely take you up on that offer. Your place honestly sounds fantastic--I am always thrilled to hear about gringos supporting the local economy and really integrating with the culture. That is what my husband and I have done, albeit independently and with lots of bumps and scrapes along the way. Maybe when we visit I'll convince you to elaborate on your stories about copycats and spies.  :lol:

Congratulations on your loteo and what sounds like a beautiful little community. Hopefully restrictions will begin to lift soon and we can make a trip down there. I'm looking forward to it.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42 am

41southchile wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:46 pm
Of course we have had copycats and even a spy sent :lol: (you get that in life) but just have to rise above that and keep coming up with new ideas and things to do to keep it interesting.
Any promising new venture here will attract spies and copycats. Sometimes they set up next door to piggyback off your success if they can, that happened to us. But they did it half-assed, so no competition, really.

Good to hear you are making a go of things.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:03 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42 am
41southchile wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:46 pm
Of course we have had copycats and even a spy sent :lol: (you get that in life) but just have to rise above that and keep coming up with new ideas and things to do to keep it interesting.
Any promising new venture here will attract spies and copycats. Sometimes they set up next door to piggyback off your success if they can, that happened to us. But they did it half-assed, so no competition, really.

Good to hear you are making a go of things.
Thanks for the comment. Yes I've seen a lot of imitators/copiers here, with shops in Puerto Varas too, I've seen it a bit, but you right generally their unoriginality makes it half ass.
The guy that's copying us is a lawyer from Puerto Montt that I went to meet through an acquaintance who thought could help with tax matters, that was a couple of years ago, we went to his office and I naively told him what we were doing . Found out a few months ago he went in with a partner from Santiago and they bought a farm and are planning to subdivide and copy what we are doing, he even told his manager to find out what we are doing and copy it. It's not a large region everyone knows everyone, it's easy to piece things together.
He might have money but has no originality and can do what he likes as far as I am concerned, I think people like that are known as chanta in Chile.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:36 pm

LaFamosaGringa wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:44 am
Thanks, I will absolutely take you up on that offer. Your place honestly sounds fantastic--I am always thrilled to hear about gringos supporting the local economy and really integrating with the culture. That is what my husband and I have done, albeit independently and with lots of bumps and scrapes along the way. Maybe when we visit I'll convince you to elaborate on your stories about copycats and spies.  :lol:

Congratulations on your loteo and what sounds like a beautiful little community. Hopefully restrictions will begin to lift soon and we can make a trip down there. I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks for the comments, look forward to seeing you when we can move around again and go places, and the worst of this has passed.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri May 01, 2020 11:53 am

Anyone that has built in Chile? Is it possible to build a 50 sqm house for 10 million pesos do you think? While still having good insulation ? It wouldn't have to be a forever house and would be replaced after 7 to 10 years . My neighbor is building a 50 sqm house and that's what he reckons it will cost all up. I've seen pre fabs between 5 and 12 million for same size. Just wondering, exploring some options . I've talked to people that say impossible for less than 20 million but others reckon 10, all depends on materials I guess and maestros.

alextrombone

Post by alextrombone » Fri May 01, 2020 11:58 am

My in-laws are building a pre fab 4 bedroom house for around 10 million. Not quite sure of the measurements but it certainly looks enough space.