entering Peru with Carnet only?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

blade33ru

entering Peru with Carnet only?

Post by blade33ru » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:18 am

HI , i have all paid trip to Peru in January, but i notice my US passport has expired. I do have permanent residence and Chilean carnet. Can u enter Peru with that only or do i have to do some major expediting of new passport?

tiagoabner

Re: entering Peru with Carnet only?

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:43 am

You need a passport if the country you're a national of doesn't have an agreement with Peru allowing you to travel with your ID only. This doesn't have anything to do with your Chilean permanent resident status.

Source: https://www.migraciones.gob.pe/index.ph ... tranjeros/
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

RocketRichard

Post by RocketRichard » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:34 pm

I have entered Peru several times at the Arica crossing point with only my carnet and never had an issue.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:35 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:43 am
You need a passport if the country you're a national of doesn't have an agreement with Peru allowing you to travel with your ID only. This doesn't have anything to do with your Chilean permanent resident status.

Not so sure about that. I have travelled to practically all the countries in South America only using my Chilean cedula. No problems whatsoever. I however always carry my passport as well just in case

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:28 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:35 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:43 am

Not so sure about that. I have travelled to practically all the countries in South America only using my Chilean cedula. No problems whatsoever. I however always carry my passport as well just in case
The Peruan government website specifies the need for a travel ID, and I couldn't find any official reference on their website regarding them accepting Chilean foreigner IDs. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't advise traveling without one's passport, just in case.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:58 pm

Agreed on always carrying the passport as well, but I have been to Peru more than 10 times only showing my cedula. Never had any problems

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:07 pm

I have been to most of south America on just my ID, both as a permanent resident and citizen.

Still, given the option, I would never travel with just one ID.

last year my wife had her wallet stolen in Argentina with her chilean ID. we were scheduled to fly back the next day. It did not turn in to a mega expensive beucratic hassel because I had her passport stashed.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

blade33ru

Post by blade33ru » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:07 pm

thanks for the replies. i could see crossing the border in car would be less tedious. anyone gone thru the airport with just a carnet? maybe ill call latam and ask them clearly having passport would be best option but i still havent sent it out for renewal and......doh

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:22 pm

I previously wrote about my experience at BOG where my Chile PR carnet was not accepted and I had to dig out my US passport.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:58 pm

All mine were in the airport.
In BOG, once or twice they asked questions, but the supervisors normally know the rules. In LIM I have never been asked anything in regards to my passport

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:08 pm

all airport except, for some land crossings in to Argentina.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:11 pm

The one to watch put for is any country with a u.s. citizen reciprocity fee. i refused to go to Argentina when KFC was president because of her fee for anyone born in the u.s.; including, argentinean citizens born in the u.s.

once they lifted it, i started traveling there again.