Are yu happy with capital controls and cash limits in Chile?

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
tiagoabner

Re: Are yu happy with capital controls and cash limits in Chile?

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:54 pm

Chile does have anti money-laundering laws, and you need to declare anything over USD $10,000 in cash when you enter the country.

It's very common to withdraw cash in Chilean pesos at ATMs (there are fees, discussed at another topic. TL;DR Banco Estado is your friend), and I'm not aware about any limitations on withdrawals other than those imposed by your bank.

Also, bank accounts exist and international transfers are cheap and relatively easy.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:42 pm

To build on what Tiago said with my own experience. Another AML/KYC trigger I have experienced with sellers of assets and you are paying all physical cash is a boundary as low as $3K USD equivalent in CLP. When there is paperwork, it is not a big deal, it involves showing tier1 identification (valid passport or I guess valid carnet) them getting a photocopy of it and you signing a form statement that says what the source of the funds is (salary, stock market, etc).

So basically I have encountered two different trigger points depending on the institution within Chile that you are doing large transactions with in cash. $3K USD and $10K USD

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:13 am

You can do whatever you want to bring in cash ATM or walking into the country over time wise, but the moment you officially "invest" in something including a simple bank CD, the questions and evidence of origin of funds will arise at probably the thresholds posted by mem.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:12 am

WTF is this guy going on about?

Let's see. You have no money, yet you are worried about about reporting it?

There is no capital controls or limits on chile.

If you want to launder illegal money, try Panama. They are the best in the world

I am seriously scratching the ban button with this trolling, because I am seeing a bunch of snippets of info from articles that have been floating around the internet.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.