Overstay on a Tourist Visa for a Week

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
a4xiaoxiami

Overstay on a Tourist Visa for a Week

Post by a4xiaoxiami » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:23 am

I have a tourist visa, valid for 7 days, single entry.

However, I plan to stay in Chile for 14 days.

I know I can just pay for fines before I leave Chile at Departemento Entrageria y Migracion in downtown Santiago.

I would like to know:

1. Do I need to make an online appointment before I go there?
2. Besides the downtown Santiago, is there any other places that I can pay the fine?
3. How much is the fine if I only overstay for additional 7 days?

Many thanks in advance.

a4xiaoxiami

Re: Overstay on a Tourist Visa for a Week

Post by a4xiaoxiami » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:12 am

It seems that I can also extend (amplica) my visa up to 90 days free of charge.

Does anyone have any idea about the procedure?

chilly

Post by chilly » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:52 am

What country are you from?

I think this is the web site for the offices with a link to make an appointment:
https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/oficinas/

This may be the place where the fines are listed:
https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/sanciones/

I don't know how it really works.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:03 am

They have an office at Santiago airport where you can get the fines calculated so you can pay them. They only do that there is you have a flight on the same day (or a weekend flight, if you go there on a Friday).

You'll need to pay the fine at a bank, and Chilean banks open from 9 am to 2 pm. So it may require some planning to be able to pay while not losing your flight.

BTW, you may want to contact them to check for more information beforehand. If your nationality is restricted to a 7 days tourist visa, you may be subject to different rules. Their phone number is available at the Extranjeria website.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 pm

I am not sure why you got 7 days as the norm is 90. So you may not be eligible for the extension. If you had to obtain a visa in a Chilean consulate abroad before coming to Chile, those have different rules. Do not just double the time you were allowed and hope that a fine will solve your problems.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 pm

the fact the OP hid the country of origin, is why I am not answering this.

always a red flag
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Here's an overstay story. Not one week, but actually like 8 weeks...

I entered Chile in July 2010 as a 90 day tourist with the intent to switch over to a student visa about a month in. I went through the process and actually got my visa in the passport in Oct 2010, but I never got around to getting the stamp from the PDI and getting a cedula. When I tried to leave in Dec 2010, I was denied to travel at the PDI at the airport and told that I would need to reschedule my flight, go back to the extranjeria in Santiago and deal with the immigration sanction (they waived it at no cost and I did the hard part to get the visa and was a legitimate exchange student), go get my PDI stamp, and go pay for a cedula. With the stamped visa and the in-process letter for the cedula, I was allowed to leave the country 3 days later than initially expected.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

a4xiaoxiami

Post by a4xiaoxiami » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:39 am

admin wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 pm
the fact the OP hid the country of origin, is why I am not answering this.

always a red flag
Just for the record, I am a Chinese citizen but working and based in South Africa.

I applied my tourist visa in Chilean Consular in Pretoria, South Africa.

If I had US B1/B2 visa, I would be eligible to apply for Chile Tourist Visa on line and will be granted with 90 days tourist visa. Unfortunately, I do not have it.

I heard from another Chinese travelling forum that Chinese can extend (ampliación) my tourist visa up till 90 days when we get Chile, either in Metropolitan area (Santiago) or local offices. But I need more details about the procedure.

a4xiaoxiami

Post by a4xiaoxiami » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:44 am

If I want to extend (ampliar) my tourist visa, can I do it on the same day in the Extrajería y Migración office at the airport of Santiago the same day that I arrive, or I have to make an appointment?

Many thanks in advance.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:20 am

You are not going to be able to extend a consular visa. They have a very specific time frame. If they gave you 7 days in a consulate they are not going to extend that to double the time in Santiago. If you believe otherwise, go back to the Chinese travel forum and ask for details about how they did it. It may be that those people had a US visa which allowed them 90 days.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:53 pm

In Timatic, the US Visa Chinese citizens are treated like visa exempt visitors which would technically mean they should be eligible for in-country extension. But non US Visa Chinese citizens are treated as above stated as consular visa tourists with all the restrictions they come with.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

a4xiaoxiami

Post by a4xiaoxiami » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:09 pm

Thank you very much for your inputs.

https://www.chileatiende dot gob dot cl/fichas/3814-ampliacion-de-turismo

This website said the visa with less than 90 days of stay can be extended (ampliación) to 90 days without cost.

I am going to try to do it anyway.

The worst case scenario is just to pay the fine before I leave the country for overstay just for a week, which is about USD 50/person.

Even if they put me into the blacklist, I will probably not be able to visit Chile again in my life. It is the most far away country in the world from China, and I do not have any intention to back there in a foreseeable future.

I will try my best to tell you what happened in the end when I come back in March.

Adios!