Voter address change closes 27th Dec, for April Vote

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Re: Voter address change closes 27th Dec, for April Vote

Post by admin » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:12 am

well, this whole fiasco sort of perfectly illustrates my biggest fear about this whole constitutional rewrite process.

It is the 'woops, we forgot something' problem, as they are throwing out everything and the kitchen sink to renovate the entire political and legal system of the country. It will be the fine details, that most likely will be missed.

It is why I am telling all foriegners in Chile, if you qualify for citizenship, FILE NOW!!!!!

I have heard some really silly excuses from people recently for why they don't want to file. Like some say they want to wait to see what happens, or maybe it will be easier.

Are you kidding me?

All your rights, if you are not a citizen, are directly tied to the current constitution. They are hard coded in the constitution.

If they do a 'woops' in writing the new one, and either intentionally or by accident, leave something out, it might be years, possibly decades, (possibly never), before Congress get's around to fixing it or the courts get around to ruling on it; and there is still no guarantee you are going to like it (the very structure of the courts might change).

You might not even have the right to citizenship when this new constitution is done. For example, they could change the rules. what if they say you have to be in chile for 10, 20, 30 years to qualify? what if they say 'only three headed aliens from Mars can apply for citizenship'?

what if they get a bug up their rear, and say 'foriegners can not own property'? That is protected in the constitution right now. It would not be crazy, because right now certain foreigners are already excluded from owning certain types of property (e.g. argentinean nationals can not own land 20 km from the boarder).

My point is, do not assume anything about what comes out the other end of this process. THIS IS A CONSTITUTIONAL REWRITE, not some vague modification of a current law.

what I can tell you, as a citizen, you are buying insurance that at least you will have as many rights as a native born chileans on the otherside of this process.

Everything else is a question mark.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:12 am
well, this whole fiasco sort of perfectly illustrates my biggest fear about this whole constitutional rewrite process.

It is the 'woops, we forgot something' problem, as they are throwing out everything and the kitchen sink to renovate the entire political and legal system of the country. It will be the fine details, that most likely will be missed.

It is why I am telling all foriegners in Chile, if you qualify for citizenship, FILE NOW!!!!!

I have heard some really silly excuses from people recently for why they don't want to file. Like some say they want to wait to see what happens, or maybe it will be easier.

Are you kidding me?

All your rights, if you are not a citizen, are directly tied to the current constitution. They are hard coded in the constitution.

If they do a 'woops' in writing the new one, and either intentionally or by accident, leave something out, it might be years, possibly decades, (possibly never), before Congress get's around to fixing it or the courts get around to ruling on it; and there is still no guarantee you are going to like it (the very structure of the courts might change).

You might not even have the right to citizenship when this new constitution is done. For example, they could change the rules. what if they say you have to be in chile for 10, 20, 30 years to qualify? what if they say 'only three headed aliens from Mars can apply for citizenship'?

what if they get a bug up their rear, and say 'foriegners can not own property'? That is protected in the constitution right now. It would not be crazy, because right now certain foreigners are already excluded from owning certain types of property (e.g. argentinean nationals can not own land 20 km from the boarder).

My point is, do not assume anything about what comes out the other end of this process. THIS IS A CONSTITUTIONAL REWRITE, not some vague modification of a current law.

what I can tell you, as a citizen, you are buying insurance that at least you will have as many rights as a native born chileans on the otherside of this process.

Everything else is a question mark.
Sounds like I should heed the advice and just start the process soon. With the pending move and change of address coming up, I was planning to start this once we were living in our new home outside of Santiago, but it's been over a year now since I signed the "promesa" and reserved a house, I guess I should just get the ball rolling and worry about having to pick up important mail one day at an old address if it comes to that.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:37 pm

Oops we forgot Quebec, well not really.......the idiot father of our present PM wanted a tea party with the Queen so he rushed through the Canadian Constitution without Quebec, they still haven’t signed on, but they get all the Supreme Court seats and benefits written in the Constitution, Chile may end up in the same situation if something is forgotten....... ;)
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:05 pm

I am just going to label this generically 'the kitchen sink problem'; or perhaps, 'baby with bath water' problem.

Chile through out the kitchen sink or the baby with the bath water, and now let's see how long it takes then to notice it is missing.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.