Introduction

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

no_hombre_de_aleman

Introduction

Post by no_hombre_de_aleman » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Hey,

Have been lurking this forum for a few months. Decided to sign up now that I have been in the country for two and a half weeks. I have been based in the area around Valparaiso/Viña del Mar. Just wanted to say hi, and express my gratitude for the useful information and vibrant discussion regarding all things Chile.

I am in the country to learn Spanish for day-of-court mediation work in California. So far my studies have been going well. There is a supportive culture of English/Spanish intercambios, as well as readily available instruction in topics such as grammar, pronunciation, and Chilean modismos.

Hope to be able to contribute something to the forum during my time here. Feel free to message me if you want to meet up, or if you know any good vegetarian restaurants. Thanks again

Kindly,
-ZZ

PS: username is from what people on the street often say about me, "Hombre de Alemán"

fraggle092

Re: Introduction

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:53 pm

no_hombre_de_aleman wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:49 pm
PS: username is from what people on the street often say about me, "Hombre de Alemán"
Hi. Welcome to Bananaland. Are you sure they don't call you "Hombre de Alemania" ?
Or just "Alemán" Either would be correct. Just sayin'.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:30 pm

welcome to the forum.

when you are done learning Chilean, you might want to spend time studying spanish in Colombia or something.

:lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

PaltaConPollo

Post by PaltaConPollo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:09 pm

On the subject of learning Spanish, the crisis in Venezuela has created a situation where online language teaching websites such as Italki have become flooded with Venezuelan Spanish teachers offering ridiculously low rates; its possible to get a 1-hour class for as little as $3.50/hr now. Granted, those charging the cheapest rates probably won't be fully qualified teachers, but if it's just conversation practice you're after it's insanely cheap, with the added bonus that Venezuelan Spanish is much easier to understand than the Chilean variety.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:16 pm

PaltaConPollo wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:09 pm
On the subject of learning Spanish, the crisis in Venezuela has created a situation where online language teaching websites such as Italki have become flooded with Venezuelan Spanish teachers offering ridiculously low rates; its possible to get a 1-hour class for as little as $3.50/hr now. Granted, those charging the cheapest rates probably won't be fully qualified teachers, but if it's just conversation practice you're after it's insanely cheap, with the added bonus that Venezuelan Spanish is much easier to understand than the Chilean variety.
If he didn't live in Chile then that price would be worth every penny. Chileans love speaking with gringos, just become friends and you will have non stop spanish conversation. They might laugh at you but its a nice caring laugh.

no_hombre_de_aleman

Post by no_hombre_de_aleman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:59 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:30 pm
welcome to the forum.

when you are done learning Chilean, you might want to spend time studying spanish in Colombia or something.

:lol:
Sí po, weón. :lol:

Many people have already said similar things to me, such as, "Why don't you go somewhere where they speak nice Spanish, like Peru."
vamoschile wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:16 pm
PaltaConPollo wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:09 pm
If he didn't live in Chile then that price would be worth every penny. Chileans love speaking with gringos, just become friends and you will have non stop spanish conversation. They might laugh at you but its a nice caring laugh.
Yeah, people have been interested to talk and show me their English skills, even if it is just hello, thank you, and asking for the time. I have been practicing in the tiendas with bored shopkeepers too.

Thanks for the welcomes!

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:25 pm

My advice if you are serious about learning spanish is to read, read, and read. I would recomend reading out load 30 minutes a day and reading normally 30 minutes a day in spanish. You will see more progress with this then anything else in my opinion. You couple reading with talking daily with Chileans and in 3-4 months you should feel pretty compfortable. Just my advice, also just know you need to enjoy the journey of learning another language, you will never be a native speaker but you could get to the point where you are ambigous where native speakers don't know if you are a native speaker from a far off spanish country or your Brasilian. None the less have fun!

chilly

Post by chilly » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:45 am

I agree reading can be great. What helps me is to go off tangent when reading. For instance, if you are reading about a certain road, start saying in Spanish something like when I was there, it was a blue road. Why is it black now? I’m going to go there and paint it blue... Or contradict whatever you are reading and say it in Spanish. Or exaggerate how whatever they have, you have it better.

In order to keep my language style as far away from English as possible, I intentionally use a more-forward part of my mouth to speak Spanish. To me it sounds less English-like because my English-speaking muscle memory isn’t involved.

chilly

Post by chilly » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:04 am

Also, YouTube of Chilean news stations will often have closed captioning in Spanish (excluding live broadcasts). Although they are not always accurate, I find them useful. You can speak along with the broadcast. Also, they can be played at reduced speed and repeated easily so that the really difficult sections can be somewhat understood. Of course I will never understand some of it but it helps me.

no_hombre_de_aleman

Post by no_hombre_de_aleman » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:08 am

Thanks so much, this is all really interesting. Appreciate the tips, especially on reading aloud and ways to do it.

DLPurser

Post by DLPurser » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:42 pm

Hello,
Returning member from many years ago. I'm afraid I had to re-register as I can't for the life of me remember my old log-in information.

I discovered Chile sometime in 2004. My job facilitated a visit about 4 times a month. I met my wife in 2007 while she was working in a restaurant in Santiago. I spoke no Spanish and she spoke no English. We moved to the US in 2012 but we are thinking about returning to the south of Chile within the next year.

I've posted questions on this forum in the past and always found the information here useful. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again.