Don't be scared, be prepared.

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

FrankPintor

Re: Don't be scared, be prepared.

Post by FrankPintor » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:49 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:24 pm
so funny story.

our housekeeper has been working for us for about 6 or 7 years. 3 days a week, part time. It is just my wife and me.

we had told her that as soon as we have a confirmed case in frutillar, she could stay home. we would keep on paying her. she is in her late 50's. we did not want her circulating around town in colectivos and such, just to come to our house. she was over due for a vacation anyway.

well, we got to talking about how her and her family was. she said, "fine, except my husband has a cold".

Her husband is the gardener for a good friend of ours on the otherside of town.

My wife and I realized what happened immediately.

my wife had a cold a month or so back. I got the cold, and got over it. I gave the cold to my friend. she gave it to her gardener. we have not seen our friend for like over a month. small town. not many degrees of separation between anyone.

I turned to my wife and said, "think it would be good time for her to take that vacation".

we told her better not to come in monday. we will survive without a housekeeper for a while.
Well, my better half (I mean that literally, she’s much nicer than me) works in a school here... Pre-school in Argentina started at the beginning of March it was a graduated program over a few days and weeks of more hours per day to encourage the horrible monsters to let go and knuckle down but hey presto after a week in that virus centrifuge she caught a cold. Nothing serious just sniffles but it’s unusual for her. And about 5 days later well I’m dealing with this shit too. No sniffles, I don’t do anything so delicate, but a lot of coughing, and In the middle of the virus. Whatever. I’m fine. I will be around to annoy forum members for a while yet. Take care, rely on yourselves, don’t depend on any government to save you.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:20 pm

went in to town today.

most stores had limits on how many people they let in at one time.

some had setup a table across the front door. you told them what you wanted. a couple employees would bring it. you checkout there. not a bad system. all transactions done in the sun outdoors, workers with gloves and masks.

one of the little stores that we go to because it is the closest to our house (like 4 km) they told us they were thinking about doing delivery. so we left our name and number with them to keep us updated if they do it.

other than that, just went for a walk with the family and dogs. going to do an asado later. my big priority at the moment is trying to keep this turning in to a traumatic event for the kids (and everyone else).

It might still turn in to that, so best to get some good times in while we can.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:29 pm

so, since this whole thing started, I have been running my 'what ifs'. my permutations and back of the napkin statistics to try and build a sort of ranking of 'what is the worst that could happen'.

I often found trying to imagine the worse case scenario, then working your way back towards the less bad and more probable, is a useful thought experiment to run. In fact my favorite.

There is saying in military strategy. Don' t plan for what your opponent will do. Plan for what your opponent COULD do.

plan to match their capabilities.

so, as I am working out my gloom and doom matrix of possibilities, I am keeping in mind their is always a whole catagory of what you could not imagine. For example, I have been to Auschwitz concentration camp, but I can not imagine that category.

so, I came up with highly probable case scenario that is at least the top of my imaginable worse case scenarios in this situation: having to tell the kids their grandmother is going away, they can't visit her, and she is probably not coming back.

It is not how to rub two sticks together to stay warm, or how to clean a deer, or how to keep guns clean. that is easy shit. In fact not even o. the radar screen as a concern.

There are no YouTube videos to help with my prepper project.

the only one that tops that nightmare, actually telling them their grandmother is not coming back or saying goodbye on facetime or something like they are doing Italy.

Tell that to an 8 and a 15 yearold, and it changes you forever. I know. I have already been there and done that with the kids for their grandfather, and at a much younger age.

In some sense we are as prepared for it as you get, as we almost lost her last year. I was just teasing her tonight that if the bug gets her, I just need to update her autopsy report. That is how her doctors affectionately refer to her medical file; because after seeing it, they could not believe there was a live woman attached to it. nooooo, bad. she has to venture out to do dialysis three times a week, or the diabetes will get her.

my age. what I have been through. bad shit happens.

somehow telling kids about bad shit is far more traumatizing to me, than simply bad shit happening to me directly. seeing it through kids eyes is far more traumatizing to me; because everyone has had that first trauma. If you are lucky, it happens when you are older.

yep, think I need to go fishing tomorrow, so I don't start going down the rabbit hole (that place everyone goes to, that they don't come back from in one piece). :shock: :lol: nothing a few trout will not fix at this point. :lol:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:16 pm

o.k., oddly I bought this out of curiosity. I know where there is gold in Chile. no interest in doing it for a living. if I hit big gold, I am going to register the rights, and sell them like everyone else that ever made money in gold. but this was just something to do when the trout were not biting for me.
20200320_220748.jpg
The family went nuts as soon as they seen it. young and old. gold fever.

the whole family is now on my case to go hunt for gold. they all watch "gold rush" on tv, in spanish and English.

The real gold in that pan, is just keeping the whole family entertained in a remote location with no people around all day.

so taking everyone on a gold hunting expedition, that just happens to involve gold in good trout streems (for me).

goes well, going to buy more. cost i think 20 u.s. entertainment, priceless

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:15 pm

I am sorry to inform everyone that things have gotten so bad I am making a batch of my Chile Crisis Chile.

Every time there is some major crisis in Chile I make up a big batch of my Texas style Chile as a means of using up a lot of the fresh ingredients around the house that will not keep.

Typically I eat Chile a few days, freeze the rest.

Really it simply is great comfort food, meanwhile it so spicy no Chilean would be able to eat it. No worries about hordes of starving people taking my Chile. :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:28 pm

I did my first batch of Chile the morning after the 8.8 earthquake. I had a whole freezer and fridge full of food, and no electricity. I was trying to think of what I could cook that would use up as many fresh ingredients as possible and also stretch out how long everything would last. Texas Chile. They use to keep a batch going for months on the cattle drives, just throwing in anything they came across.

Now anytime I see trouble on the horizon, time for Chile. earthquakes, volcanoes, social unrest, pandemics. Nothing Chile can not fix.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:25 pm

Chile will have very tough times ahead. But compared to the rest of the world it would be a minor thing.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Does anyone know of any "normal" viruses, colds, etc. that are currently going around in Chile? I'm trying to decide now, how much to panic later, if I start getting sick.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:06 pm

plenty of those going around and flue season is just setting in.

I just got over one that took about a month to shake. pretty much just a regular old cold.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:24 pm

wondered out to stock up on some basics.

a friend of ours owns a bar, and has a wholesale account. so among our friends we have been making our monthly purchase together for years. so we ordered some cases of wine.

another friend has a farm, and a bumper crop of potatoes.

All got delivered to another friend's house, and they stacked it up in their garage. stopped by and loaded up. never had to interact with anyone, beyond a wave to our friends in their house.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:32 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:06 pm
plenty of those going around and flue season is just setting in.

I just got over one that took about a month to shake. pretty much just a regular old cold.
Thanks, that helps. I don't want to freak out too much over a typical cold:)

According to what I was reading last night, you probably had 2 or 3 different cold viruses. One after the other, that just seemed like one continuous cold. I think the same thing happened to me last year.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:53 pm

Oh yes, especially in Santiasco, my wife is trapped in Santiago with two stepdaughters and two nietos and all have had bouts of colds and flu. For all I know, they already have or have had CV which will be just like the average flu for a person without a compromised immune system or other issues. Plus, all the vitamin C and other supplements and advice I passed on helped.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard