CRAZY PHONE CALLS, and THE CHILEAN MAIL

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

CRAZY PHONE CALLS, and THE CHILEAN MAIL

Post by admin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:24 pm

I have been getting the most ridiculous phone calls and emails for some time now about mail system in Chile. Some of them at 3 to 5 A.M. in the morning from various African countries asking for the contact info for the Chilean post office. I have also been getting calls from Haitens and other nationals from inside Chile about it.

I don't know what people are readying online, but wrong number.

WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MAIL SYSTEM IN CHILE!!!!!!

WE WILL NOT ASSIST YOU WITH DHL, CHILE EXPRESS, Correos Chile, or any other mailing or shipping company in Chile. we have nothing at all to do with them.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Re: DO NOT CONTACT US ABOUT THE CHILEAN MAIL OR PACKAGES!!!!!

Post by 41southchile » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:42 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:24 pm
I have been getting the most ridiculous phone calls and emails for some time now about mail system in Chile. Some of them at 3 to 5 A.M. in the morning from various African countries asking for the contact info for the Chilean post office. I have also been getting calls from Haitens and other nationals from inside Chile about it.

I don't know what people are readying online, but wrong number.

WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MAIL SYSTEM IN CHILE!!!!!!

WE WILL NOT ASSIST YOU WITH DHL, CHILE EXPRESS, Correos Chile, or any other mailing or shipping company in Chile. we have nothing at all to do with them.
:lol: people are so effing stupid, I honestly question how humanity will survive when I hear about dumb assses like that . It's Like the clowns that ring 911 number to ask some inane friggin question like what time does McDonald's close or some shit like that .
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:36 pm

a few years ago i use to get calls for hotel reservations and lan airlines for a while.

I joked to my wife, after call 1 million, we should just open a tourism agency and make the bookings.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:21 pm

When I was growing up in NYC, I had a friend who’s phone number was one digit off from a pizza place. When someone called to place an order, he just said “ OK, about a half hour “ and hung up.

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:23 pm

In response to 41south’s question about how these people survive, remember, survival is an instinct. It doesn’t require much thought.
Best Wishes to everyone for a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:23 pm

I really need to start a thread on the 'the most bat shit crazy phone calls and people that have ever contacted us'.

I don't even mean like people I detest on a political sociological level.

I mean people that I do not need a copy of the DSM-9 to diagnose. People that go do far off the chart, ...........there is no chart.

Let me put it this way. I do not post or provide too much info about where I live, and my security measures, as policy. That policy exist because of experience running this buisness and forum. I never thought when I started this forum, it might be life threatening. turns out it is.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:44 am

admin wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:23 pm
I really need to start a thread on the 'the most bat shit crazy phone calls and people that have ever contacted us'.

I don't even mean like people I detest on a political sociological level.

I mean people that I do not need a copy of the DSM-9 to diagnose. People that go do far off the chart, ...........there is no chart.

Let me put it this way. I do not post or provide too much info about where I live, and my security measures, as policy. That policy exist because of experience running this buisness and forum. I never thought when I started this forum, it might be life threatening. turns out it is.
Is there any crazy people story that you can share? This has picked up my interest. I wonder how crazy people can be when your company is pretty clear-cut in terms of what you do.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:26 am

Let's see, a couple of oldy but goodies.

lady calls me up. she wants to move to chile. so far so good, but something is just slightly off with her speech pattern. being able to quickly evaluate accents, education levels, country, etc, from people's speech is a very useful thing in our line of work.

I detect she is midwestern american, grewup in a city, possibly african American, but something else I can not put my finger on.

conversation is all fairly normal, until ...

She asks, "can you come over to my house so we can talk about my visa"?

she starts giving me her address, in the south side of Chicago ( notorious ghetto territory).

I am like sorry, we don't do that. I am not even in the country.

she get's mad at me, and keeps insisting. At this point it is obvious she high, drunk, or crazy. Finally I am like, just to get her off the phone with a 'go away price', "fine, but I have to charge you $100,000 u.s."

She goes, " great, I'lll pay you when you get here".

I hung up the phone at that point.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:52 am

next one, this older American women calls us and says she had just arrived in puerto montt from a cruise ship, loves it there, and wants to buy house from this old lady she met.

now, loving puerto montt should have been sort of a red flag, but hey we have had a few people for various reasons move to Puerto montt over the years. very few loved it. mostly they are 'boat people' that are sailing around the world, and PM is a good harbor to get work done. some stay long term. most move to puerto varas however to live.

so she makes an appointment to visit our office in frutillar.

she does not show up. no call, email, nothing. It happens, but in all the years we have done this I can not really recall it happening to us. people reschedule, call to cancel, etc.

Then she calls a few days later to apologized, makes another appointment. does not show up.

at this point, we have decided we are not taking her as a client, just as a buisness decision. Too much time invested, for a little tiny property deal.

Then like a month later she calls, says she is in town, and wants to come to our office. O.k., since she is here.

she arrives, and it takes about 30 seconds for my wife and I to realize, she is not o.k. She just is kind of all over the place with her discussion; but she seems nice enophe. she stays for 4 hours. we can't get rid of her. we can't find a polite way to end the conversation.

