Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
Post Reply
User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Post by KDnR » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:50 am

The bubble always pops. I don't care what is used to justify "why", it is engineered and people who are planning moves like that know what they are doing. And all will get their explanation, real players will not be blamed.

Like in all bubbles losers will be punished. Just not long ago people started to buy stocks like crazy, near 30 000 DOW. How stupid one must be to do it? Don't they read any history books?

Seems like my portfolio is about to get around 45% boost today... It was all so obvious. Planning to get out today in the midst of the bloodshed.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 20977
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Post by admin » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:58 am

Don't grab that falling knife yet. There is a potential 30% more to go down.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Post by KDnR » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:11 am

admin wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:58 am
Don't grab that falling knife yet. There is a potential 30% more to go down.
No way. I will not touch it. I hope for a good bounce and will short again. This is far from over. It is the greatest depression in the making and its a shame to have such a crisis go to waste

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1593
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Post by 41southchile » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:25 am

Expect commentators over the last few weeks.
3 weeks ago- Dont panic this will be over quickly
2 weeks ago-check your investments, all will be ok in the long run
1 week ago- you may want to adjust some of your investments and look at risks and opportunities.
Today-sell sell, sell it all now.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 889
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am

Re: Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 am

S&P500 down 7.1%. We may hit a second circuit breaker today, if indexes fall by more than 13% by 3.25 pm EST, and all trades will close altogether if it falls by more than 20%.

Fun times.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Post by KDnR » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:37 am

41southchile wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:25 am
Expect commentators over the last few weeks.
3 weeks ago- Dont panic this will be over quickly
2 weeks ago-check your investments, all will be ok in the long run
1 week ago- you may want to adjust some of your investments and look at risks and opportunities.
Today-sell sell, sell it all now.
Typical mantra. Many will wake up to margin calls, sharp sell-off... Then fake recovery and drop later again

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Post by KDnR » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:38 am

DOW is -2201

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 20977
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Post by admin » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:18 am

o.k., I could not resist. I grabbed the falling knife.

Waded in to the bloodiest part of the market, MLPs, and with a leveraged MLP ETN at that.

Set a limit order before the open at 6.80, which was like 45% down from last friday. A few weeks ago it was at 30+ a share. It executed at open, just before the market freeze kicked in, at 5,80.

Never seen a spread like that on a limit order.

At 7.30 now. I might cash out before the end of the day, although the dividend at the price I got it is well over 40%. so, kind of hard to not just hang-on, roll the dice, and wait for some sort of recovery on that. I will probably get burned, but not my first rodeo in the MLP sector.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Post by KDnR » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:26 am

admin wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:18 am
o.k., I could not resist. I grabbed the falling knife.

Waded in to the bloodiest part of the market, MLPs, and with a leveraged MLP ETN at that.

Set a limit order before the open at 6.80, which was like 45% down from last friday. A few weeks ago it was at 30+ a share. It executed at open, just before the market freeze kicked in, at 5,80.

Never seen a spread like that on a limit order.

At 7.30 now. I might cash out before the end of the day, although the dividend at the price I got it is well over 40%. so, kind of hard to not just hang-on, roll the dice, and wait for some sort of recovery on that. I will probably get burned, but not my first rodeo in the MLP sector.

Just collect now

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 20977
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Post by admin » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:49 pm

KDnR wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:26 am
admin wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:18 am
o.k., I could not resist. I grabbed the falling knife.

Waded in to the bloodiest part of the market, MLPs, and with a leveraged MLP ETN at that.

Set a limit order before the open at 6.80, which was like 45% down from last friday. A few weeks ago it was at 30+ a share. It executed at open, just before the market freeze kicked in, at 5,80.

Never seen a spread like that on a limit order.

At 7.30 now. I might cash out before the end of the day, although the dividend at the price I got it is well over 40%. so, kind of hard to not just hang-on, roll the dice, and wait for some sort of recovery on that. I will probably get burned, but not my first rodeo in the MLP sector.

Just collect now
naaaaa, that is no fun.

:lol:

and finally had a moment to calculate the current dividend. It is over 60% .
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 20977
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Post by admin » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:12 pm

actually there is a method to my madness. I did this back in 2015 / 2016 when the price of oil dropped to 20. made a pile of money in a very short while.

It is what I call the "bathtub and garden hose" strategy.

The MPLs, oil pipelines and storage facilities, always sell off with the price of oil, like they were just another bunch of high levered high debt oil producers.

however, when the price of oil drops, everyone starts pumping way more oil to makeup for their lost price. Thus, there will be so much oil being pumped and stored, everyone will need to get out their garden hoses and fill their bathtubs to hold it all.

The pipeline and storage guys get paid no matter what, and very rarely do you ever hear of one going bankrupt because when they get in trouble, someone always buys them out first. The assets are too valuable. pipelines are nearly impossible to get approvals for new ones now. Their contracts are fixed.

because they have a Master limited partner structure, by law they have to pay out their profits to the partners (a.k.a shareholders). thus, they pay rediculas high dividends, and it is very hard for them to cut a dividend.

someone is going to scream uncle on these oil prices, sooner rather than later. there will Chinese stimulus. putin will reach an agreement with the opec. u.s congress will pony up some real stimulus. someone will bail someone out. In any case, the MLP, even without leverage, always recover far faster than the oil companies on anticipation of higher oil prices.

so my downside is very small. my upside is at least 150%, if it just recovers to last weeks price. never mind earlier this year. if not, I can sit on a 60% dividend for as long as it takes.

In the mean time, they say the cure for low oil prices, is low oil prices. It is a form of economic stimulus in intself. cheap energy, will probably do a better job of bailing out the global economy than the central banks.

so, it is a sort of contrarian contrarian bet.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Market crash! We have another Black Monday

Post by KDnR » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:56 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:12 pm
actually there is a method to my madness. I did this back in 2015 / 2016 when the price of oil dropped to 20. made a pile of money in a very short while.

It is what I call the "bathtub and garden hose" strategy.

The MPLs, oil pipelines and storage facilities, always sell off with the price of oil, like they were just another bunch of high levered high debt oil producers.

however, when the price of oil drops, everyone starts pumping way more oil to makeup for their lost price. Thus, there will be so much oil being pumped and stored, everyone will need to get out their garden hoses and fill their bathtubs to hold it all.

The pipeline and storage guys get paid no matter what, and very rarely do you ever hear of one going bankrupt because when they get in trouble, someone always buys them out first. The assets are too valuable. pipelines are nearly impossible to get approvals for new ones now. Their contracts are fixed.

because they have a Master limited partner structure, by law they have to pay out their profits to the partners (a.k.a shareholders). thus, they pay rediculas high dividends, and it is very hard for them to cut a dividend.

someone is going to scream uncle on these oil prices, sooner rather than later. there will Chinese stimulus. putin will reach an agreement with the opec. u.s congress will pony up some real stimulus. someone will bail someone out. In any case, the MLP, even without leverage, always recover far faster than the oil companies on anticipation of higher oil prices.

so my downside is very small. my upside is at least 150%, if it just recovers to last weeks price. never mind earlier this year. if not, I can sit on a 60% dividend for as long as it takes.

In the mean time, they say the cure for low oil prices, is low oil prices. It is a form of economic stimulus in intself. cheap energy, will probably do a better job of bailing out the global economy than the central banks.

so, it is a sort of contrarian contrarian bet.
Good move, glad you know what you doing. In markets, most people don't.

Post Reply