Don't be scared, be prepared.

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

KDnR

Don't be scared, be prepared.

Post by KDnR » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:55 pm

I am always looking at people, who are buying anything in a panic with some sadness. Why people can't think a bit ahead? Why they wait so long and then when others are doing something, they get triggered and do the same? And this is happening with buying or selling, it does not matter. That is why markets fall like we have seen last week. Why selling after the big drop and not a few days earlier, when it is at its peak? And in most cases, decisions made based on fear lead to losses.

The good side of that for me personally is to monetize on events like that. I look at financial markets and searching for what would trigger the next panic. Place my bets accordingly and collect on that. It was very obvious to me that travel will be affected and people will avoid airlines for some time. Who would be affected? Airlines, of course. The airline industry will be hit hard, but the big one, that will take a huge hit is the Boeing. Airlines are busy on the phone canceling orders for planes and will be thinking more about survival and not expansion.

The Boeing Company has a huge impact on the US economy, much more than people think. So many other companies are supplying parts and if Boeing gets in trouble, it will affect much more than just one company. That is the one company to watch closely if someone is in the markets. Well... that is why last week I had my bets using puts on that slide and I close my position on Friday with a nice profit.

Containers with some of the materials I am getting from China got stuck since New Year and I was in contact with a lot of op people in China, monitoring what is going on there. Almost the whole country was not working and had to stay home. You must be blind not to figure out that their PMI numbers will be bad, and many following that report. They expected a reading of 46 (drop from 50) and it came out yesterday at 35.7.It is a record lowest point, lower then in 2008 during the crash. I think even that number is false, it is much worse than that, Chinese always lie about their economy.

Will see how Chinese companies will be affected by this news tomorrow, I already placed myself accordingly last week for this week, expecting the bad report.

But here is why I am writing about all this... Watch what is going on in the world. How can someone who is not involved in the financial markets get prepared? Go to the store today and buy plenty of reserves of food and other essential things. Why wait when the panic will hit and people are emptying shelves in local stores in panic?

But you may say, we do not have any cases of the virus here in Chile. That is correct, not yet. And maybe it will not happen but it is wise to buy things today that you would use anyway later, then run with a bunch of lemmings later. That is what I am doing today, loading up in a calculated manner without any panic to have enough in case if...

41southchile

Re: Don't be scared, be prepared.

Post by 41southchile » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:38 pm

KDnR wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:55 pm

But here is why I am writing about all this... Watch what is going on in the world. How can someone who is not involved in the financial markets get prepared? Go to the store today and buy plenty of reserves of food and other essential things. Why wait when the panic will hit and people are emptying shelves in local stores in panic?

But you may say, we do not have any cases of the virus here in Chile. That is correct, not yet. And maybe it will not happen but it is wise to buy things today that you would use anyway later, then run with a bunch of lemmings later. That is what I am doing today, loading up in a calculated manner without any panic to have enough in case if...
Yeah stocking up is sensible, you dont want to be caught out in amongst all the lemmings, especially if those lemmings are infected.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:23 pm

People should have already been stocking up to prepare for Part II of the social crisis. Let's see how Superlunes starts out the month then to the end of the month with Día del Joven Delinquente. Supposedly there will be 8 marches this month in San Antonio starting from the 2nd.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:50 pm

I always have a bit of food stocked for earthquakes. Added a bit more over the last few weeks to tide me over if I need to hunker down. I am in a higher risk group so am cautious. But strange things have been swept from the supermarket shelves. I guess everyone has their own idea of basics. In case you need bread and have limited freezer storage, here is a Chilean classic:

Churrascas

2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (Royal)
1 1/2 Tablespoons lard (vegetable or other)
1 egg beaten a bit with warm water, start with 1/2 cup water

Mix the flour and baking powder. Add the lard and mix in with your fingers until it looks like rough sand (like for scones if you have ever made those). Pour the egg/water mix in the centre and go mixing in with your hands. Knead just enough to mix well. Rest for 5 mins while you heat a skillet. Form the dough into flat (about the thickness of a US style pancake), round breads. When the skillet is medium hot, brush a very small amount of oil on the bottom. Place as many breads as will fit in the skillet without touching each other. Cook 3 minutes each side, then again 3 minutes each side, then 2 minutes each side. Remember this is medium heat and you can adjust it to lower if needed. These are best eaten soon after making and really don't last more than the day they are made.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:50 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:23 pm
People should have already been stocking up to prepare for Part II of the social crisis. Let's see how Superlunes starts out the month then to the end of the month with Día del Joven Delinquente. Supposedly there will be 8 marches this month in San Antonio starting from the 2nd.

20 marches announced for Santiago. March 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 23, 25, 28, 29 and 31st of March. Courtesy of a student in the state system. Today was cyclists blocking one whole side of Av Apoquindo and half the other side at crossings. Trick was to tuck in behind a bus because those guys don't stop for anyone.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:03 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:23 pm
I was not prepared before, maybe because I live far from Santiago in a very safe quiet place. But if someone lives in more populated area they should always be ready, especially during this social crisis.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:06 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:50 pm
I always have a bit of food stocked for earthquakes. Added a bit more over the last few weeks to tide me over if I need to hunker down. I am in a higher risk group so am cautious. But strange things have been swept from the supermarket shelves. I guess everyone has their own idea of basics. In case you need bread and have limited freezer storage, here is a Chilean classic:

Churrascas

2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (Royal)
1 1/2 Tablespoons lard (vegetable or other)
1 egg beaten a bit with warm water, start with 1/2 cup water

Mix the flour and baking powder. Add the lard and mix in with your fingers until it looks like rough sand (like for scones if you have ever made those). Pour the egg/water mix in the centre and go mixing in with your hands. Knead just enough to mix well. Rest for 5 mins while you heat a skillet. Form the dough into flat (about the thickness of a US style pancake), round breads. When the skillet is medium hot, brush a very small amount of oil on the bottom. Place as many breads as will fit in the skillet without touching each other. Cook 3 minutes each side, then again 3 minutes each side, then 2 minutes each side. Remember this is medium heat and you can adjust it to lower if needed. These are best eaten soon after making and really don't last more than the day they are made.

Thanks for the recipe!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:11 pm

Yes, my wife makes this occasionally. It is an instant from scratch bread recipe when there is no conventional bread to be bought. Delicious hot off the pan with butter!
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:22 pm

only a surprise, to those that were not FUCKING paying attention!!!!

PDT_Armataz_01_40 PDT_Armataz_01_41
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:24 pm

oh, to the old timers on the forum, remember we have been here and done this before.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17391

same shit, different day is all.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:17 pm

I will admit what caught me by surprise was the government not even trying to control the stupidity.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:37 pm

Just a quick update from Santiago which seems pretty calm right now. Nice weather, but I have to say that if one more asshole tries to run me off the road in his F'ing maserati, or if one more asshole in a jaguar jumps a light and tries to run me down in the cross walk, I may change my mind about violence. ....and I used to own a jaguar, back in the true sports car days when a classy car went with a courteous driver.

It's such a shame that money does not at all equate with brains. Sigh. To admin - I don't think .gov can control stupidity. It is beyond all imaginable limits.