Favorite Restaurants

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
vamoschile

Favorite Restaurants

Post by vamoschile » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:41 am

I searched the forum and only found a topic about the best Thai restaurant but nothing about favorite restaurants in Chile. I would like to know what is everyone’s favorite restaurant and the corresponding plate is to order at said restaurants. It doesn’t matter where the restaurant is nor the type of food as I travel throughout Chile. I am curious because I am having a really hard time trusting the google reviews when it comes to food in Chile. My wife and I have eaten at several restaurants in Santiago that had high reviews online to only be let down by actual trial. I assure you my and wife and I are not that picky, but we prefer quality over quantity. The best restaurant I would say we have found so far is in Santo Domingo called Juan Pescador(Admin I don't know if I being the one starting the topic can put a business name, if I can't please remove as I am not trying to spam or advertise). I wouldn’t say Juan Pescador isnt that great its just been the best so far… We got the Tuna and thought it was unique and had a decent taste. Anyways your thoughts on the best restaurants will be much obliged.

Thanks

bow26

Re: Favorite Restaurants

Post by bow26 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:34 am

Mine is Don Peyo in Ñuñoa, street is Lo Encalada near Crescente Errazuriz... a bit hard to find because it doesn’t have a sign and just looks like a house but there are always loads of cars outside. My dish to order is pastel de choclo but that’s because I live outside of Chile now so I miss that one, I’ve never had a bad meal from there with anything I’ve ordered.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:41 am

I too would like some good tips , I have had mixed sucess with restaurants in Chile and dont really have anything that I would describe as outstanding or memorable.
Please if anyone has some good tips that would be appreciated, I eat out at restaurants less and less here now these days, generally prefer an asado at home or dinner at and with friends. There are a few cheap and cheerful ones around, but a lot of pretentious wannabes that of course popular with locals. If I had to pick some favorite in Puerto Varas for seafood I would say Casa Valdez is probably the best restaurant overall too. Bravo Cabrera is good too for bistro, restaurant pub food . For beef La Marca is quite good, worth a visit.
“Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:53 am

I'll bite.

For out of the way restaurants, Martin Pescador in Futalefue.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... egion.html

My wife and I just finish a full drive around the Patagonia of Argentina and Chile. We ate at a lot of really great places, but Martin Pescador really deserves a Michelin star or two. We have known Tati and Mich for years, and Tati keeps improving the menu every year. She is big on promoting organic and indigenous foods.

It also happens to be one of the only fine dining restaurants in all of Palena.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:57 am

In frutillar, the Italian restaurant at the theater del lago is good.

The Tropera for burgers or other bar food, and micro brew beer. They are moving to a new location in town later this year. they are currently on the beach at patagonia virgin.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:07 pm

For Spanish food, I like going to Txipirón in Viña del Mar. They have very good tapas and paellas.
Banchan Nara is a nice Korean dig in Santiago. It's on Loreto street, in Recoleta.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:34 pm

ibis, puerto varas, for sea food. My wife and i have been going there for nearly 20 years.

last year I had a plate of seafood that was slightly off. I called over the waiter and said, "please take this as a compliment, not a complaint, but for the first time in nearly 19 years I have to send this plate back".

They laughed and promptly fixed it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:39 pm

japon del lago in puerto varas is my favorite for sushi.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:48 pm

for some of the best steaks in Chile, cotale in puerto montt

https://www.google.com/search?q=cota+le ... e&ie=UTF-8

they have a very unique and simple menue. the guy running the asado comes around to your table with a cutting board full of meat. you decide the type and size of the cut. they grill it on a grill in the middle of the restaurant.

they have a salad, baked potato as side, and not much else on the menu; but you won't need it.

they know how to age their meet.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:56 pm

funny story about the cotale. one of our clients use to own it. he asked us to help him sell it a few years back. My wife and I told him, "o.k., but under the condition you never ever tell anyone we helped you sell it".

we were concerned that our other clients that go there regularly would be really pissed at us after the sale, when the quality crashed or it closed.

we also had personal conflict of interest: best steak in chile vs. representing the interest of our client.

luckily for us, the sale went smoothly and the new owner has kept the quality up.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:01 pm

FYI, the cotale is a small but popular restaurant. you will want to make reservations. we have seen 1 hour waits for people with no reservations at lunch and on the weekends.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:07 pm

Naoki for japanese / Peruvian fusion. Osaka as second choice
Brunapoli for pizzas
Pastamore does pretty good pasta
Rubiyat for meat
Just found the Fuente Belgica with lots of Belgian beers and the best french fries I have tried in Santiago.

All Eastern Santiago