If I had to diagnose this one, I would say some sort of bipolar disorder; but, I did not get the sense she was dangerous I also did not want to find out the hard way. Not our job.

finally she leaves. we never hear from her again. o.k.

about 6 months later she calls me. she is in Valparaiso. She tells me she has checked herself in to a mental institution.

here is the kicker. she wants to borrow money from us to pay the mental hospital.

yea, not going to happen. she was not even a client. we hardly knew the woman. she never payed us a peso.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:57 am

after that one, I set a policy of not leaving my wife to make first contact with new clients in person alone ever again. I or someone else is always there for the first meeting. That lady was relatively harmless, but she could have been dangerious.

we are also very careful about unannounced drop ins or unscheduled visits.

It was also a major part of the decision about selecting our office in Santiago. It has crazy levels of security. besides key cards, cameras, security doors, there is like 20 security guards in the building at any time that are just a panic button away. besides just ho hum crime in Santiago, we also do a lot of child custody and divorce cases through that office; and those tend to bring out the crazy in even relatively normal people.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:33 am

o.k., another classic.

guy calls me up, says he wants to buy property in Chile. My first impression is he is from new york or east coast American, but not born there. possibly turkish or middle east orginally, but lived in the states for decades.

o.k. we can do that. what are you looking for?

he then starts this long rambling, one sided discussion, about real estate all over the world.

o.k., I politely listen. hoping to get some sort of clues as to what sort of real estate he wants to buy, or what sort of assistance he might need. something.

this goes on for about 30 mins, and I still have no clue what he wants. he has talked about everything on the planet, but chile. finally I decide steer this conversation back a bit to Chile. I start asking very specific questions.

so, I am like o.k., so do you want commercial real estate? do you want big property? how much do you want to spend?

He is like, well you are the expert, you tell me?

I am like, well I need to narrow this down a bit, chile is a big country with a lot of different types of real estate.

He starts getting angry, and goes off on another wondering conversation for another like 15 mins about everything but Chile.

I am 45 mins in to this conversation, and I still don't know what he wants. At this point I simply don't care anymore. I have been hanging on the line to this point just to see if he would make a point. I decided back around 15 mins in to the conversation, there was no way we were taking this guy as a client.

so finally I am like I got to go. I am trying politely end the conversation. He starts screaming at me on the phone and threatening to kill me.

that point, I just hung up.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:51 am

o.k., one more. this one is pretty recent, and I am not even sure I can do the level of crazy justice.

guy calls me up, and says, "I filed for a visa in chile, and I need help completing my immigration application".

o.k. I am thinking 'so far, so good'. That is as far as the good went.

I ask "so, what sort of visa did you file for"?

he says, "refugee status".

bingo, we have a winner. I suspect this guy is completely off his rocker. His accent, education level, etc tells me he is a white male from the United States, west coast, relatively young 20 to 30 years old, well read, well traveled, some higher education.

no one in chile is giving an American refugee status.

but, perhaps, he just made a terrible mistake. I'll give him a very very little bit of the benefit of the doubt, simply because so far we have only exchange about 30 seconds of conversation, and a couple of sentences. not a lot to work with for at least diagnoses purposes, never mind taking him as a client.

I ask the next, very loaded and logical question, "why did you file for refugee status"?

here we go.

he says the following,

He hired some argentinean lawyers and they stole 17,000 dollars from him to get him a refugee visa in chile, and that he wants to sue them to get his money back.

I am thinking, o.k., well that explains it. maybe he is not crazy, and he just got scammed by an Argentinean attorney. some of the biggest losses and complex cases we have ever dealt with involved scams run by argentinean attorneys on Americans in Chile. I am also thinking, 'ooo, dude you are never getting your money back, ever'.

so, just to check, I decide to hit some triggers. I have a little bit of academic experience from my university days dealing with and studying paranoid schizophrenics I was in the philosophy of mind / AI /language department, but my best friend was a grad student in psychology. we collaborated on a paper studying a paranoid schizophrenia. one hallmark of paranoid schizophrenia are that they weave these complex fantasies/ delusions, that tend to fall apart or implode in to gibberish fairly easily when questioned, vs. say someone that is fairly saine but just pulling your leg / yanking your chain.

so I ask, 'why did you hire an argentinean attorney to file an immigration visa in Chile'?

he says,

he was in Argentina, tried to file a refugee application, and he had to run away because the corrupt police were trying to kill him. He also tried to file for refugee status in Australia, and they deported him to Chile

I interject a question, "you are American, why did Australia deport you to Chile"?

he says,

because the American government has secretly killed 700,000 Americans in concentration camps, and they were trying to kill him because he found out about it and was going to let the secret out, and he begged the carbinareios in chile to let him stay, and he is in a hotel in front of plaza itialia, and he spends all day curled up in a ball just crying, and if he goes to the police they will deport him, and .... and on and on and on.

That does not even capture the rambling incoherent nature of that conversation, because I probably had to clean it up too much just to even write it.

I am like sorry we don't do refugee visa applications, and you need to contact the department of immigration.

he just goes down the rabbit hole from there with this desperate rambling conversation that makes no sense at all and I have to hang up.

I look at my phone logs. he called from a UK phone number. I realized about 99% of everything he said, was bits and pieces gathered straight out of recent news articles and various conspiracy theory type websites. I dont think he was even in Chile, and I did not want to find out.