AirBnB scam

General topics related to Living in Chile
fraggle092

AirBnB scam

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:48 pm

This summer in La Serena, we know at first hand of 5 recent cases, 1 just last night. Guests pay a cash deposit in advance. When they arrive, no apartment, no landlord. Contacts and phones go unanswered.

To make it worse, there is no alternative accommodation here this weekend, everywhere is full.

Caveat emptor.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Re: AirBnB scam

Post by admin » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:49 pm

yea, that has been around for a while now.

the other one to watch out for is uber and the like. never use uber in latin america.

they have been selling accounts. so a guy starts an account, drives and builds a rep, then sells or rents the account. then starts another one.

you have no way of knowing who is driving what car, do they have a license, insurance, etc.

good lick getting Uber to admit they have a problem.

all these "sharing" networks, are premised on an entirely different legal system.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Kavo

Post by Kavo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:58 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:48 pm
This summer in La Serena, we know at first hand of 5 recent cases, 1 just last night. Guests pay a cash deposit in advance. When they arrive, no apartment, no landlord. Contacts and phones go unanswered.

To make it worse, there is no alternative accommodation here this weekend, everywhere is full.

Caveat emptor.
Why would you not pay through AirBnB though? However that doesn’t help when you rock up somewhere and theres no place for you to stay

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Kavo wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:58 pm
fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:48 pm

Caveat emptor.
Why would you not pay through AirBnB though? However that doesn’t help when you rock up somewhere and theres no place for you to stay
Most renters prefer cash - no tax to declare.

Après moi, le déluge

mem

Post by mem » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:17 pm

I've only used Airbnb a few times almost 5 years ago in Chile when we first moved here. 1 place was in providencia and 1 was in caburgua. We left the caburgua one after 3 hours and went to a hotel it was so bad. Mold in the bathroom. The one in Santiago was ok. Both times were chileans and both paid through cc on Airbnb site.

I'd say if you want to use cash don't use Airbnb use the local listings. With a cc on Airbnb it protects the user. We were able to cancel for full refund when the place was u unacceptable

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:14 pm

Fuck AirBnB Chile, only had non-responses from them (and all those with supposed excellent records of responsiveness) probably because of my perceived ethnic background. Booking.com also has shitloads of vacation-type rentals and I have yet to have a problem with them. Of course, I always double-check on going direct vs. Booking.com but Booking.com Chile kicks ass compared to most third-party vendors.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:58 pm

I've been using Booking for the last four years after some bad experiences with AirBnb, and I've been really happy thus far. I always go with options that allow me to pay for the reservation online, and I only book places that have a good reputation.

Regarding the AirBnb scam, that's what you get for trying to go around the platform. :-D
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

proger

Post by proger » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:23 am

no biggy happen to me lots of time in Thailand, Philippines, Netherlands, Canada...

thats the price you pay sometimes with those apps, still worth it overall.

with aribnb- you have to contact them in support chat with the screenshots of the scam and they will return your money.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:46 am

admin wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:49 pm

the other one to watch out for is uber and the like. never use uber in latin america.

they have been selling accounts. so a guy starts an account, drives and builds a rep, then sells or rents the account. then starts another one.

you have no way of knowing who is driving what car, do they have a license, insurance, etc.

all these "sharing" networks, are premised on an entirely different legal system.
Uber has started to show a picture of the driver a few years back. If it's not a match, I don't get in. This happened two or three times, plus another one where the car plate didn't match.

I only get taxis in Chile if they look clean on the outside. My wife has every allergy under the sun, and taxis are usually very dirty around here. They also dislike giving receipts, which makes it a nightmare to do my weekly accounting.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:52 pm

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:57 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:46 am
admin wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:49 pm

Uber has started to show a picture of the driver a few years back. If it's not a match, I don't get in. This happened two or three times, plus another one where the car plate didn't match.

I only get taxis in Chile if they look clean on the outside. My wife has every allergy under the sun, and taxis are usually very dirty around here. They also dislike giving receipts, which makes it a nightmare to do my weekly accounting.
we have had good luck with easytaxi ap in Santiago.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:57 pm

That's the app that I use as well when I decide to go the taxi route. It hasn't been 100%, but it's better than playing taxi roulette.